Thread: Knee Arthritis from Scoliosis Surgery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Knee Arthritis from Scoliosis Surgery

Hi Everyone:

I'm fused from T2 - L3.

I've read a few postings here about people who are fused to the sacrum having toe and heel problems because they stand differently after surgery, but I haven't seen anything about arthritis of the knees resulting from Harrington Rod surgery. I am 48, and three years ago I came down with painful arthritis in both knees. Injections helped for a year, but now they don't help anymore, and the pain is awful. I can't walk more than two blocks without my left knee flaring up for weeks on end. I have Degenerative Disc Disease below my fusion, and I cannot express to all of you how difficult it is to have knees that don't support your broken spine. Walking was the ONE exercise I could always do, even with a fused spine. Now, I can't even do that. Even going up the six steps to my house flares my knee up! I've read that Scoliosis flatback can cause knee problems, but have found no further info on this. Plus, I've been told I only have mild flatback, if at all. I've asked the spinal surgeons and they all won't comment, I guess they don't know, they say to see a knee surgeon. Trying to get knee replacement surgery at age 48 is difficult as the surgeons don't want to do it on younger people because later on you will need a revision. Plus, whenever I see a non-spinal doctor, they have NO understanding of what Scoliosis surgery really is. Please, if anyone has any info on younger people coming down with knee problems because of Scoliosis surgery, let me know. I've got to find a way to convince some knee surgeon to operate on me, I can't go on not being able to walk! Walking is painful enough with my spine. I have to think of some way to impress on the knee doctor that the two things - knees and spine - are too much, that because of my scoli surgeries I need to be put in a different category than just a younger person with bad knees. Any ideas or research on this, please let me know. Thank you!
    Last edited by Tableone; 08-25-2014 at 12:22 PM.

may i ask how many knee surgeons you have met with so far...?

i have knee problems with scoliosis...have not had scoli surgery...but both my knees are now bad...no idea how it happened...a cyst on one, medeal miniscus (splg?) tear on other, arthritis in both knees, etc...
    it can be hell to try to walk...and going downhill or down stairs is worst...

surgeons have told me they don't like to do knee surgery on people in their 60's...so i do not know WHO it is they DO like to do knee surgery for...
    is there anyway they can repair your knees without full
    replacement...?

how many knee surgeons have you met with so far...????

jess...and Sparky
    Last edited by jrnyc; 08-25-2014 at 07:09 AM.

Jess, I have not had knee surgery yet, although I've seen two knee surgeons with my managed health plan. I have left that plan now and gone into independent MediCare and Medi-Cal, so I will be trying to see other surgeons. I just had an MRI done of my knees in addition to X ray, so hopefully that will help show what's wrong. I do stand often with my left knee sort of "locked."

Has anybody else with Scoliosis surgery or severe Scoliosis like Jess had knee arthritis at a younger age?

Thanks!

My knee surgeon at UCI operates on people when they need it, not a particular age

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

December 8, 2014 - Another Broken Rod Surgery

Arthritis Set In Seversl Months After Surgery

I, too, have experienced the onset of arthritis postop. Docs thought it was RA but instead it's osteoarthritis and trochanteric bursitis which is sometimes caused by DDD in the lumbar. The pain got so bad I wasn't able to continue with my daily walking routine. After going on med after med, I decided I didn't want to be on meds any more. Several months ago, I was able to put together a supplement routine that has greatly finished the pain so much so that I'm walking again.

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Update on knees

So I have now seen two knee surgeons who say I have Chondromalacia Patella, which is a breakdown in the cartilage under the knee caps, or in other words, pre-arthritis. No one will do surgery yet, so I will try the Hyaluronic Acid injections to see if that helps. Have already done the Kenalog injections, and they no longer help.

I also saw an adult deformity revisionist surgeon today who said that my knee arthritis had nothing to do with my Scoliosis, and that even her flatback patients don't have knee problems. However, all the literature on flatback state that knee problems can result from it.

Anyway, at this point I don't even care anymore about my painful knees. The visit with the deformity surgeon was depressing, the surgeon was depressing, too, and it is now obvious to me that even though I wasn't given a flatback surgery, that I am indeed screwed.

Thanks for listening.