Two revision surgeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two revision surgeries

Well I finally have some answers to what is causing some of my problems . I have my rods joined at about the t-10 or t11 area. I also have a cross connector in that area. I have had nerve problems in my left chest since the rods were joined. That was over 3 years ago. Well the latest ct scan showed a possible nerve being impinged at that area. At the end of August I will have t6 through t10 left hardware removed. The Dr will cut the rod and remove the screws, cross connector and the domino connector.( left side only). I will then (hopefully)have relief of the nerve pain in the chest wall.I am praying that this helps. It may also help the scapula move better also. The second problem is another cervical disc has ruptured into the spinal cord. I am already fused c5-6-7. This is c-4 . That surgery will be several months after the thoracic hardware removal. I am so glad to be able to find an answer to these problem. It sounds crazy but I will be happy to get relief from the pain and off of the meds!!! Amen! Jackie
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Best of luck with both of your surgeries. Relief is in sight!
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Wow! I hope that this does it. It is frustrating to tell someone that you have pain and they cannot figure out where it is coming from.
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I hope that you will get pain relief and that all goes well

Melissa
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Jackie, its good to see a plan in place.......

I have read about cross members in the past but cant remember why and when they use them. Maybe Linda would know? I have never seen any discussions on this subject matter here.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Ed, the cross connectors go between the right and left hardware. Now I have what the Dr calls domino connectors. I have 4 rods as first I was fused t10 to pelvis. I fractured t9 side days out of surgery.so then I was fused t2 to t10. They did not remove the original rod but put the new one along side of the first one. Then they connected them with what looks like a band of metal. This is the "domino connector". But my space between my vertebrae is limited. The Dr says that I am build too small. This area has always been a problem. They are to remove the left side only. I have a question. Do I get to keep the removed hardware?I would at least like to see it.
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
              Hi Ed, the cross connectors go between the right and left hardware. Now I have what the Dr calls domino connectors. I have 4 rods as first I was fused t10 to pelvis. I fractured t9 side days out of surgery.so then I was fused t2 to t10. They did not remove the original rod but put the new one along side of the first one. Then they connected them with what looks like a band of metal. This is the "domino connector". But my space between my vertebrae is limited. The Dr says that I am build too small. This area has always been a problem. They are to remove the left side only. I have a question. Do I get to keep the removed hardware?I would at least like to see it.
              We use to routinely give patients any implants that were explanted, but I haven't seen that happening recently. I've been trying to give our Pathology lab to release a broken rod so I can send it to the manufacturer for analysis, but was told that all implants were sent to Pathology and that Pathology won't release them unless Risk Management approves it. I don't know if that's just UCSF policy, or if it's the common practice. No matter what, it can't hurt to ask your surgeon for the implants.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

What I mean is that you will see constructs like mine without cross connectors and some with one or a few. Companies might recommend a cross pc for certain parameters, with the surgeon making the final call. Its not like every T2-L3 construct has the exact same connectors in the same spots on every case. I noticed this years ago, especially with full fusions like mine, others has cross connectors and I didn’t. Is the extra support worth having that extra pc of metal possibly causing havoc?

Every surgeon has to weigh out every single pc of hardware that’s used. Every screw that’s driven in adds support, but at what cost? I had screws inserted on each level, but males have larger pedicles which make them easier to place.....The screws are driven in on angles due to anatomy and form a very strong triangular shape, almost like a tower. I’m wondering why these cross pcs are actually necessary?

I hope its as simple as removing that one pc that’s causing all the pain.....It would be nice if this was an immediate thing but you know that healing has to happen and nerves can be stubborn when it comes to healing.

Operate and wait and see. That’s all we can do.

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

When I had my revision for broken rods I also asked Dr Hart to take out the single pelvic screw I had. That left SI or screw area had bothered me since surgery. Since I was about 15 months post-op he said it would be fine to remove it. I asked him for it as a remembrance, and I did get it back. I still have it and look at it occasionally. It is pretty huge!

It seems in general that patients don't usually get explanted things back. There is more resistance now about giving back items that have been in someone's body due to contamination with blood and body fluids. I work in invasive cardiology and we used to routinely offer patients their old pacemakers and defibrillator generators back when they got replaced. That practice has pretty much gone by the wayside.

Jackie good luck with your upcoming surgeries! I really hope they are going to help you with your long-standing pain, and I'm glad you are finally getting some help.
                  Gayle, age 50
                  Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                  Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                  Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                  2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                  2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Well I am just days away from surgery to remove parts of the hardware. I am off of some of meds and struggling with that but it should be over soon. It has taken a long time to get here . This part of the hardware has been there for over 3 years, and I have had issues for that long. I started getting serious about a solution last December. The doctor has always been straight forward about being reluctant to remove it. But the ctrl scan showed part of it is on the intercostal left nerve. I will be glad to have it get the chance to get better. This is still part of a workers comp case and the hospital wants 40,000 dollars upfront. Good luck with that!!! I am amazed that this small part of removal is to cost up to 60.000 dollars. I still need to call the legal part of this as I don't have that amount of money to pay up front. It isn't like I don't have additional insurance. Oh well just another hassle. I just don't want this cancelled. It has been so long to get this close.
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Osteotomy

Comment

Hi Jackie,

Best of luck in the coming days - I hope you can get all the financials dealt with and get the surgery done. You have waited so long to get some relief.

Please let us know how everything goes.
                      Gayle, age 50
                      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

All the very best to you Jackie. I hope this surgery is the last and you have a quick and smooth recovery.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Well tomorrow should be the hardware removal day. It has been a long time coming. The hospital has asked for 40.000 dollars upfront. By the settlement contract I can not pay them until a bill occurs. So I can not give them that. My attorney has faxed a document to them that states that. I am liable for the funds to be paid a certain way. And risk a lot if I do it wrong. It will work out I am sure. But such aggravation!! Some how it just doesn't seem right. A deposit is one thing but that is even more than I was given.
                          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                          Right scapulectomy 6/15
                          Broken neck 9/28/2018
                          Osteotomy

Comment

Good luck, Jackie! Not just with the surgery-I hope all the financials get settled quickly for you. You don't need that added stress right now. Will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending healing vibes so you may recover quickly.
                            Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
                            Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
                            Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Comment

First one done .so far so goodĦĦĦ
                              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                              Right scapulectomy 6/15
                              Broken neck 9/28/2018
                              Osteotomy

Comment

Working...
                              X