Flat back syndrome due to harington rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello:

I'm so sorry you have Scoliosis flatback. If you do a search on this forum for "flatback" you will see many past threads on it and lots of info.

Comment

Doctor in the south

I have a doctor in Charleston, SC. His name is Dr. Poletti. He is with the southeastern spine institute. In Mount Pleasant, SC. his number is : 1-843- 774-6350. He is in with Dr. Don Johnson. He seems to think that he will be have success with doing revision surgery on me. In fact he said that was my only option. I called the SRS. I was very disappointed. They were of no help. Could not tell me anything. She said she could give me few names of spine doctors. But she did not know anything about anyone who did the revision surgery. I also called Doctor Hey in Raleigh NC . They were very nice and helpful. She recommended Doctor Poletti who I had already been to. And she told me that I was where I needed to be with him. That made feel good. I am scheduled for a MRI next month. And then i will make a decision on the surgery after hearing all of the details. What may be the deal breaker for me is if he says I will have to wear the Halo head brace. I work and I can not return to work with that on .

Comment

Thanks you for your help. I am going for an MRI this month to the doctor in Charleston who diagnosed the flat back. And to find out all the surgery details. I have lots of questions before I make a decision.

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        Hi Sheila...

First, here's some names for you:

Bart Sachs
        Medical University of South Carolina
        Professor of Orthopaedics
        169 Ashley Avenue
        P.O Box 250332
        Charleston, SC 29425
        Phone: (843) 792-1168
        Fax: (843) 792-9121

I don't know if he does a lot of revision surgeries, but he did a fellowship with David Bradford, who is considered to be a pioneer in scoliosis revision surgery.

Dheera Ananthakrishnan at Emory also did a fellowship with David Bradford. Serena Hu, who is widely considered one of the top surgeons in terms of scoliosis and scoliosis revision, thinks highly of her.

Lloyd Hey in Raleigh also has a good reputation.

in terms of what you can expect from recovery, there is a very wide range of experiences. You'll find people who were off of pain medication in two weeks, and people who were worse off than before surgery. The average length of time that people stop using narcotic medication is about 3 months. The amount of time you'll wear a brace depends on your specific case and the surgeon you choose. Some surgeons are very strict and want their patients to wear a brace for up to 6 months. Other surgeons only rarely use postop braces. After my revision surgery, I wore only a Cybertec brace (http://www.1thebest.com/cybertech-90...FStgMgodsjQA-A) for a few weeks. My surgeon tells most patients that they should wear the brace if they feel better with it on, but it's not a requirement. Most of our other surgeons use hard plastic TLSO braces that are either off the shelf or custom made.

Regards,
        Linda

Comment

Working...
        X