Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pain control' 12 days postoperative - what works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mkatz

Hello MKatz, how are you feeling now? any better? any pain relief? narcotics are useful- the most dangerous side effect= overdose or taking pills too soon ( not waiting 4 hrs or so) you could experience respiratory depression - meaning, very slow breathing that can cause death. the more common, not life threatening but personally miserable side effect= constipation! the bane of our existance! but narcotics are necessary- if you try to tough it out, the pain will stimulate your flight vs fight response- high blood pressure , rapid heart rate, and a cascade of hormonal responses to stress that may impede healing (vasoconstriction, for one). we all should be using non- medicinal pain measures too : hot baths ! resting with music, -- or-- biofeedback. distraction actually works well: if you are able to concentrate, try to distract yourself by suduko or some such past time. heat or cold may lessen the pain, depending on your preference/ your body's response. please wrte and let us know how you're managing now, a few weeks post op. hoping recovery is progressing .... God bless! Jamie in TX
    57 years old.
    thoracic curve 68 degrees
    lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
    Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
    Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
    THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Just and update:

Thanks, all who responded. There did occur a very gradual diminution in pain severity. I am pleased with the outcome of the procedure and have benefited functionally and aesthetically greatly. Now, 14 months later, I am gradually returning to the activity level that I had before the procedure was executed. It takes time!

Comment

Working...
      X