Revision in my future...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jenee,
    I am so sorry to hear about your problems and needing a revision. I think it is something we all worry about. Best wishes to you.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by jeneemohler View Post
      Ti-Ed, you are my hero with your dedication to the site!!!
      Me?
      (Cheswick style reply from “One flew over the Cuckoo’s nest”) You remember that scene? LMAO

I see your driving to Spain on a flat. Can you make it? You know your producing metal particulates in there....(stern face)

What kinds of meds do you need to take to maintain?

Cheswick
      Attached Files
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

In the same boat.

This revision surgery is very complicated. My doctor said it involves actually totally realigning the spine and straightening it and repairing the bottom vertrebra's that are shot. And then rehooking the top and bottom all back up to interlock normally. I will be out of work for awhile and in a brace for several months. I went thru hell the first go around, in a body cast for 9 months and going thru traction and everything else. And now because of that, I am being disabled.

Comment

Sheila, do you know if after your revision surgery and a recup period if you will be permanently disabled?
          Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

July 1st Revison Surgery

Hi everyone. Man, I can't believe how time flies. Between work, kids, grandkids, etc, it seems like I have less and less time to do what I need to do, or should do! I have been meaning to get on here multiple times to give an update, but chores and life in general just seem to pull me in a thousand directions. Prioritize, prioritize!

My revision surgery is scheduled at OHSU in Portland on July 1st. I have had a few appointments with Dr. Hart, and I have felt very comfortable with him and his expertise and bedside manner. I know of at least one patient who has been less than satisfied with him, but there is always different opinions when you do so many of these complicated surgeries. On the positive side, Susan mentioned that Serena Hu, one of the top surgeons in scoliosis, and someone I was originally considering, gave him high marks. Gayle also mentioned that he was voted one of the top 25 surgeons by his peers. So I feel confident.

In addition to the flatback syndrome, my CT scans showed a broken left rod, and one of the pelvic screws has backed out some on the right side. I wonder if that has anything to do with the strain of the broken rod on the other side? Dr Hart plans on an anterior/posterior surgery. He will leave the upper half of the fusion alone, and only deal with the lumbar area. That makes me happy. I (we) hope that it can be done in one long surgery so that I don't have to return for a second surgery. On an interesting note, he said that I technically don't have pelvic fixation, as the anchoring screws aren't long enough to be considered pelvic anchors. That might explain why I had no issues with pain around the anchors as some people have experienced, and why the one screw is backing out. I am a little nervous about adding longer bolts and the pain sometimes associated with it. Oh well, I will deal with that if and when it happens!

I told a friend the other day that looking forward to a revision surgery is like having a second baby. I'm not sure if it is better, now that I know what to expect- or if it is WORSE because I know what to expect! I decided... .... that it will be an easier recovery than the first one. I'm not too excited about another long recuperation, but I AM excited at the possibility of being able to walk normal again. I miss walking and hiking and being active. Maybe I will lose these extra 20 I have packed on. Menopause and hot flashes hit the same time I was recuperating from the first surgery, so I had a double whammy for weight gain. Not fair!

I will let everyone know when I am home safe and sound. Thanks everyone, for your years of support and friendship!

Jenee'
            Jenee'-52
            Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
            Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
            I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
            9 hours
            T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
            Non-fusion
            Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Jenne', I don't know if you have read my thread recently, but I had a revision with Dr. Hart about 2 months ago. I had multiple loosened screws (actually all the thoracic) as well as a broken rod. I thought that Dr. Hart provided excellent care and was very caring. My problem was an infection which was very slowly growing. So, now I have a mostly revised back and daily antibiotics. This was my second revision, my prior revision was last summer when I had a spinal cord injury after a screw pulled out into my T5-6 area.

I thought that the care that I received at OHSU was good. I am staying in the Brooklyn neighborhood across the Ross Island bridge. Long story...but I am still using a wheelchair, but will gladly get together for lunch or coffee.

Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by jeneemohler View Post
                I know of at least one patient who has been less than satisfied with him
                I know.....but she wasn’t a “standard”scoli and was in a difficult “surgical” situation...... You know that. It’s the reason why we actually shouldn’t wait too long if we have large curves.....timing is everything, and it plays a huge part. Age 50 and over with 50 plus curves becomes another scenario....the card game changes.

I always wonder about ALIF and how it worked so well for me.....it did help guarantee my lumbar fusions and I know you know, since you are aware. Please remember that these decisions are not taken lightly by our surgeons because we are extremely complicated. Don’t hold a grudge on your local surgeon.....she made her best call on procedure.

I think about you guys often......I will just have to call all of you the Oregon State Troopers.

Dr Hart will get you fixed up....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Glad that you are going to get fixed up. I have had multiple surgeries. I have found that knowing what to expect made it easier.
                  Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thanks, guys. I do have high hopes for a similar recovery. My first one was textbook, which is a good thing.
                    It is always good to hear from you, Ed. I have said all along that I don't fault my original surgeon. I know she had the best of intentions. The original surgery still stopped the progression of the curves and took away the sciatic pain. My only disappointment is that she didn't refer me to someone for another opinion, and told me to walk with my knees bent (and semi-squatting) in order to walk upright. Pretty tough on the quads and knees for a person without a fusion, let alone one with. Que sera sera!

I am glad to hear that you had a good experience with Dr. Hart, Susan. I think of you often and so wish that you were doing better. Any long term hope for improvement, as far as walking? I am ashamed that I haven't followed you more closely after your experience last summer. I knew you finally had surgery for the injury after a long wait trying to figure out what went wrong. Maybe when I go up for my followups we can have coffee and catch up. It was lovely visiting you in Sisters last summer.

I am both nervous and excited. Thank goodness it isn't as nerve wracking as the first surgery. The only bummer is the long drive home in the back of the SUV. It would actually take longer to fly home with having to arrive early, get through security, and then drive home from the airport. I have never been one for drugs, but I think I will ask to be fortified when I leave the hospital!
                    Jenee'-52
                    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                    9 hours
                    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                    Non-fusion
                    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Jenee',
                      It seems that every time I forget to check the new posts in the forums, there is something posted from my friends from 2011 that I miss. I need to forget Facebook and check the forum more often. If you remember, we were only 5 days apart with our surgeries and corresponded often. I am so sorry you have to have revision surgery, but I think your positive attitude will help you so much and put you back on track for a good outcome and a quality of life that you so deserve. I have read good comments about your surgeon. I will be looking for your posts after your surgery on July 1 and wish you a smooth recovery. I know you be a star!
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Jenee

Thinking of you, hope everything is ok......

I will send a PM

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Hi Jenee, just re read your threads since I am now facing broken rods (again). How did everything go with your surgery and hospital stay at OHSU? How is recovery going for you?

Take care,

Gayle
                          Gayle, age 50
                          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Has anyone heard from Jenee? I wonder how she is doing.
                            Gayle, age 50
                            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Yeah....She put off her revision for a little.......I think she told me October.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Jenee's surgery

I am friends with Jenee on FB and she had her revision surgery this past Friday, November6. I check her page daily as her husband is posting updates. So far so good.
                                50 years old!!!!!
                                Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                                Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                                Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                                Surgery 07/11/2011
                                Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Working...
                                X