Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on types of Adult Scoliosis Surgery

http://www.hss.edu/professional-cond...p#.U7HS4qjY9N0

This is a very detailed article on Adult Scoliosis Surgery. There is also an interesting section at the end about different types of pain.
    1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
    2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
    3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
    4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
    I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Interesting! Dr. Boachie is operating on people in their 40's with mild to moderate scoliosis in the thoracic spine to treat low back pain. It's something to think about. He commented on the degeneration process and this being the time to operate,...before the degeneration gets worse.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

date on this, at the end, is 2009...
      things change...
      back when i went to Boachie for a consult, he was still collapsing
      a lung to get to the spine...
      that was around.....i think 2004....

just trying to point out that the good doctor has changed his
      procedures...and maybe his outlook...on scoliosis over the years...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Dr. Boachie retiring

Dr. Boachie is retiring. His office is sending me my records on a disk.
        I add I am 12 years post op and still pain free-at age 72.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Very interesting presentation. Thanks or posting it. Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

All good deformity surgeons have changed what they do. Though there is still much to learn, they know considerably more now than they did 10 years ago.

I'm guessing people are getting tired of me posting this, but curve degrees are of very little importance in adult deformity. Someone can have a very small curve, but need a long fusion because they have things like degenerative discs, stenosis, etc.

Be careful about thinking that a surgeon does the same thing every time, or that because one surgeon does something, that other surgeons do the same. There's a lot that we don't know about each case shown.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              All good deformity surgeons have changed what they do. Though there is still much to learn, they know considerably more now than they did 10 years ago. I'm guessing people are getting tired of me posting this, but curve degrees are of very little importance in adult deformity. Someone can have a very small curve, but need a long fusion because they have things like degenerative discs, stenosis, etc. Be careful about thinking that a surgeon does the same thing every time, or that because one surgeon does something, that other surgeons do the same. There's a lot that we don't know about each case shown. --Linda
              I agree 100%! Every single case is different and trying to compare one to another us tough.
              Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Linda...
                i can't tell you how many doctors told me over the years...
                (and one was supposed to be a TOP guy at Sloan Kettering
                in Manhattan)...about what conditions
                "shouldn't hurt that much..."
                or "don't hurt that much"
                or "aren't supposed to hurt that much..."

that goes for scoliosis, Lyme, herniated discs after a certain
                period of time, and a benign tumor....
                because some medical text book somewhere said so...
                obviously, doctors are NOT being trained to listen to and
                BELIEVE what their patients tell them...
                shame on all of them...
                and i have met too many of them...of all ages, both genders
                (but mostly male) and in many hospitals.

jess...and Sparky
                Last edited by jrnyc; 07-04-2014, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  All good deformity surgeons have changed what they do. Though there is still much to learn, they know considerably more now than they did 10 years ago.
                  This puts tears of joy on my face....and its good to have you doing what you do for us Linda. and of course the whole gang at UCSF.

Thank you

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks, as always, Ed.
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                    X