Thread: Article on types of Adult Scoliosis Surgery

Article on types of Adult Scoliosis Surgery

http://www.hss.edu/professional-cond...p#.U7HS4qjY9N0

This is a very detailed article on Adult Scoliosis Surgery. There is also an interesting section at the end about different types of pain.

Interesting! Dr. Boachie is operating on people in their 40's with mild to moderate scoliosis in the thoracic spine to treat low back pain. It's something to think about. He commented on the degeneration process and this being the time to operate,...before the degeneration gets worse.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

date on this, at the end, is 2009...
    things change...
    back when i went to Boachie for a consult, he was still collapsing
    a lung to get to the spine...
    that was around.....i think 2004....

just trying to point out that the good doctor has changed his
    procedures...and maybe his outlook...on scoliosis over the years...

jess...and Sparky

Unhappy Dr. Boachie retiring

Dr. Boachie is retiring. His office is sending me my records on a disk.
    I add I am 12 years post op and still pain free-at age 72.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Very interesting presentation. Thanks or posting it. Susan
    2011: Degenerative Adult Onset Scoliosis @65
    25* T levoscoliosis/ 36* L dexroscoliosis w/ 11.2 cm coronal & 3.5 cm sagittal balance T kyphosis 90*
    Severe disc degen thoracic & lumbar stenosis
    Surgery: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    3/2013, Dr. Hu @ UCSF
    Postop hernia @ ALIF incision repaired 2014
    8/2014: Rev surgery OHSU Dr. Hiratzka hardware removal T3-T5; reinstrument & revision fusion T3-T6
    Proximal Junctional Failure w/ SCI
    Cauda Equina Syndrome

All good deformity surgeons have changed what they do. Though there is still much to learn, they know considerably more now than they did 10 years ago.

I'm guessing people are getting tired of me posting this, but curve degrees are of very little importance in adult deformity. Someone can have a very small curve, but need a long fusion because they have things like degenerative discs, stenosis, etc.

Be careful about thinking that a surgeon does the same thing every time, or that because one surgeon does something, that other surgeons do the same. There's a lot that we don't know about each case shown.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    All good deformity surgeons have changed what they do. Though there is still much to learn, they know considerably more now than they did 10 years ago. I'm guessing people are getting tired of me posting this, but curve degrees are of very little importance in adult deformity. Someone can have a very small curve, but need a long fusion because they have things like degenerative discs, stenosis, etc. Be careful about thinking that a surgeon does the same thing every time, or that because one surgeon does something, that other surgeons do the same. There's a lot that we don't know about each case shown. --Linda
    I agree 100%! Every single case is different and trying to compare one to another us tough.
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelley (St. Louis, Mo)

Linda...
    i can't tell you how many doctors told me over the years...
    (and one was supposed to be a TOP guy at Sloan Kettering
    in Manhattan)...about what conditions
    "shouldn't hurt that much..."
    or "don't hurt that much"
    or "aren't supposed to hurt that much..."

that goes for scoliosis, Lyme, herniated discs after a certain
    period of time, and a benign tumor....
    because some medical text book somewhere said so...
    obviously, doctors are NOT being trained to listen to and
    BELIEVE what their patients tell them...
    shame on all of them...
    and i have met too many of them...of all ages, both genders
    (but mostly male) and in many hospitals.

jess...and Sparky
    Last edited by jrnyc; 07-04-2014 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    All good deformity surgeons have changed what they do. Though there is still much to learn, they know considerably more now than they did 10 years ago.
    This puts tears of joy on my face....and its good to have you doing what you do for us Linda. and of course the whole gang at UCSF.

Thank you

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 55, the new 45...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    A/P T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Thanks, as always, Ed.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.