Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello! I'm betternow and new to the forum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! I'm betternow and new to the forum!

Greetings, you brave and amazing people! I have kept up with the forum by reading posts over the last year and 3 months. I actually tried to join after my surgery, which was March 2013, but had technical difficulties and gave up. Well, since I teach school and have time off right now between summer classes and other commitments, I attemped to joing again. Thankfully, this time all tech glitches were worked out so here I am!

My surgery was March 2013 (T3 to L4) and I must say...I am better now! I was diagnosed when I was 12 years old and my progression was relatively slow. Not to say I didn't have a great deal of pain over the years, my pain level and the degree of my "curves" greatly increased once I went through menopause. My bone density was pretty pitiful, so I spent two years taking Forteo to strengthen my bones. Once my bone density tests showed a great deal of improvement, I was ready for surgery! During the two years I was taking the Forteo I did a great deal of research to find a surgeon I felt confident in and found out about Dr. Bridwell in St. Louis. I was even fortunate enough to meet with two of his former patients here in the Atlanta area. Well, to make a long story short, I feel like eveything went VERY well. I'm now 14 months postop and feel pretty darn good. No more pain...except in the neck once in while and a little achy at times. I can usually attribute that pain to some movement I may have done wrong OR because I'm 59 years old for crying out loud and my body just aches sometimes!

That's enough about me. What I'd really like to do is help others get ready for their surgery. You know, give them some tips for things they may need to do around the house and what to expect before and after their surgery. I've read on the forum some fantastic tips, which I KNOW have helped others facing surgery. Well, if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help! I'd like to share helpful tips such as having a hair tie (rubberband thing) around your wrist to hold the morphine pump onto your wrist after surgery. (There's nothing worse than needing to push that little button and not being able to find it!) Also, once home after surgery it was helpful to have large clamps (from Home Depot) clamped on the top of my bottom cabinet doors so I could open them without having to bend over. Another tip...once I was home and finally began to drive again, I purchased a panoramic rear view mirrow for my car so I my field of vision was increased when looking at what was behind me as I drove or backed up.

Honestly, tips like these may have already been shared before by someone else, but I'd sure like to help out by sharing what I went through and what worked for me! In my opinion, we are brave and what we've been through is pretty amazing! (When all goes well of course...I'm not naive!)

Welcome to the forum....

Glad to see it all worked out well. Did you fly or drive to St Louis?

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Betternow,
      You will be an asset to the forum. I am glad you are doing well.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

We had surgery the same month and year, March 2013! Welcome! Susan
        Last edited by susancook; 06-25-2014, 08:58 PM.
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          Welcome to the forum....

Glad to see it all worked out well. Did you fly or drive to St Louis?

Ed
          Hello Ed,

I fly to STL for all of my doc visits, but for my surgery we drove. Since I was in STL for about 18 days or so for surgery, it was convenient for my family to have a vehicle while they were there. Also, driving back to ATL after surgery was much more comfortable. I could wiggle around a bit in the car seat and we made frequent stops so I could get out and walk around (about every hour or so). I know people fly home after their surgery, but honestly the thought of being stuck on a plane outweighed the long drive home!

betternow

Comment

Welcome to the family! :-)
            Tamena
            Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Hi Betternow!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your tips are great & I'm glad you're doing well!

I'll be having surgery in St. Louis this fall with Dr. Buchowski. Any tips specific to that area would be greatly appreciated. My dr is insisting on 3 - 4 weeks in STL. We're researching renting an apartment. Where did you stay? Did you go to rehab right after being released from the hospital?

Enjoy your summer! I'm a retired teacher, so I know summers are a great time to recharge.
              Peg
              61 yrs old
              75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
              T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
              Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Welcome to the forum
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Peggy,
                  Parkway Hotel is connected to Barnes Hospital and very convenient. Fortunately, I live close to St. Louis and my husband or I didn't have to stay there, but everyone that I know who has stayed there has been pleased with it.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                  X