Long fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long fusion

I havent been on here since May 2004....I posted my recent post on a "im new here" in under 18s (I was 17 then!)
    I went to see my surgeon today.....and he told me a lot (read that thread if you want) but he wil be fusing T1-L4 which is long......!!!! has anyone had this done....and what is your flexibility like???

My surgery isnt until Janurary 2006 cos of dumb NHS waiting lists!!!!
    Last edited by Abbi17; 02-23-2005, 05:41 PM.
    ~*Abbi*~

Hi Abbi,

I am fused from T-2 to the sacrum. You will notice a difference in your flexibility. You can't twist and bend like before. You will find new ways to do things.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Abbi!
      Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
      Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
      Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
      Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
      February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
      September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Hi Abbi

I actually had my 3rd Surgery December 1, 2004 and my spinal revision/fusion is from T2 to L4. I actually had an anterior thoracotomy and a posterior revision. The doctor has me on so many restrictions regarding bending, twisting, pushin, and pulling (which are not allowed yet). Your flexibility depends on the levels of fusion. I had to learn all new body mechanics when it came to "bending" and my body, I can not bend from my waist, however I am able to bend using my knees and keeping my back straight to get the desired item(s).

If your working, be expected to be out of work on disability for a couple of months. I'm currently on disability and can't return to work as of yet and its been a little of 2 months and my expected return to work is in April.

Like Theresa stated in her post you will find new adaptations for your body to be able to do things. I hope this helped

-Jessy

Comment

Hi Jessy,

I am going to be fused same like you from T2 to L4. How are you feeling after 2 months and what kind of work can you do with out help.

Mine is first time surgery and its Posterior with Thorcaplasty from back.

Thanks,
          Pal
          Upper Curve: 46 Degrees (pre-op 75 Degrees)
          Lower Curve: 23 Degrees (pre-op 64 Degrees)
          Posterior Spinal Fusion on Mar. 2nd 05
          Dr. Boachie

Comment

I'm fused from T3 through L5 and bending over is NOT a problem. Sure, I bend at the hips now but truthfully, I can't tell the difference from before. Now twisting around is a different story. I can to an extent but usually just turn my whole body. I can look over my shoulder about half of what I could before.

Comment

Hi Pal

Hi Jessy,

I am going to be fused same like you from T2 to L4. How are you feeling after 2 months and what kind of work can you do with out help.

Mine is first time surgery and its Posterior with Thorcaplasty from back.

Thanks,
              Pal
              Thanks for your response I see that Dr. Boachie is going to perform your surgery soon. First of all I wish you best of luck with your surgery and also I know that you are in good hands with him. I heard a lot of good things about Dr. Boachie and Hospital for Special Surgeries is an excellent hospital. I had my surgery at Hospital for Joint Diseases and the surgery was performed by Dr. Frank Schwab which is an excellent doctor as well.

Well honestly Pal regarding work after surgery, I am very limited and my body is so fatigued with all the pills in my system and the physical changes inside my body that I spend most of my day either sleeping or watching t.v. and being bored out of my mind.

Without help I am able to walk (short distances) and brush my teeth only within the first month. With someone's help, I was able to take baths (I was not able to take showers because the water pressure from the shower head felt like punches to my body). I was not able to stand for long periods of time, if I did I became very light headed, dizzy and sometimes would pass out. I could not sit up for long periods of time, nor could I lay down for long periods of time, my back became too uncomfortable. I also suffered from back and side spasm which weren't fun at the site of the incisions. Someone had to cook for me, I couldn't grab a pot because it felt like a ton of bricks and I would feel the strain of my back muscles. I also needed assistance walking up and down the stairs. I couldn't even lift my arms comfortably to comb/brush my hair or even get dressed and tie my shoes. And I was not able to drive my car.

With month two I am able to independently take walks, cook food (if the pots and pans are set out for me), do light exercises with my physical therapist, brush my hair, sit upright comfortably without trying to lay down every 5-10 minutes because my body was tired of that position. I can dress myself without any problems. I am able to drive my car, but I don't feel secure in it because I have difficulty turning to view my blind spot, so it sits in front of my house and I get driven around everywhere.

Please feel free to email me at JLozada1013@msn.com if you have any further questions. I also have pictures of my surgeries if you want to see what to expect to prepare yourself.

Thanks,
              -Jessy
              Last edited by JLozada1013; 02-24-2005, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I'm fused from T3 through L5 and bending over is NOT a problem. Sure, I bend at the hips now but truthfully, I can't tell the difference from before. Now twisting around is a different story. I can to an extent but usually just turn my whole body. I can look over my shoulder about half of what I could before.
                Hi Dalmatica,

Bending will not be a problem for me in a couple of months. The doctor just placed those restrictions on me because the bone fragments needs to fuse to the instrumentation and have a solid fusion. He said I will have flexibility but not as of yet as my body needs to heal. Trust me I DO NOT want to go through another surgery. If he tells me not to bend for a couple of months because I need to have a solid fusion then I won't bend. Anything to avoid having all those painful memories again. I think 3 times is the charm

Thanks,
                -Jessy

Comment

post-surgery

hi Jessy,

Good to hear your experiences post-surgery - I'm also coming up to 3 months post surgery, and your info reminded me that progress is real though slow.

I'd love to hear more of how you go!

Lavinia

Comment

Thanks so much Jessy, for such a detailed message.

Trying to relax myself before my surgery but then not getting sleep in nights, thinking about it all time.

Pal
                    Upper Curve: 46 Degrees (pre-op 75 Degrees)
                    Lower Curve: 23 Degrees (pre-op 64 Degrees)
                    Posterior Spinal Fusion on Mar. 2nd 05
                    Dr. Boachie

Comment

Re: Hi Pal

Originally posted by JLozada1013
                      Thanks for your response I see that Dr. Boachie is going to perform your surgery soon. First of all I wish you best of luck with your surgery and also I know that you are in good hands with him. I heard a lot of good things about Dr. Boachie and Hospital for Special Surgeries is an excellent hospital. I had my surgery at Hospital for Joint Diseases and the surgery was performed by Dr. Frank Schwab which is an excellent doctor as well.

Well honestly Pal regarding work after surgery, I am very limited and my body is so fatigued with all the pills in my system and the physical changes inside my body that I spend most of my day either sleeping or watching t.v. and being bored out of my mind.

Without help I am able to walk (short distances) and brush my teeth only within the first month. With someone's help, I was able to take baths (I was not able to take showers because the water pressure from the shower head felt like punches to my body). I was not able to stand for long periods of time, if I did I became very light headed, dizzy and sometimes would pass out. I could not sit up for long periods of time, nor could I lay down for long periods of time, my back became too uncomfortable. I also suffered from back and side spasm which weren't fun at the site of the incisions. Someone had to cook for me, I couldn't grab a pot because it felt like a ton of bricks and I would feel the strain of my back muscles. I also needed assistance walking up and down the stairs. I couldn't even lift my arms comfortably to comb/brush my hair or even get dressed and tie my shoes. And I was not able to drive my car.

With month two I am able to independently take walks, cook food (if the pots and pans are set out for me), do light exercises with my physical therapist, brush my hair, sit upright comfortably without trying to lay down every 5-10 minutes because my body was tired of that position. I can dress myself without any problems. I am able to drive my car, but I don't feel secure in it because I have difficulty turning to view my blind spot, so it sits in front of my house and I get driven around everywhere.

Please feel free to email me at JLozada1013@msn.com if you have any further questions. I also have pictures of my surgeries if you want to see what to expect to prepare yourself.

Thanks,

-Jessy
                      No , I didn't bend like that right away either. It took time and I was very careful.

Comment

[Quote]Thanks so much Jessy, for such a detailed message.

Trying to relax myself before my surgery but then not getting sleep in nights, thinking about it all time.

Pal[Quote]

Pal I know what your going through, I had sleepness nights before surgery and my anxiety level became worse as the days approached. I refused to take any medication to solve those problems, however, I had and still have the support of my husband and family members. If I felt I couldn't handle it and would have a "semi-breakdown" episode, I always called my mom and her comfortness would always calm me down. My husband is there for me as well and I think seeing what I went through with this surgery he is more understanding about my back. Even though I'm 27 years old, and have gone through 3 surgeries for scoliosis our emotions will most likely take the best of us, but we have people who will support us and guide us.

-Jessy
                        Last edited by JLozada1013; 02-25-2005, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X