One year check-up with Lenke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One year check-up with Lenke!

Hi all, I just want to give you an up date on my surgery one year ago. If you remember Dr. Lenke had to go in at six months and completley redo the first surgery he did on me. I had fell many times because of medication and sleep walking, which caused me to break a rod . I took care of the medication problem, and after he took everything back out and replaced all rods and screws , cages and packed me with kadabra bone and a rib of my own , I started recovery over. And it was tough. I didn't realize that gall bladder problems are a side effect of this surgery. Well, two months after Dr. Lenke did the revision on my spine, I had my gall bladder removed. My recovery has been a bumpy road, but it is finially starting to feel like I am
    getting my money's worth out of this huge surgery. I was bent over sooo bad before this surgery that I couldn't see anything but the floor. The pain was excruciating. I am happy to say that I am standing straight and have pain yet, but it's tolerable. The pain is mostly in the morning upon rising. But I also have fibromyalgia with arthritis in a few joints. Very much genetic, as my father and two grandparents had arthritis.
    I can honestly say at this point I am happy that I had this done ,and all of the 13 hr. drive was worth it!!!
    Susan, I am with you about being on the two year recovery plan, as I know that I need a lot more healing time and also I need more time to get stronger. I think being older and this being my fifth back surgery has a lot to do with recovering.
    So here's to "one year" behind me. And this forum has been so very helpful! I read it and learned so much. So many of us have the same symtoms and it's good to know what's normal and what isn't. And believe me , so much of it is part of the healing process. God Bless you all~~~ Linda
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Linda,
    I'm glad to hear that things are finally going well for you. Hopefully, in a year you can say you are pain free (except the tragedies of aging that befall us all).

((((HUGS))))
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi, Linda,
      Congratulations on one year! I think the two year recovery program makes sense for all of us. I accepted that it was possibly as good as it was going to get at one year, but my aches lessened and my mobility increased after a year. I even believe that I felt better over all after my two year anniversary. You definitely had a tougher time than most since you saw Dr. Lenke for revision surgery and then again after your fall and broken rods. I'm glad you are standing straight and tall! You are one of the six people from the forum that I have met in person in St. Louis, so you have a special place in my heart. Take care.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
        Linda,
        I'm glad to hear that things are finally going well for you. Hopefully, in a year you can say you are pain free (except the tragedies of aging that befall us all).

((((HUGS))))
        . Hi Rohrer, thanks for the reply. I havn't been on here much. Pike I said, it's been a bumpy road, and I really didn't want to discourage anyone about to go through this huge surgery by saying something to scare them or complain on a bad day or something. So I waited till the year was up to analyze my situation, and felt it was safe to give a thumbs up . I do have some of the the same feelings, like I have a board nailed to my butt. Cold weather also makes my back feel like I have on a tight, very tight corset. Something about that barometric pressure!!! It's the weirdest feeling. Anyway, hope you are doing well. And staying strong! My Best wishes to you! Linda
        Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
        May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Linda

Congratulations on your first year.

Nice to hear especially after reading and following your story from the beginning.....I always knew that you needed revision surgery, revision surgery by someone that knew what they were doing, and that it really was your only choice. You had us a little worried there for awhile.

Things will get better in the next year....

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Linda, what great news to hear, that you're doing so well at last. I think you're very sensible to expect a slightly longer recovery given all the surgeries you've been through - that's got to knock you around! After being such a worry, you're sounding like a success, and I'm so happy for you.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Tough Boomers!

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
              Hi, Linda,
              Congratulations on one year! I think the two year recovery program makes sense for all of us. I accepted that it was possibly as good as it was going to get at one year, but my aches lessened and my mobility increased after a year. I even believe that I felt better over all after my two year anniversary. You definitely had a tougher time than most since you saw Dr. Lenke for revision surgery and then again after your fall and broken rods. I'm glad you are standing straight and tall! You are one of the six people from the forum that I have met in person in St. Louis, so you have a special place in my heart. Take care.
              Hi Karen, I can say the same for you when it comes to a special place in my heart. We babyboomers are a tough group! (Smile) I hope you are doing well and life is good for you and your hubby. I suppose you have been golfing. My husband wants to try going South for a couple months in the Winter. I am really a homebody, but this past winter was terribly cold and hard on the ole body parts. So I may have to give in.
              I am so glad you said that about the two years. As I still have my aches and pain. But I can handle it at least! So as I go forward toward my second year, I look forward to feeling even better. These are huge surgeries. I told Dr. Lenke he was a hero in my home town of Winner So. Dak. He said "well, I can use all the help I can get!" I don't think he has any problems getting patients. (Smiles)He is such a humble man. And kind too. He worked hard to put me back together, and I know he was worried~~~ but I got my medication straightened out and it made all the difference. Yeay!! God Bless you and your family . Stay in touch. Warmly, Linda
              May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Amazing!

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                Linda

Congratulations on your first year.

Nice to hear especially after reading and following your story from the beginning.....I always knew that you needed revision surgery, revision surgery by someone that knew what they were doing, and that it really was your only choice. You had us a little worried there for awhile.

Things will get better in the next year....

Ed
                Thanks Ed for your kind words! I have always been in awe of you and all that you can do. It is an inspiration to everyone that's going to go through this and already has gone through it! I still need to strengthen my body. And now that the year is up, Dr. Lenke gave me a prescription for PT. He likes to wait for a year on some of his patients. He worries about that physical therapist may get too rough in that first year. So I start this next week. I need a lot of core excersise. Hope life is treating you well and you are getting to do all the things you love to do! Best Wishes to you ,Linda
                May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                  Hi Linda, what great news to hear, that you're doing so well at last. I think you're very sensible to expect a slightly longer recovery given all the surgeries you've been through - that's got to knock you around! After being such a worry, you're sounding like a success, and I'm so happy for you.
                  Jennifer, thanks for the kind words. Yes, I had everyone worried for a while. These are such huge surgeries, that no one, but other people that have gone through them, can understand the trauma of it on the body. So it's nice to come here to and know that everyone understands. I hope life is treating you well. And your back is treating you really well!! Warm thoughts of you, Linda
                  May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Linda,
                    Just a "thing" about barometric pressure and pain...

My DIL is fused and I am not. We both woke up in horrific pain on Thursday. I'm not convinced that the fusions have everything to do with that kind of pain. Although, I will admit that having cold rods in the winter is something that I haven't experienced. I know you guys have your own set of pains that I can't fathom.

Going south may very well be the solution for you. You get to be a "snowbird"!!! I would NEVER suggest staying there permanently.

I lived in the southwestern desert for almost 20 years. When the thermometer hit 131o, I didn't care how "dry" the heat was! An oven is an oven, period. We didn't have any air conditioning for YEARS. I hate that kind of heat. There's no escaping it unless you get in the water or air conditioning if you can afford it. But you'd better be in the shade while in the water because you'll burn less. Yep, you burn in the shade, too, when you're in the water. It' the reflections. But the winters are beautiful. It's like Autumn in the colder states. Oh, Springtime can be really nice there, too. That's before it gets too hot. The desert blooms so beautifully for about two weeks in the Spring if you can catch it. The aroma's are lovely (especially the mesquite, unfortunately I'm allergic to it) and the desert floor gets coated with a fine green grass and little plant blossoms along with the cactus blossoms which can be quite a beautiful sight. But, it often hits triple digits by the end of May or sooner. That's when it's time to LEAVE! Then you'll get home just in time to experience Springtime in the north, too! It's a win win. :-)
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

Glad things are going well for you

Melissa
                      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Linda, you did it! Congratulations! Stand tall with a big smile. You have earned it. When you first came on the forum with your story, my heart went out to you. You sounded miserable, and I am so happy that you are finally flying straight. This is the year to really build yourself back up nutritionally and physically. Your whole life is now ahead of you.

Take care. Sending you good vibes,
                        Susan
                        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Yeah!!!

Linda--
                          You are a marvelous success story and after having gone through so much! I love Dr. Lenke's comment. It must feel so fantastic to stand up straight. Continued healing and good luck. Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                            Linda, you did it! Congratulations! Stand tall with a big smile. You have earned it. When you first came on the forum with your story, my heart went out to you. You sounded miserable, and I am so happy that you are finally flying straight. This is the year to really build yourself back up nutritionally and physically. Your whole life is now ahead of you.

Take care. Sending you good vibes,
                            Susan
                            Susan, I want to thank-you for the encouraging words all along these past couple years. I am doing well. But I have some issues I'm hoping physical therapy can help. I sometimes(a lot latley) feel like I'm dragging around something heavy. It's hard to explain. I have the feeling I am pulling aroun an extra sixty lbs. I do have that "board nailed to my butt"feeling. Maybe that's just getting worse. Just wondering if you ever had any of these feelings? So although I am a yr. out, and thankful for all that I can do, I still have a lot of thinks to work on. And my neck is an ongoing problem, as Dr. Lenke says I have arthritis in my neck. It does cause shoulder pain. I am grateful and love being able to see the world in an upward position. Hope you are doing good and continue to get better! Warmly, Linda
                            May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

neck pain

Linda--
                              My biggest "pain" when I went in for 5 year check was also my neck. Dr. Lenke gave me an RX for PT for it. I see you are starting some too. I have lots of arthritis in my neck also as he pointed out & my head tipped over to the left. Tomorrow I have my last PT for it and it really has helped. I think I went about 12 times. Sure hope it can help you too. Check out your therapist. I had this one recommended and she was always booked solid. She was very good. Good luck. Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                              X