cannabis for spinal bone pain from surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannabis for spinal bone pain from surgery

My Harrington Rod surgery has left me with a broken spine below my T2 - L3 fusion. Trying to manage the pain in a more healthy way than opiates, so I am looking into all options. I don't feel like reinventing the wheel here, so...has anyone had any success with medical cannabis in managing their spinal bone pain from surgery? I have nerve pain, too, but the worst pain is the constant bone-grinding pain, both lumbar and thoracic. I want to be informed before I go to the cannabis doctor, so any info on what type you took and doses would be helpful.

Thank you,
    1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
    2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
    3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
    4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
    I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

caused me more pain when a doc suggested it to me...
    made me more AWARE of my spinal pain...
    herniated disc, degenerative disc disease, scoli, listhesis, etc...
    could not use it and gave up after a few trials...pain felt
    intolerable.

jess

Comment

Maybe ~~~

Hi, I am not against medical cannabis at all. I as you can tell by my signature , I am fused fron T4 to sacrum. And I had five surgeries to get where I am today. I had flat back syndrome. VERY PAINFUL! I was using methadone for pain and oxycodone 5mg. for break through pain. And most the time it didn't cut it at all. So I would have been open to anything. But it's not legal in So. Dak. for medicinal or recreational purposes. But I think it works on certain kinds of pain better than others. And certain conditions can be almost cured . I don't know where you live, but I wouldn't hesitate trying anything if it's legal and you are
      especially running out of options.this subject may be more informative and helpful on another support
      group for pain.
      I am at one year out from my fifth spinal surgery. I am standing straight and if it weren't for the pain in
      my
      lower back and my shoulders, I would be good to go. But that's not the way it works with me. So I'm still on opiates and I get along just fine. I love that I am walk standing up straight. I also have other issues such as fibromyalgiaia, arthritis, osteoporosis and so the pain meds. aren't just for the back.
      Good Luck in whatever you decide to do.. Welcome! Linda
      Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
      Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
      This started adult onset scoliosis
      July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
      Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
      Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
      May 30th 2013 revision
      May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
      May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Jess, please share with us what you tried - high THC, low THC, tincture, cream, pills, vaporizer? I would be grateful. And to the other poster, I am so very sorry for all the pain you're in. And how awful to have so many surgeries! There is a general hysteria in the press these days about opiates, but I've been using them minimally for 30 years and they are, for many of us who have had Scoliosis surgery, a life-saver. I live in California and so thankfully, I am legally allowed to try cannabis. I am continuing my research and will report back as to what I end up trying and whether it does anything for the bone pain.
        1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
        4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
        I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Comment

Where are you located in CA?
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Tableone, remind me. Why can't you have the fractured area in your spine surgically repaired?
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

hi tableone
              i sent you a private message...

i hope to be in southern CA next winter....i will be looking for
              a few good doctors...but i won't need a prescription for
              any marijuana (smiley)

hope you find something that helps.

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Hi, Tableone.
                My take on the medicinal use of cannabis is that the plant produces drugs that have potential benefits and potential risks. I don't see the legalized use of the plant chemicals as any different than using poppies for opium based pain killers. My reserve comes in when it is prescribed in cigarette form. Our lungs are precious and those of us with scoliosis often have reduced lung capacity as it is.

With that said, I don't know what kind of pain THC works on. There is also another main drug component in cannabis, cannabidiol or CBD, that is supposedly non-psychotropic. It's supposed effects, from a quick Google search, are anti-inflammatory and also help with movement disorders such as dystonia, muscle spasm, Parkinson's, and Epilepsy.

If you are looking into Cannabis therapy, the best thing that you can do is go to a doctor and ask if it could potentially help with pain. The THC part, again from the quick Google search, is the part that affects memory and damages that part of the brain. The CBD part is said to have opposite effect and actually help with brain function.

So, with that said, I'm NOT an expert on this subject by any means. I've had it suggested to me by concerned loved ones. There is a component of cannabis that accelerates heart rate and causes anxiety. So if you have a heart condition of suffer from anxiety, I would let your doctor know about this before using a cannabis derived drug.

That's all I have to contribute on the subject. I hope you find it helpful. You can do your own research on the topic as well. Asking around, like you are doing, is also a good idea. Like Jess said, it made her condition worse. But not all people react the same way to every drug. It can also depend on your source of pain. Sometimes, well most of the time, it's trial and error for the chronic pain patient (I am one of those people with chronic pain as well). Try one or the other of the medicines, if your doctor will prescribe them, and see if it helps you. Your experience may well help someone else.

Is there nothing that can be done for your fractured vertebrae? I would think that something like that would warrant a revision surgery. I really hope that you get relief somehow.

Kindly,
                Rohrer01
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

CBD edible Cannabis update

Hi Everyone:

Here's an update on the pure CBD edible that I tried earlier today. First, I saw a doc who understood that I wanted a concentrated CBD only form, with no THC, so I would not experience any high. The CBD is the one most pain patients go for.

Then, I purchased a "Gummy Care," candy to suck on or eat. It tasted like a dried Apricot, very fruity. It was CBD ONLY, which acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant. As instructed, I cut it in thirds and ate 1/3. I felt no relief from the bone pain in my L4 and L5, which is what I was taking it for. Plus, I felt a little of that hangover/sick/wrong feeling I sometimes get when I take heavy opiates like Hydromorphone. Anyway, I waited. Still no pain relief. So, as instructed, I took another 1/3 and sucked on it to get it into my tissues faster.

Three hours later I had no pain relief, and plus I felt shivery, brain fog, hangover, slightly nauseated, and heart racing. Took crumb of xanax to slow heart down. Why was this happening to me? Is it too much to ask for a little relief from this daily bone-grinding pain? All the medical studies said that CBD had no side effects, but I finally found one site that stated that a few people will experience negative side effects from CBD. Well, I was in a fine fettle and mad! Why such bad luck for me? I had spent the past hours in bed sick from the stuff but I finally got up to fume around my house, and when I did, I tried moving my back. GUESS WHAT? I had INCREASED flexibility in my spine! I was able to bend it in the non-fused area and it didn't hurt as much as usual. And I could move it more!

For me, who has always HATED having my fused spine this is HUGE! The only time I ever felt anything like this was after my hardware removal surgery when I was having physical therapy/deep tissue manipulation. (have tried that since, but it no longer works to due increased scar tissue) So, folks, I will be seriously experimenting with this stuff to get my dosage right and you can bet I will be adding this to my opiates. And, there is a new study that says adding CBD to opiates makes them more effective, thus you can take less.

Yes, as the guy in the dispensary promised, this made my body more relaxed - to the point where my spine is looser! It has not decreased my pain, but boy, even a little relief from the stiffness/board feeling of having your spine fused is great.

I will post again with more updates. Oh, thanks to the usual super-nice crowd that responds to my posts, but I'd also like to hear from others who have tried this and what they've taken exactly.

Thanks!
                  Last edited by Tableone; 06-03-2014, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Scoliosis surgery patient who used Cannabis

Here is an interesting and honest account of a lady who had multiple scoliosis surgeries and now uses Cannabis with great success for pain relief.

http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/articles/laura_carden.htm

Comment

Hy, I'm new here. Im 21 year old male with 37° lumbar and 40° thoracic curve.
                      I smoke cannabis sometimes and I too get this deep relaxation feeling in my muscles.
                      But, I get this feeling like my curves worsen after smoking, like my muscles relax and are not able to hold my spine upright. Feels like gravity really takes over. I have never had any pain in my back so I cant speak of it. I wonder if that feeling is real and does that muscle relaxation of really makes my scoliosis worse. It would be great if someone else could comment on this.

Comment

Boog:

Thanks for writing in!

Are you smoking only CBD or CBD mixed with THC? It would be great if you would find this out and let us know.

You are obviously experiencing the muscle relaxant component of CBD. I realize you have not had Scoliosis spinal fusion surgery like many of us (lucky you!) but I doubt that having your muscles relaxed could make your Scoliosis curve worsen. But then again, I don't know. Maybe someone else knows?

Comment

It is mixed CBD and THC, college parties, you know
                          Yeah and I hope that my scoli will remain stable. I found cannabis amazing for sleeping difficulties, after I smoke I sleep liike a baby that night

Comment

Originally posted by boogaloo View Post
                            It is mixed CBD and THC, college parties, you know
                            Yeah and I hope that my scoli will remain stable. I found cannabis amazing for sleeping difficulties, after I smoke I sleep liike a baby that night
                            So your use is recreational and not for scoliosis pain?
                            I would suggest taking your cannabis in another form to spare your lungs. Smoking it is harsher on the lungs than cigarette smoking. People with scoliosis can have reduced lung capacity just from having scoliosis. They do sell vaporizers so you get less smoke. But it's your body.

I'm interested in what you said about feeling the relaxed effect causing you to feel like your scoliosis gets worse when you smoke. I am on a couple of heavy muscle relaxants due to extremely tight muscles surrounding my scoliosis in my neck. I have cervical dystonia which is basically rock hard muscles in my cervical area. It makes me wonder if that was my body's way of trying to "hold" the curve in place. Whether it is or not, it is an extremely painful condition to have.

I certainly hope that the relaxing effect of the cannibis doesn't cause your scoliosis to worsen. My thought is that it won't. Many of us have painful muscle spasms related to our scoliosis. I hope yours never hurts you or progresses. If it does progress, don't blame yourself. There are many people that feel that they have to blame something or someone. The fact is, it's simply out of our control. BUT, keeping physically fit does seem to help stay off progression.

I wish you the best!
                            Be happy!
                            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

Hy Rohrer,
                              yes I read the posts on the forum for one year now so I know that you have a lot of pain, I m sorry for you. Life isnt fair sometimes but at least we will not die from our condition. There are people that go throuh much worse things, I always remind myself of that when I am feeling bad about my back.
                              I know the dangers of cannabis, I use it max once a week so I think my lungs dont suffer.
                              Cigarette smokers smoke at least 20 cigarettes a day, that is real harm to our lungs.
                              I am phisically active, I do improvizated torso rotations, I learned couple scroth excercises from schroth therapist, rotational breathing is great for releaving tight feeling in thoracic concave side. Im trying to find excercises which increase lung capacity. I live by the sea so I try to swim and dive as much as I can during summer.
                              Wish you all the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X