No announcement yet.

Schroth discussed in the New York Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are we all so accepting that things won't work for older patients? Why are we not demanding a voice and a treatment path for pain at the very least that does not involve having to convince medics along the supply chain all the time that we have pain and don't just want to be fobbed off with pills.

I am so tired of having to explain to GPs and complementary therapists in UK about scoliosis and the pain it causes - and having to deal with their own mis-information, mis-conceptions and plain ignorance just because I cannot point to a recognised treatment path. Is there any other condition that is treated with such indifference?

Comment

Originally posted by burdle View Post
      Why are we all so accepting that things won't work for older patients? Why are we not demanding a voice and a treatment path for pain at the very least that does not involve having to convince medics along the supply chain all the time that we have pain and don't just want to be fobbed off with pills.

I am so tired of having to explain to GPs and complementary therapists in UK about scoliosis and the pain it causes - and having to deal with their own mis-information, mis-conceptions and plain ignorance just because I cannot point to a recognised treatment path. Is there any other condition that is treated with such indifference?
      If you are asking that these treatments be formally studied then I agree with you but nobody seems to want to do it. And the people who will do it like Fishman (MD in physiatry, not orthopedics) and his magic yoga position are not trained in the field (or in research at all it seems) and the papers they produce are flawed.

Adults are free to try anything and everything on their own though.
      Last edited by Pooka1; 10-27-2015, 03:05 PM.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

"Why are we all so accepting that things won't work for older patients? Why are we not demanding a voice and a treatment path for pain at the very least that does not involve having to convince medics along the supply chain all the time that we have pain and don't just want to be fobbed off with pills." - burdle

My fault. I always assume that the older we get, the more difficult to "change" the spine. Youth is a wonderful thing and I think it just helps when it comes to treating certain conditions. Maybe I'm wrong; I hope I'm wrong. I just can't imagine being able to do strenuous calisthenics at my age - 61. But if I thought it would help, I would certainly try. I agree with you about doctors just handing out pain pills to older patients. I've had doctors tell me that there's nothing that can be done about my scoliosis at this point, at this age, so I just have to live with the pain. It's frustrating. I'm in constant mild pain and I'm getting more of a hunchback - just like my dad had. He lived to be 85, but his scoliosis affected his lung capacity which worried his doctors when he needed heart surgery.

Comment

There are few studies about non surgical options but some of them showed even reduction in adults too. I know about SEAS and the modified yoga side plank allowing amazing reductions.. surely not permanent (who knows?) but the study is clear about the real that reductions were. Of course is not necessary to be a Dr. to realize that this exigent excercise should to be done in only one side.
          And what about Spinecor for adults?? A woman over 60 y.o. here had a good outcome.

Comment

Working...
          X