Schroth discussed in the New York Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schroth discussed in the New York Times

There is a discussion of the Schroth approach in the New York Times, including the encouraging bit of news that the Hospital for Special Surgery is now using it. The url is long but you can also go to the Times and then go to the WELL blog.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...2FSchroth&_r=0

Hi Aterry, good to know that N.Y. Times continues giving us good non surgical news!
    Schroth is obviously a very much logic method without any doubt and not only having to do with muscular strength and tone as seems to be promoted. I’m focused in bone remodeling in adults http://www.uvm.edu/~istokes/pdfs/JSPD24.pdf and some Schroth exercises sure are good also in that sense.

See you.

Comment

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of Ms. Peachman's story is the statements by four orthopedists that the Schroth method appears to make a positive difference, or at least is worth investigating. And notice that even the renowned Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City has added one or more Schroth therapists to its staff.

Comment

PT has been shown to be effective for pain.

The progression issue was not solved by Weiss (after about 10 years and about 30,000 patients) and so he doesn't do the family PT any more for that purpose if I understand his quote correctly about only doing bracing now.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Writer View Post
          Perhaps the most interesting aspect of Ms. Peachman's story is the statements by four orthopedists that the Schroth method appears to make a positive difference, or at least is worth investigating. And notice that even the renowned Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City has added one or more Schroth therapists to its staff.
          Yes, I also think so. Fortunately today we are able to understand the changes that something like Schroth may do, so people began to realize that not only pain but also progression might be stopped in some cases with the right kind of PT.

Comment

I'm not sure it has been proven (not yet, at least) that progression can be stopped with this or any sort of PT.

However, having said that, it seems that doctors have found use for this form of PT in some cases, perhaps when used in conjunction with other treatments, as the quote below from the article mentions:

“We’re primarily using Schroth on people who are being braced — I think it will make bracing more successful,” said Dr. M. Timothy Hresko, chairman of the research society’s nonoperative committee and associate professor of orthopedic surgery at Harvard."

That sounds like a very reasonable expectation/approach from a very highly-regarded orthopedic surgeon.

The author (a 38 year-old woman) also seems to be focusing in the article on pain relief for herself. Perhaps HSS is using this Schroth therapist to help with pain management, which of course is a good thing.

Since none of the studies were randomized, controlled trials, I am trying to be realistic and not get hopes too high just yet. And while I don't think anyone is talking about PT ever correcting or reversing a curve, I would be ecstatic if we see proof going forward that this method really does halt progression.
            Last edited by mariaf; 05-22-2014, 02:55 PM.
            mariaf305@yahoo.com
            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

“We’re primarily using Schroth on people who are being braced — I think it will make bracing more successful,” said Dr. M. Timothy Hresko, chairman of the research society’s nonoperative committee and associate professor of orthopedic surgery at Harvard."

Certainly is also fantastic to know this people are realizing the importance in combining different principles in order to achieve the same goal! To use the principles behind braces and principles behind Schroth is sure a very good start, useful to save by now some people from surgery.. probably not all the people, but it's only a start!
              Last edited by flerc; 05-22-2014, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I agree it is fantastic to see different methods used in conjunction with each other. Sometimes you need to use more than one tool in the toolbox!
                mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
                  I agree it is fantastic to see different methods used in conjunction with each other. Sometimes you need to use more than one tool in the toolbox!
                  I agree with this in the abstract. But when you admit to a child there is no evidence combining treatments works, and they are faced with wearing a brace for 23 hours a day and then having to do PT during their only hour out of the brace, I can imagine the enthusiam might decrease over time.

The other thing is I would love to ask Dr. Hresko exactly why he thinks adding PT to bracing might be more effective. I would also like to ask him why braces need to be more effective when BrAIST showed 93% of the kids who wore the brace more than X hours were "successful".
                  Last edited by Pooka1; 05-25-2014, 12:13 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Her 42-degree curve was progressing, and orthopedists had told her she needed surgery.
                    “Within the first three days there, I was out of pain for the first time in five years,” said Ms. Mulvaney, now 19. After eight months of Schroth exercises, her curve decreased to 30 degrees, and it has since dropped to 22 degrees — a reduction extremely rare in patients her age.

Really incredible and it seems it was achieved with only Schroth (no brace). I hope to have Schroth in my country someday.

Comment

How many hours of PT does she do a day?

Will she do PT for the rest of her life?

Will it continue to work her whole life?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
                        “Within the first three days there, I was out of pain for the first time in five years,” said Ms. Mulvaney, now 19. After eight months of Schroth exercises, her curve decreased to 30 degrees, and it has since dropped to 22 degrees — a reduction extremely rare in patients her age.
                        That sort of reduction (42 degrees to 22 degrees) is indeed EXTREMELY rare and therefore it is natural that it raises many questions. My questions would be similar to Sharon's regarding how permanent the correction is, etc. You can take an x-ray five minutes after removing a brace, and you will likely get much better results than if you had waited 24-48 hours. Also, are these results documented? I'm not saying that anyone is fabricating but it definitely bears more investigation.

It seems too good to be true - but hopefully it is!
                        mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Her orthopedist, Dr. John J. Labiak, clinical assistant professor of orthopedic surgery and neurosurgery at Stony Brook University, said he was “shocked and happily surprised” by her progress. He has begun recommending the method to other patients.

Fortunatelly this Dr. knows this case so he said what he said!.

Comment

This amount of PT-dependent reduction does seem rare based on the reporting of only one such case by the SEAS folks when we know many, many more were doing the exercises.

And that one patient had to increase the PT more and more until she got that reduction. It is probably no coincidence that the researchers aren't clear on exactly how much PT she does a day... maybe it is more than 99% of people are willing to do. And that is for the rest of her life. I hope she doesn't get too sick to do the PT ever.

It would have been more illuminating if they admitted how many people were doing this PT wherein only ONE got that reduction.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

This may or may not have relevance.
                              My niece went into the Army. With the extensive calisthenic exercises they do in boot camp her curve all but disappeared. I'm surprised they took her with an obvious curve. But that's beside the point.

After she got out of the military, her curve is worse than it ever has been.

My guess is that it's not the Schroth method in particular, but good old fashioned exercise. Once the exercise was stopped, well...

This is just what Pooka1 surmised. It has to be a lifetime commitment.
                              Be happy!
                              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                              X