Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hernaited disc post surgery

Hi everyone,

its been a while since I've been on the boards. I had my surgery last November and am about 5 1/2 post op now. My surgery was T3-L3 and seemed to go very well. I still feel like I have a brick wall attached to my back but am hoping with the warmer weather, exercise and time, things will improve. About a month ago I started having pain from my lower back down to my right hip and into the top portion of my leg. Finally after about 3 weeks, I asked my doctor about it and he requested an MRI be done. turns out I do have a herniated disc, between L5 and S1. My doctor thought with that area I should be having the pain on my left side, not my right. Sure enough the other day, the pain started on my left. last night it was so bad and was radiating down my leg all the way to my shin. I have an appt with an anesthesiologist but not for 2 more weeks and thats just for a consult. Has anyone else gone though this and has any recommendations. Is this caused from the surgery? I am praying this isnt the start of having new problems now that the surgery is over. The only medication I am taking is Ultram.

Thanks for any feedback!

Jill

I have been battling herniation’s for 13 years now....lumbar and cervical, before and after surgery. I wish I had an answer on why it seems we scoliosis patients are more prone to them but I don’t and it’s the pits. I am so sorry you have to deal with this.....

I don’t think its due to the surgery, or don’t think that assigning blame is worth it. Sometimes we just cant fuse it all....(grim face) I think the main thing is to try to stay as stress free as possible and take slow walks. Talk to your surgeon and see what he thinks...

Some of the things I have done....

Lay down if tired.
    Use hot water, like a hot soak....preferably a hot tub or deep tub so you can float. Drink water if you do this
    Massages (light massage) Best after hot soak.
    Oral steroids (Medrol pack)
    NSAID’s (Celebrex, Diclofenac, Naproxen.....etc..) Celebrex kept me going for a long time back in 2002, Diclofenac worked well for my neck last year.(Our fire extinguishers).
    Steroid shots.....
    Ocean therapy (Swimming all day in the ocean in Hawaii) Hapuna beach to be exact (smiley face)
    Vax-D therapy....Computerized traction (probably not a good idea right now, your still healing and fusing)
    Light physical therapy, mainly walking slowly.

Herniated discs can be crippling. I hope your not working, that just makes it so hard for the inflammation to settle down.

The good news is that discs do retract somehow.....and the pain does subside in time. Pain can come and go with different intensities. I was even skiing pretty hard after my lumbar herniation’s healed some.....

The brick wall feeling will subside along with the strange muscle feelings we have after surgery....It took me around a year or so, after my mind was diverted. I know this might seem impossible right now, but its something we need to do....mental diversion.

Hang in there and do let us know how the battle goes...

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hang in there. Hope things get better
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Jill, I suggest that you call the pain management anesthesiologist and explain your severe pain and request an appointment sooner. Tell them to call you with a cancellation!

I hope that your back calms down and that you get some good rest soon. Ed's suggestions are great, having been there also. I liked the ocean swimming the best....haha.

Wishing you better days, Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Have you gotten an earlier appointment?
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thanks so much for your great ideas and support. My 6 month post-op appt is this week and I'll see if my doc can do any better with getting me in sooner at the anesthesiologist. The pain comes and goes, dull at times and sharp at others. Mostly in my right leg but some in my left too. I'm trying to stay positive and think about good things. Planning a great trip in November to celebrate my 1 year anniversary. Me and my family deserve it! Hopefully I'll be in great shape by then

Comment

Working...
            X