Spinal Fusion Rates Back in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
    Rohrer, I agree with you about not trusting the data. It seems very inaccurate to say Lenke and Hey did no complex fusions, and I doubt this discrepancy is just due to improper coding issues. I am always leery of this type of sensational-style expose articles, as they are frequently lots of hype that can scare off people who actually do need surgery.

I had a woman at the gym express disapproval about my surgery after noticing my scar (talk about a rude unsolicited opinion!!). She was very pious and went on to say that when her back hurts she uses a hot pack. People like this are fueled by poorly-researched expose articles in popular media.
    You might want to respond to that presumptuous women, "Great that hot packs worked for you, but they didn't for me." And then walk away. Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
      I could be wrong but I think the data is all based on medicare patients... So it is very skewed in many regards.
      I believe that the article is based on doctors who TAKE Medicare reimbursement, but did not state that they only counted the Medicare reimbursement cases.

Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
      X