Bowling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowling

Our company is having a team building event on 4/25 when everyone will go bowling. I am one year post op, is bowling OK? Any advice?
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Sorry I don't have any advice since I haven't had surgery. I don't bowl now with my scoliosis. It hurts me too much. I would call up your doctor's office and ask them. They will be able to give you a thumbs up or thumbs down since they know your case. I hope you can go. Bowling is so much fun!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

If I were you, I would go to a bowling alley and rent a lane with Dave and see how you do. Each person's fusion is a little different as is each persons way that they posture to bowl. Since you cannot twist and bend, my guess is that you would have to modify your bowling posture.

Check it out. My guess is, yes, you can bowl, but you need to modify your stance.

Good luck!

Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Ask your surgeon is the best advice
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hi...

Dr. Hu typically removes all restrictions at one year. I suspect she'd say that bowling is fine, but to stop if it's painful.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you all for the response.

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
              Our company is having a team building event on 4/25 when everyone will go bowling. I am one year post op, is bowling OK? Any advice?
              I would ask the doctor

Comment

I went bowling recently and just used the lightest-weight ball (8 lbs) and just kind of dropped it, rather than trying to bend to throw it. Surprisingly, I didn't get sore. Have fun!!

Evelyn
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Had a great time bowling! That would not have been possible before the surgery, but today I had zero back pain doing it, but my arm is sore. I was using medium weight balls. Need to hit gym more often.

Comment

Working...
                  X