Tomorrow Scojo will just be Jo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jo,
    I just saw your post, so by now you are Jo and not ScoJo. Best of luck a for a smooth recovery. From everything we've read from Melissa, you have an excellent and very caring surgeon. We will all be looking forward to a report from your friend.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Update on Jo AKA Scojo

Hi Everyone,

This is SueAnn posting for Jo. I am sitting with her now as I write this. Forgive me for my lack of technical terminology on this subject. The bottom line is that the her surgeon proclaimed this morning that her ex ray was"superb"!

Her curve is now approximately 10-12 degrees. The physical therapist had her standing and but for a drop in her blood pressure, would of had her walking. Tomorrow is another day!

Her pain is being managed fairly well for which those of us that love her are extremely grateful, as is she.

I will continue to keep you updated on her progress.

SueAnn

Comment

Thanks for the update
        Kara
        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
        T4-L2
        Before 50T
        After 20T

Comment

Glad that Dr Bederman helped you

Melissa
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thank you SueAnn, for giving us an update on Jo!

That's a great correction. I hope all goes smoothly through her recovery.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jo: I promise, it will get better! It hurts now with every time that you slightly move, and in the future, your body will adjust and the hurt gradually decreases. Drugs are good! Nancy Reagan was wrong, "Say YES to drugs!"

I thought about you at least a dozen times on Monday and Tuesday. I sent you healing thoughts!

Sounds like you are in excellent hands with SueAnn.

Take care, think positive thoughts! We all survived the first days, week, weeks, month, etc. you have an awesome attitude and you will survive and get better.

A gently hug,
              Susan and her abdomenal truss
              Last edited by susancook; 04-03-2014, 01:58 AM.
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Wow!! What a great correction! I imagine you're feeling a little "rough" at the moment but hang in there. Sending you healing thoughts.

Diane

Comment

hope you feel better every day, Jo

will say it again...
                  protective, pro-shmective....no such thing...
                  i had a "small" curve when younger....
                  protection my foot....my curve got bigger when i
                  got older...period....got protection from nothin'
                  i think that is a bunch of hoo-ey

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Another day, Ms. Jo to do your physical therapy and get out of that bed and walk!
                    Find the sunshine and absorb some of it!
                    It's a new day and now one more day closer to being healed!
                    You can do it, you have the fortitude, take a deep breath....in through your nose, out through your mouth.
                    Good morning to you!
                    (Can you tell that I used to be in the military?)
                    Love and hugs to you for a complete recovery,
                    Susan
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Jo formerly Scojo

Hi All,

SueAnn for Jo. Today is a much rougher day than yesterday as we pretty much anticipated. Medical staff is still trying to get her blood pressure stabilized so that they can get her up and walking. Her positive attitude is amazing and she keeps telling herself "I did it!"

Please keep up your positive thoughts as it boosts her spirits when I read them to her.

I will continue to post her progress.

SueAnn

Comment

Hope it gets better

Melissa
                        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Saying prayers for you as I remember the first few days of surgery.

Drugs are definitely good!

Everyday things will get a little bit better! Keep the chin up!
                          Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                          Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                          Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                          Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                          The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                          Before and after xrays:
                          http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Very best of luck in your recovery, Jo.

I find it helps me to look at my progress every week, versus every day as the days can go up and down.

It sounds like you are in the hands of a wonderful, caring surgeon.
                            Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
                            Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
                            Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Comment

I'm keeping you in prayer, Jo, and checking these posts to see how you are doing. I had my surgery (T1 to S1 with pelvic fixation) when I was 53. It sure wasn't easy. I am now 18 months from surgery. The first weeks are the hardest you'll ever have and it will seem like there is no progress. But the healing is taking place deep inside and your new spine is working hard for you, building cells to make you well again. Hang in there. The pain you're going through will lessen and it will be totally worth it!
                              1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
                              2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
                              2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
                              2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
                              2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
                              At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
                              Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
                              Post op x-ray

Comment

Jo, it sounds like you are doing well under the circumstances. I haven't had surgery for my scoliosis so I don't know what's normal or what to expect. But from reading other people's stories, you sound like you are doing quite well. I have trouble with my blood pressure dropping too low after surgery, too. I'm sure it will settle down. They don't want you do get dizzy and fall. So take the help of people around you when they get you walking. I hope the pain gets better soon. It seems like it always gets a little worse before it gets better. So you at least know it's not going to go on like this forever. Take care and good wishes to you. You are "Jo" now!
                                Be happy!
                                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                                but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                                X