New Contact Info for Dr. Betz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Contact Info for Dr. Betz

As some of you may have heard, Dr. Betz is no longer at Shriners Hospital in Philadelphia. He can now be reached at:

The Institute for Spine and Scoliosis, with offices at:
    3100 Princeton Pike, Bldg. 1
    Lawrenceville, NJ 08648 (near Princeton)
    609-912-1500 or 800-372-6001

and with another location (beginning this spring) at:
    800A Fifth Avenue @ 61st Street
    Suite 301
    New York, New York 10065

Janet Cerrone, who has worked with Dr. Betz for 15 years (and who can now be reached at jcerrone@spineandscoliosis.com in addition to janetcerrone@comcast.net) is also now at this location. Dr. Darryl Antonacci (who has practiced alongside Dr. Betz at Shriners in the past, including performing VBS in its early years – and who treats both children and adults) is also at The Institute.

As I know there are folks who will wonder, this was NOT their decision to leave Shriners. Dr. Betz has devoted 30 years of his life to helping children at Shriners Hospital in Philadelphia. But working for a large corporation myself, I am well aware that politics usually play a role in these things, as it did in this case. In fact, leaving Shriners was so against Dr. Betz’s philosophy that one of the first things he did was try to ensure that patients could see him for consultations at his new practice regardless of insurance or ability to pay.

There are also indications that Shriners Hospital in Philadelphia - while still of course, treating spinal deformities such as scoliosis – may be shifting its emphasis more towards other non-spine orthopedic conditions. In addition to parting ways with Dr. Betz and Janet (two leaders in the field), the new Chief of Staff is not a spinal surgeon, but rather specializes in upper extremities. These factors, coupled with other events, indicate a possible move into a practice that may no longer focus so heavily on the spine as it has in the past.

While I still believe very strongly in the mission of Shriners Hospitals for Children, I would be lying if I said I was not a bit disappointed in them and their administration right now based on these recent events that have unfolded and also how they unfolded. One reason I am posting this is because parents have contacted me stating that they felt they were misled. They were told that Dr. Betz was retiring and that other doctor(s) would be taking over for him, rather than being told the truth, that the hospital was parting ways with him and that he would now be practicing elsewhere. Perhaps this practice is not uncommon in the business world, but parents were very upset nonetheless -- and IMHO, it is not in keeping with ‘putting the patient first’ something that I can honestly say I have NEVER seen Dr. Betz neglect to do in over a decade. Even throughout this entire ordeal, he has conducted himself like the class act that he is - and I know that he, along with Janet and Dr. Antonacci, will continue to bring cutting edge treatments to their young scoliosis patients.
    Last edited by mariaf; 07-07-2014, 07:55 AM.
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Well that's a shame. Of course Shriners does not come with clean hands to any table given their reliance on blood money from circuses.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

It really is a shame, Sharon. I saw some subtle changes in the past couple of years, but never dreamed it would come to this. It took me a while to wrap my head around the fact that Dr. Betz would no longer be at the institution that he helped make into a top-notch center for scoliosis in particular.

Fortunately, he is starting to build a great team already with Janet and Dr. Antonacci - and they continue to demonstrate their passion for offering better alternatives to their young scoliosis patients. They will be performing fusionless surgeries such as tethering and are already working on plans to get an EOS (low dose) x-ray machine. Ironically, a lot of the money that was donated for the Philly EOS machine was from grateful families of HIS patients.
      mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

I am worried about kids who will not have access to non-fusion surgeries now. Where will they go if they have no insurance or inadequate insurance? Are the other Shriners still offering it?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

That was one of my first concerns as well. As far as I know, Shriners in Philly is one of the only - if not the only - hospital in the Shrine system doing VBS and the only one doing tethering. Ironically, in all likelihood, neither procedure would have begun to be performed there were it not for Dr. Betz.

The other concern I have is the ability of the Philly hospital to continue to attract the best talent. I know for a fact that many of these surgeons, like Dr. Samdani, were drawn to the Philly hospital by the opportunity to work alongside and learn from Dr. Betz.

Knowing Dr. Betz as I do, I believe he will try to work with any insurance company (even if it means getting paid less - it's not about the money for him, or he would have chosen to go into private practice years ago. The Shriners doctors don't make nearly what their counterparts outside the Shrine system do).

For those with no insurance, as of now at least, they would still be able to go to the Philly hospital for either VBS or tethering.
          mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

I don't understand the shift away from spine at Shriners/Philly if no other Shriners are doing spine at that expertise level. It is one of a kind. Did they shift to upper extremities? Is there a need for specialized surgery in upper extremity like there is for spine? What are they going to do with the EOS if they aren't doing spine?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
              That was one of my first concerns as well. As far as I know, Shriners in Philly is one of the only - if not the only - hospital in the Shrine system doing VBS and the only one doing tethering. Ironically, in all likelihood, neither procedure would have begun to be performed there were it not for Dr. Betz.
              Just to clarify, Dr Scott Luhmann does VBS at Shriner's Hospital in St Louis. He is absolutely superb and came highly recommended by Dr Betz after Leah was unexpectedly taken off the Philly VBS waiting list entirely after being given two dates and seeing them both cancelled without explanation. That is no way to treat any family. This was back in 2010 during Shriner's budget cutbacks, still, it was a terrible experience for our family.

I am glad to hear Dr Betz will still be offering VBS and tethering, but I wonder how he's going to manage with many insurances refusing to cover it.

Thanks Maria for keeping this community informed. I know you must feel like the rug was pulled out from under you since David has been a patient of Dr Betz's for so long now.
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Oh hey thanks for posting that. So at least Shriners/St. Louis is still offering experienced VBS.

I don't understand how they got away with not giving you a reason TWICE. That is crazy. The next step for me would have been standing on someone's desk. Literally. :-)

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                  Just to clarify, Dr Scott Luhmann does VBS at Shriner's Hospital in St Louis. He is absolutely superb and came highly recommended by Dr Betz after Leah was unexpectedly taken off the Philly VBS waiting list entirely after being given two dates and seeing them both cancelled without explanation. That is no way to treat any family. This was back in 2010 during Shriner's budget cutbacks, still, it was a terrible experience for our family.

I am glad to hear Dr Betz will still be offering VBS and tethering, but I wonder how he's going to manage with many insurances refusing to cover it.

Thanks Maria for keeping this community informed. I know you must feel like the rug was pulled out from under you since David has been a patient of Dr Betz's for so long now.
                  Hi Gayle,

As for offering VBS and tethering, as of now I can only say for sure that Dr. Betz and Dr. Antonacci are offering tethering (I'm not saying they won't perform VBS, but that may depend - as you say - on if a particular insurance carrier will cover it or not). I guess much like Dr. Newton, they are execting to get tethering covered (I know Dr. Betz and Dr. Newton are friends and I imagine they've discussed this). There is also at least one other surgeon (in CA I believe) who performs tethering - based on what I hear from parents on the VBS site - so thankfully these surgeries ARE being covered by insurance, at least in some cases.

As for the rug being pulled out from under me, yes, at first it felt like that. But as events unfolded, it really was a no-brainer to follow Dr. Betz and Janet. They have followed David for the past several years (and I adore them both) - and since it's actually closer to travel to Princeton (and soon to Manhattan!), it was an easier decision than I thought.

p.s. Thanks for mentioning Dr. Luhmann - I inadvertently neglected to do so!
                  Last edited by mariaf; 03-28-2014, 07:57 AM.
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                    I don't understand the shift away from spine at Shriners/Philly if no other Shriners are doing spine at that expertise level. It is one of a kind. Did they shift to upper extremities? Is there a need for specialized surgery in upper extremity like there is for spine? What are they going to do with the EOS if they aren't doing spine?
                    Sorry if I was unclear - they will still be seeing spine patients - it's just that there seem to be indications that they will focus on other areas as well and not be focused so strongly on the spine as they have for the past several years. I believe there are those inside who want to focus on things like upper extremities as well as other areas - and not just be known as a premier spine center.
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
                      Sorry if I was unclear - they will still be seeing spine patients - it's just that there seem to be indications that they will focus on other areas as well and not be focused so strongly on the spine as they have for the past several years. I believe there are those inside who want to focus on things like upper extremities as well as other areas - and not just be known as a premier spine center.
                      If Betz et al. leave then they may or may not still be considered a premier spine center rather than a good one. Not all surgeons are pushing the research envelope like Betz does.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Exactly.

For the past 30 years, Dr. Betz has been the heart and soul of the spine program there. Not many doctors combine his experience, skill and drive to continue to find new and better treatment options to treat scoliosis in young children.

For the last 15 years, Janet Cerrone had also become an integral (and in many ways irreplaceable) part of the spine team in Philly as well.

It's difficult to imagine that their loss won't have an adverse effect on the program.
                        Last edited by mariaf; 03-31-2014, 09:00 AM.
                        mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Well, without them there I'm not going to refer any future grandkids there. I'll refer them to the other one. Where was it? Chicago or St. Louis?

Edit: I read back through to see it was Dr. Luhmann in St. Louis. It's closer to us, anyway.
                          Be happy!
                          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                          but we are alive today!

Comment

Yes, as far as I know, St. Louis has a really good spine program - and I do know a few folks who have seen Dr. Luhmann and were extremely pleased with him.
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Just a quick update - Dr. Betz is now seeing patients in his NYC office, as well as in Princeton, NJ. The Institute for Spine and Scoliosis has opened its Fifth Avenue office (right near Central Park) - and as of now, I believe that Janet is scheduling patients to see him at this location on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month. Of course, they may increase the number of days they are in NYC depending on the number of patients who need to see them at this location.
                              mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X