Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camptocormia

Hi...

I've actually been waiting a long time for someone to post on this subject, and am a little surprised that no one has had this diagnosed. Camptocormia (or Bent Spine Syndrome) is characterized, at least in our patients, by a sudden onset of curve progression, almost always in older adults, with no spinal fracture as the cause. These patients are usually decompensated and have curves in both coronal and sagittal planes. We have probably 12-15 patients with this, but it appears to be pretty rare. These cases are almost always surgical, and our surgeons take muscle biopsies at the time of surgery. The paraspinal muscles in these patients are usually heavily infiltrated with fat, confirmed by both biopsy and preop MRI.

Has anyone ever gotten this diagnosis?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Is this what is going on with all the collapse cases Dr. Hey posts?
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I did a search on the blog for collapse, and didn't see any xrays that look typical to me.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
      X