Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Boachie-Adjei is retiring

Hi all,

Quite a few of us here had our surgery with Dr. Boachie, and I found out today that he's retiring in October of this year. In January, he's going back to Ghana (his homeland) to work full-time for FOCOS, the charitable organization he founded that provides scoliosis surgery to needy patients there. The letter I received didn't mention anything about who is taking over his practice. I think he's in his mid-60s now, so this isn't really surprising, but it's kind of a weird feeling to know he won't be around.

I know there was controversy about how he didn't take insurance, and his staff was a bit prickly, and he was not a warm and fuzzy guy, but he did an excellent job on my spine. I hope I won't need any more surgery, but if I do, I doubt I'll find someone I would trust as much.

Are there any other Boachie patients here who might know what will happen in his practice? I know he had a few surgeons he was training.....
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Hey Chris I'm really surprises about that. I been a following the newsletters from focos
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
      Hi all,

Quite a few of us here had our surgery with Dr. Boachie, and I found out today that he's retiring in October of this year. In January, he's going back to Ghana (his homeland) to work full-time for FOCOS, the charitable organization he founded that provides scoliosis surgery to needy patients there. The letter I received didn't mention anything about who is taking over his practice. I think he's in his mid-60s now, so this isn't really surprising, but it's kind of a weird feeling to know he won't be around.

I know there was controversy about how he didn't take insurance, and his staff was a bit prickly, and he was not a warm and fuzzy guy, but he did an excellent job on my spine. I hope I won't need any more surgery, but if I do, I doubt I'll find someone I would trust as much.

Are there any other Boachie patients here who might know what will happen in his practice? I know he had a few surgeons he was training.....

Hi, I too received that same letter. Like you I am not totally surprised but oh the security of not having him here is terrifying. I have an appointment on 4/10 for my 2 year follow-up and am a bit frightened as last week after bending over heard a pop on my left side near hip, quite loud and since then have been having what feels like a bruise back there and now feeling that oh familiar pain or ache I felt before surgery. Up to now I have been GREAT! What the heck. Any thoughts from anyone out there. So to say I will be so sad to see Dr. B go is an understatement.

BTW - fused from T9-S1 May 2010

Comment

Originally posted by rockycarm View Post
        have an appointment on 4/10 for my 2 year follow-up and am a bit frightened as last week after bending over heard a pop on my left side near hip, quite loud and since then have been having what feels like a bruise back there and now feeling that oh familiar pain or ache I felt before surgery. Up to now I have been GREAT! What the heck. Any thoughts from anyone out there. So to say I will be so sad to see Dr. B go is an understatement.

BTW - fused from T9-S1 May 2010
        Sounds like it could easily be an iliac screw. The good news is that, assuming your fusion is solid, you don't really need the iliac screws any more.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Rockycarm -- I'm glad you also had good results from Dr. B. Let us know how your checkup in April goes -- hopefully Linda is right!
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            Sounds like it could easily be an iliac screw. The good news is that, assuming your fusion is solid, you don't really need the iliac screws any more.

--Linda
            Linda,

Thanks for your response, I hope you are right! Do you think an x-ray will pick it up or will I require an MRI, do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
              Rockycarm -- I'm glad you also had good results from Dr. B. Let us know how your checkup in April goes -- hopefully Linda is right!
              Thanks Chris, me too!

Comment

Hi All

Thanks all for your continued inspiration. Had my appointment in April to find out that Dr. B felt it was a just a pulled muscle and the fusion is solid. Have been feeling great since but I have to say the office visit was so sad to know that I will not see him again. I told him I would go to Ghana to see him LOL. Checked out the price to go from NY would be basically $2K for a 10 minute visit. Hope I don't need it! HAHA

Thanks again.

Comment

I am glad to hear that your fusion is solid and you are feeling better.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Feeling sad about Dr. Boachie leaving and retiring!

I saw Dr. Boachie 2 years ago and he was the most pleasant, soft spoken, and genuine spine surgeon. He made me and my family feel so comfortable and told me that my scoliosis did not progress much over the last 10 years which is the opposite of what other surgeons have been telling me all these years. He also said that since I was considering having a third child that it would be best that I had the baby first and then have the surgery. That's exactly what I did and I am currently expecting but I received the letter about his retirement and couldn't be more sadder! What makes this situation even harder for me is that my daughter who also has scoliosis did progress severely and I was hoping to take her to Dr. B for consultation and even possibly have him operate on her over the summer prior to his leave but unfortunately the office informed me that they no longer make appointments. This is all very sad news and I am feeling really down. I knew this day would have come and that was my worse fear. It happened all too soon and I am not sure I will find another doctor as good and honest as he is. My mom told me that she will take me to Ghana if needed. I wish that would have been an option. In his letter, Dr. B did mention few of his colleagues that will be seeing patients in his practice but there are 3 of them which I have not heard of yet. I will need to start doing some more research and look for another surgeon. Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Mariya
                    30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
                    8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
                    3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
                    4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
                    2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

Hi Mariya,

First of all, congratulations on the new baby on the way!!!

I know it's tough when you feel so comfortable with a surgeon, but rest assured there are many good and compassionate doctors out there.

I will e-mail you with a few names of adult and pediatric docs in the NYC area.

And again, CONGRATS!!!
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com
                      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

when you are ready to see another surgeon....
                        have you considered Dr Baron Lonner in Manhattan?
                        he is excellent...

best of luck for a healthy and uneventful pregnancy
                        jess...and Sparky

Comment

I think if I were Dr. Boachie, I'd probably choose to do what he's doing. No surgery in the U.S. could ever be anywhere near as rewarding as something like THIS surgery, which isn't all that uncommon in Ghana.
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                          X