Thread: Dr. Boachie-Adjei is retiring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dr. Boachie-Adjei is retiring

Hi all,

Quite a few of us here had our surgery with Dr. Boachie, and I found out today that he's retiring in October of this year. In January, he's going back to Ghana (his homeland) to work full-time for FOCOS, the charitable organization he founded that provides scoliosis surgery to needy patients there. The letter I received didn't mention anything about who is taking over his practice. I think he's in his mid-60s now, so this isn't really surprising, but it's kind of a weird feeling to know he won't be around.

I know there was controversy about how he didn't take insurance, and his staff was a bit prickly, and he was not a warm and fuzzy guy, but he did an excellent job on my spine. I hope I won't need any more surgery, but if I do, I doubt I'll find someone I would trust as much.

Are there any other Boachie patients here who might know what will happen in his practice? I know he had a few surgeons he was training.....
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Hey Chris I'm really surprises about that. I been a following the newsletters from focos
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Quote Originally Posted by Singer View Post
    Hi all,

Quite a few of us here had our surgery with Dr. Boachie, and I found out today that he's retiring in October of this year. In January, he's going back to Ghana (his homeland) to work full-time for FOCOS, the charitable organization he founded that provides scoliosis surgery to needy patients there. The letter I received didn't mention anything about who is taking over his practice. I think he's in his mid-60s now, so this isn't really surprising, but it's kind of a weird feeling to know he won't be around.

I know there was controversy about how he didn't take insurance, and his staff was a bit prickly, and he was not a warm and fuzzy guy, but he did an excellent job on my spine. I hope I won't need any more surgery, but if I do, I doubt I'll find someone I would trust as much.

Are there any other Boachie patients here who might know what will happen in his practice? I know he had a few surgeons he was training.....

Hi, I too received that same letter. Like you I am not totally surprised but oh the security of not having him here is terrifying. I have an appointment on 4/10 for my 2 year follow-up and am a bit frightened as last week after bending over heard a pop on my left side near hip, quite loud and since then have been having what feels like a bruise back there and now feeling that oh familiar pain or ache I felt before surgery. Up to now I have been GREAT! What the heck. Any thoughts from anyone out there. So to say I will be so sad to see Dr. B go is an understatement.

BTW - fused from T9-S1 May 2010

Quote Originally Posted by rockycarm View Post
    have an appointment on 4/10 for my 2 year follow-up and am a bit frightened as last week after bending over heard a pop on my left side near hip, quite loud and since then have been having what feels like a bruise back there and now feeling that oh familiar pain or ache I felt before surgery. Up to now I have been GREAT! What the heck. Any thoughts from anyone out there. So to say I will be so sad to see Dr. B go is an understatement.

BTW - fused from T9-S1 May 2010
    Sounds like it could easily be an iliac screw. The good news is that, assuming your fusion is solid, you don't really need the iliac screws any more.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Rockycarm -- I'm glad you also had good results from Dr. B. Let us know how your checkup in April goes -- hopefully Linda is right!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Quote Originally Posted by Singer View Post
    Rockycarm -- I'm glad you also had good results from Dr. B. Let us know how your checkup in April goes -- hopefully Linda is right!
    Thanks Chris, me too!

Hi All

Thanks all for your continued inspiration. Had my appointment in April to find out that Dr. B felt it was a just a pulled muscle and the fusion is solid. Have been feeling great since but I have to say the office visit was so sad to know that I will not see him again. I told him I would go to Ghana to see him LOL. Checked out the price to go from NY would be basically $2K for a 10 minute visit. Hope I don't need it! HAHA

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    Sounds like it could easily be an iliac screw. The good news is that, assuming your fusion is solid, you don't really need the iliac screws any more.

--Linda
    Linda,

Thanks for your response, I hope you are right! Do you think an x-ray will pick it up or will I require an MRI, do you know?