Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can I not still sit in a bathtub at 1 1/2 years after a successful fusion surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can I not still sit in a bathtub at 1 1/2 years after a successful fusion surgery

I had a very successful fusion surgery from T4 to sacrum in July 2012. I am doing strength training with a personal trainer again, walking a lot, very active, BUT I want to take a bath and soak in a tub again and it seems impossible. When I sit down with my legs out straight I fall backwards toward back of the tub unless I brace myself with my arms behind me to push my back into more of a sitting position. It is very uncomfortable so I end up taking showers. I read about others here taking hot baths which I want to be able to do again but it seems impossible. I have tried to practice sitting on the floor with my legs out straight and it is impossible to sit at a right angle with my back up straight. Any ideas?
    Jane

Hi Jane,

I had this problem after surgery too, and realized it was due to tight hamstrings. Once I started doing hamstring stretches (and time went by) it got easier. I used to love to sit on the floor at home especially when playing with my kids. Now that is just not a comfortable position, even though it got easier after stretching.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Jane, I have the exact same problem. I believe that the reason is because I cannot bend with my spine to stabilize, so I start to fall backwards. One strategy is that I fold my legs underneath me to the side. I always fall backwards when my legs are straight. I also hold on to the water spicket to help me stay slightly forwards, of course do that while bending at the hips. My tub is a large sized soaking tub. Similar to you, I love to take a bath and soak. The next time that I am in the tub, I will check out what I do to stabilize and let you know. It will be a while since I had my incisional hernia repair yesterday. Susan.
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Thank you Gayle and Susan for giving this thought. I did strength training for 31/2 years before my surgery and my ham strings weren't tight but I guess they are now and I'm puzzled as to why they are. I am working on stretching them but guess I need to focus on this more on my own and with my trainer. Susan, I will be praying for a good recovery from your hernia repair. I am amazed you were able to post so soon after your surgery. I had to have a steroid injection in my left hip Monday for what my Rheumatologist feels is bursitis. I was thankful she didn't feel it was the screw in my pelvis. My hip feels better already.
        Jane

Comment

Jane, have you thought about getting some bath cushions?
          If your tub is very large, you could put some kind of wedge cushion in there to lean back against. My tub is small and I haven't had surgery. But, when my lower back hurts it's hard to get in. Once I'm laying down with my knees bent up it feels great. It's just getting into that position. So, even though I can't speak for post surgery people, I do sometimes have similar issues due to pain. I haven't resorted to bath cushions, but have seriously considered it. My step-mom has inflatable ones that stay put by suction cups. Those feel good, but aren't quite big enough for what we are talking about. There may be some sponge material that you can get. You'd just have to be sure to keep it disinfected. With the inflatable things you don't have to worry about that. Maybe you can look online for some bath supplies.
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Bath cushions might be a good idea. I know exactly where you're coming from. After 5 years I still can't sit on floor with legs out or do a tub. I only occasionally have wanted to do our tub with the jets when I was sore and it just didn't work. Yoga was out too. Also, my knees won't bend and go off to the side either--I just fall over. That has always seemed strange to me. It's not a big deal for me since I prefer showers and I really like yoga--but I can relate! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Gosh, you are all beyond me! I can't fathom taking a bath-- so it's good I prefer showers too. There's a lot of entertainment on the forum at times--and I guess I needed it after coming home from a long day. Trying to imagine all of us struggling to sit in a tub is funny (at least to me...) I can't sit on the floor-- just have to go down on my knee-- trying to sit doesn't work out at all for me. I also enjoyed the other thread about the girdles. I have no idea why I thought I needed to wear one in middle school and up... My mom didn't want me to wear nylons, so since I walked to school, I would stop part way at the laundromat and put them on in the bathroom. Of course you needed a girdle to attach the nylons with the garters that were part of the girdle... Silly stuff! But then I broke my foot at school one time and I had the nylons on when my mom picked me up. I also remember getting in trouble in gym in high school cuz I had my girdle on -- but who in heaven's name would want to take one off in front of everyone? Yuck! Unpleasant memories of having to dress/undress with others and taking showers. I'm sure they must not do that anymore. One big shower room with lots of spigots coming out and everyone trying to hide what they could, which wasn't very successful...

Good luck with the bathtub-- if at first you don't succeed, you know the rest. I bet you'll make it happen! It will be 7 years since my surgery on May 4th, so I think I'm beyond hope for that.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                Gosh, you are all beyond me! I can't fathom taking a bath-- so it's good I prefer showers too. There's a lot of entertainment on the forum at times--and I guess I needed it after coming home from a long day. Trying to imagine all of us struggling to sit in a tub is funny (at least to me...) I can't sit on the floor-- just have to go down on my knee-- trying to sit doesn't work out at all for me. I also enjoyed the other thread about the girdles. I have no idea why I thought I needed to wear one in middle school and up... My mom didn't want me to wear nylons, so since I walked to school, I would stop part way at the laundromat and put them on in the bathroom. Of course you needed a girdle to attach the nylons with the garters that were part of the girdle... Silly stuff! But then I broke my foot at school one time and I had the nylons on when my mom picked me up. I also remember getting in trouble in gym in high school cuz I had my girdle on -- but who in heaven's name would want to take one off in front of everyone? Yuck! Unpleasant memories of having to dress/undress with others and taking showers. I'm sure they must not do that anymore. One big shower room with lots of spigots coming out and everyone trying to hide what they could, which wasn't very successful...

Good luck with the bathtub-- if at first you don't succeed, you know the rest. I bet you'll make it happen! It will be 7 years since my surgery on May 4th, so I think I'm beyond hope for that.
                Are you kidding about the showering? In my high school we had to dress and undress in front of people. Our showers had private stalls, but don't remember if there were curtains or not. But then when I went to the university (I graduated in 2003) we had the SAME THING!!! I could NOT believe I was required to take PE! Of course they called it something else, Health and Physical Recreation (HP&R)! It was just like high school all over again except we had lecture classes in the auditorium once a week and the PE part on the other days! The locker rooms were NOT private and I think that there was one big shower. We had to dress out and everything! I skipped the shower part because I never got that stinky. Most of the other girls changed in their dorms or apartments, so I was one of the few who had to use the locker room. I didn't live nearby. But we HAD to wear THEIR uniforms and turn them in for washing and check them back out. Well, they must not have washed them very well because I got my first two plantars warts from THEIR socks! Fortunately, I've never had another wart since then. It was awful!
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

You girls are bringing back memories of high school in the 60's. I remember the one huge shower for the whole P.E. class with no curtains. We were required to shower and the teacher made the rounds to make sure we did. (Kind of makes you wonder . . .) At the time, my crooked back wasn't noticeable, but being a late bloomer, I was self conscious to be so underdeveloped. Always something. . .
                  I tried to sit in our tub at about 1 1/2 years post op and it just wasn't comfortable without leaning way back. No way could I shave my legs. I still prefer a shower, but because my hamstrings aren't so tight, it is much easier to sit on the floor or in the tub than it was a couple of years ago. I try to do exercises for my hamstrings so they don't tighten up again.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Interesting comments from all of you! My trainer had me do some stretches today lying on the floor on my back and pulling my leg up with stretch bands. I could get my leg up almost a 90 degree angle to the floor. She said that people with tight hamstrings couldn't get it as high as I was able to so she thinks the reason I can't sit in a tub Is due to some other reason such as how I 'm "wired together" now after my surgery. She thinks the whole thing is funny anyway and doesn't know why I would want to take anything but a shower. Guess she doesn't have sore muscles in her back that might feel good soaking in a hot tub!
                    Jane

Comment

Makes me remember middle and high school with the uniforms that they made you wear.
                      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Deep, wide tubs with sloping backs are better....once you float, you can stretch out. The old “standard “ sized and shaped bath tubs are hard to deal with. Funny how they made billions of them before they realized that the shape was worthless. My tub worked great and it is 19 inches deep, I just measured it with a tape ruler.

I had a 7 foot square hot tub with all the bells and whistles but was afraid to use in my immediate recovery due to a fall. I have since sold it since I don’t need it anymore. Used spa’s actually have no value whatsoever and people give them away. I paid $7500 for mine new and sold it for $100.

I cannot sit on the floor and stretch my legs out at all.

Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

How do you lay on the floor?

Jane D,

How in the world do you lay on the floor. I tried sitting on the floor a long time ago to play with our puppy. By the time I got down to sit, the pup ran off. It was very uncomfortable.
                          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

I assume that you ladies who are having problems lying back in the bath are having trouble because of being fused to the sacrum or pelvis? I don't think I can offer any useful advice as I'm fused to L4 and don't have any problems bathing. Like Ed, I favour a big, deep bath and have replaced my standard-sized one for a deep and wide one - if I sit on the bottom of the tub, I can lie back and let go and my torso floats very comfortably.

We had similar open showers at my school here in the UK in the late 1980s/early 1990s *shivers* - not something I like to look back on! It was worse for my husband though.....he went to a private Catholic school for boys, where some of the masters were monks, and one of the monks used to chase the boys around the showers with a fencing foil! AND, you won't believe this, but another friend of mine went to one of the top boys' schools in the country and they had to do nude swimming there.....not only were all the boys naked, but the adult swimming master was too. Unbelievable, but true! This was only stopped in the mid 1970s, which was fortunate for my friend as he was only there for a year or so before it got banned.

Sometimes, I am not altogether surprised that England has such a dodgy reputation abroad!

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                              Deep, wide tubs with sloping backs are better....once you float, you can stretch out. The old “standard “ sized and shaped bath tubs are hard to deal with. Funny how they made billions of them before they realized that the shape was worthless. My tub worked great and it is 19 inches deep, I just measured it with a tape ruler.

I had a 7 foot square hot tub with all the bells and whistles but was afraid to use in my immediate recovery due to a fall. I have since sold it since I don’t need it anymore. Used spa’s actually have no value whatsoever and people give them away. I paid $7500 for mine new and sold it for $100.

I cannot sit on the floor and stretch my legs out at all.

Ed
                              Well, now I know how to get a hot tub if we ever decide to get one! My hubby offered to get me a whirlpool tub when we remodelled our upstairs. After soaking in many hot tubs I came to the conclusion that a regular bathtub was best for me. Unfortunately I chose a small one so it would fit better in our bathroom. But we could have got a larger one. Our upstairs is a half-story. We had to make a little more room for the smaller tub anyway. So why not a couple of feet longer for a large tub? Duh! I'm stuck with it because I picked it out. The jets on those whirlpools make my skin itch something terrible. There is no massage effect for me. It's just the hot water that makes me feel better. If I can float and move around it's even better.
                              Be happy!
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                              X