Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Results.. Kinda Confused...

Hi ladies,

I got a copy of my CT report of my lumbar spine. Good news is that it says there is no evidence of the screws loosing. But it also says, "there is no evidence of solid fusions across the disc space level. Some posterior lateral bone graft material is in place without convincing evidence of solid fusion posterior laterally as well."

It's been almost four months since my revision surgery at L3 and L4, should I be concerned that there is "no evidence of a solid fusion". Sending results off to get a second opinion from another surgeon, but curious if anyone could give me any insight into this in the meantime.

Thanks!

Lauren

Lauren,
    You did the right thing by sending your results to a surgeon. I hope you sent a copy of the CT scan disc along with the interpretation for him/her to actually look at. I'm not sure how long it takes for fusions to be solid. Just from reading on here, though, I'm assuming that it can take longer than four months. I wouldn't panic just yet. Get your second opinion and see what the doctor says.

I wish you all the best!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

You are most welcome! I hope you have some peace of mind while you wait for your second opinion. =)
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Dr. Lenke did not see fusion in my X-rays until 12+ months.
          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

It is my understanding that fusion of vertebrae cannot be seen on X-rays but that thickening/solidifying between vertebrae can be seen which MAY BE fusion, but that fusion itself can not be definitively diagnosed or decided. Fusion can be decided/diagnosed at a surgery to stress the joining of the vertebrae or in the negative sense, when someone w/ spinal surgery has sudden pain and the X-ray shows non-junction.

Opinions? Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

In adults, we don't expect full fusion until ~12 months postop, so the CT results would be considered normal at this time. What they were looking for was haloing around the screws, which they didn't see. That's good news, though it doesn't explain your pain.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks, everyone! I feel a lot better about it now. You are all so knowledgeable! I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the info! Have a great weekend everyone!

-Lauren

Comment

Working...
                X