Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelvic screw pain

Pelvic screw pain

It's 5 months since my surgery. I am still having pain in my pelvic screw area. Also having struggles sitting for any period of time. Does anyone know if this is normal? I am scheduled to go back to the doctor next month.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiesmommie View Post
    It's 5 months since my surgery. I am still having pain in my pelvic screw area. Also having struggles sitting for any period of time. Does anyone know if this is normal? I am scheduled to go back to the doctor next month.
    Hi...

Yes, fairly normal. Pain from prominent iliac screws happens in up to 30% of patients. The good news is that the problem is fixable, though I think most surgeons want to leave the screws in for at least a year. Removal if fairly simple. You might want to do a search here, as there have been several threads on the topic.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Dixiesmommie: how does your pain from pelvic screws feel?

I have a tightness across my coccyx area that feels like someone stapled a board to my butt. Dr. Hu thought that ot might be from tight screws. I am almost at one year. Ibuprofen and Tramadol do make the discomfort better some of the time. Susan
    2011: Degenerative Adult Onset Scoliosis @65
    25* T levoscoliosis/ 36* L dexroscoliosis w/ 11.2 cm coronal & 3.5 cm sagittal balance T kyphosis 90*
    Severe disc degen thoracic & lumbar stenosis
    Surgery: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    3/2013, Dr. Hu @ UCSF
    Postop hernia @ ALIF incision repaired 2014
    8/2014: Rev surgery OHSU Dr. Hiratzka hardware removal T3-T5; reinstrument & revision fusion T3-T6
    Proximal Junctional Failure w/ SCI
    Cauda Equina Syndrome

Thanks Linda!

Susan, My entire lower spine is still very painful especially when sitting. My thoracic spine is still quite crooked, but was corrected in the 70's. I no longer have hardware in the thoracic spine. Sitting will always be a struggle with my upper rib hump. The specific area I believe to be screw pain is more to the left. I had bones harvested from that area as a child so I have a chunk of bone missing. The screw in that area feels like it is pinching, stabbing and burning all at the same time. Laying down is the only relief I can get from this pain. In addition to this pain, I have left sided leg/butt pain, left sided groin pain and very painful feet since my surgery. I am getting a left sided hip injection at my next visit to assist in diagnosing the problem.

I hope we all feel better soon.

Keep me posted as to how you are feeling. I know your surgery was several months before mine.

Dixie

I also had that DEEP ache of my pelvic anchors and mine are huge 8mm screws driven all the way down.

I also had that strange board or plank “pressure” feeling down low that Susan mentions, it would come and go through my recovery over the 1st year or so. I have not felt this in a few years now.

When this would happen, I would simply lay down and take a nap. After my shoulder was repaired and went through shoulder PT, I stayed the course with the walking and hikes trying not to push the limits too hard as my body healed. The 2nd year was actually my fine tuning year where I continued on and basically exercised it out. I didn’t think I had a choice in this matter.

Sitting is hard. The constant movement of the body is essential for recovery, that’s for sure. The moment we stop, it seems to go downhill. I limit my sitting time to around 20 minutes now, and walk often.

I also sit erect and do not lean back in my chairs much...

Stay the course, deep breaths, and take short walks often. (Every hour)

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 55, the new 45...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    A/P T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Thanks for all the support! I will continue to walk. I'm hoping for warm weather and possibly walking the water of the pool this week. (I'm in Florida) It was so much easier going through these surgeries when I was younger.

Thanks Linda!

Susan, My entire lower spine is still very painful especially when sitting. My thoracic spine is still quite crooked, but was corrected in the 70's. I no longer have hardware in the thoracic spine. Sitting will always be a struggle with my upper rib hump. The specific area I believe to be screw pain is more to the left. I had bones harvested from that area as a child so I have a chunk of bone missing. The screw in that area feels like it is pinching, stabbing and burning all at the same time. Laying down is the only relief I can get from this pain. In addition to this pain, I have left sided leg/butt pain, left sided groin pain and very painful feet since my surgery. I am getting a left sided hip injection at my next visit to assist in diagnosing the problem.

I hope we all feel better soon.

Keep me posted as to how you are feeling. I know your surgery was several months before mine.
    Your situation sounds much more complicated than mine, mainly because I have only had one set of surgeries and am fused in both thoracic and lumbar. I am hoping that time is on my side in that pain will eventually just progressively decrease. I am a dreamer!

I hope that your injection helps. I had an injection in my SI joint postop that helped some. So much of what we do seems to be a crap shoot. Nobody is really sure if it will help, but it is worth a try. Good luck!

I had L sided butt pain after surgery and looked at my X-rays and noticed that my R pelvis was lower than my L. So, I bought some over the counter insert shoe lifts for my R shoe and that has pretty much eliminated my butt pain.

Take care and hoping that you find pain relief, Susan
    25* T levoscoliosis/ 36* L dexroscoliosis w/ 11.2 cm coronal & 3.5 cm sagittal balance T kyphosis 90*
    3/2013, Dr. Hu @ UCSF
    8/2014: Rev surgery OHSU Dr. Hiratzka hardware removal T3-T5; reinstrument & revision fusion T3-T6
    Cauda Equina Syndrome

Lidocaine injections in area of pelvic screws?

I read somewhere that there is a "test" that can diagnose the problems of whether the pelvic screws are causing the problem with back pain or not. As I remember reading it, if the inj of Lidocaine into the area of the screws results in a decrease in the pain, then removal of the screws might be an option for decreasing pain. Anyone know what I am talking about?
    Susan
    3/2013, Dr. Hu @ UCSF
    Cauda Equina Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by susancook View Post
    I read somewhere that there is a "test" that can diagnose the problems of whether the pelvic screws are causing the problem with back pain or not. As I remember reading it, if the inj of Lidocaine into the area of the screws results in a decrease in the pain, then removal of the screws might be an option for decreasing pain. Anyone know what I am talking about?
    Susan

Susan, you are correct, That is what I have been told as well
    Melissa

All surgeries are on hold right now

Quote Originally Posted by mabeckoff View Post
    Susan, you are correct, That is what I have been told as well
    I have my 1 year appointment with Dr. Hu on Monday, and I will ask her about it. Even if the test showed that it was the pelvic screws, I doubt that I would do anything for at least another year. It seems that every time that I have had surgery, except for my cholecystectomy, I have had a post operative complication. I am afraid to have another back surgery.

Susan
    3/2013, Dr. Hu @ UCSF
    Cauda Equina Syndrome

Has anyone had pelvic/iliac screws removed?

Anyone had screws removed? Did you have the sensation that I describe above that feels like there is a severe tightness in the lowest lumbar area? What did the removal procedure involve? Did it help your discomfort?
    Thanks, Susan
    3/2013, Dr. Hu @ UCSF
    Cauda Equina Syndrome

Susan, I have a tightness in my sacrum. Yes feels like a board is attached to me in my lower spine. I thought this was a normal feeling due to being fused and the instrumentation is along that area on me. I am still having significant pain down my left leg, butt and I guess si joint. Not sure anyone really knows if it is the si joint or a screw. I am going for radio frequency ablation to hopefully decrease some of the pain this week.

Susan, I have a tightness in my sacrum. Yes feels like a board is attached to me in my lower spine. I thought this was a normal feeling due to being fused and the instrumentation is along that area on me. I am still having significant pain down my left leg, butt and I guess si joint. Not sure anyone really knows if it is the si joint or a screw. I am going for radio frequency ablation to hopefully decrease some of the pain this week.
    I hope that you find some pain relief. I am ready to start to feel a whole lot better than I do now! How about you? Let me know how it goes, I wish you the best!
    Susan

I have been reviewing the medical literature and most studies show that up to 34% of patients with iliac screws have them removed....yet nobody on this forum seems to have had screw removal. I don't get it.
    Last edited by susancook; 06-01-2014 at 07:11 AM.
    3/2013, Dr. Hu @ UCSF
    Cauda Equina Syndrome

pelvic screw removal

Hi Susan and Dixie,

I agree there is very little info about iliac screw removal here. There are a few old threads with some mention of it, but none of those people are still active on the forum.

I also had pain in the left SI/pelvic screw area after my first surgery. I would have considered screw removal after the 2 year mark, if I hadn't had the broken rods. My iliac screw had haloing around it and my radiologist friend told me it probably wasn't really holding on to anything.

When I broke my rods and was going in for a huge revision surgery, I asked my surgeon if he could take the iliac screw out, which he agreed to. He saved it for me as a keepsake. It is huge!!

Now that it's gone I do have some trouble on and off with the left SI joint, which I know is arthritic. Deep tissue massage seems to help a lot, more than anything else I have tried. Dr Hart mentioned he could do a formal fusion of that joint if I wanted, but it would have to hurt a whole lot worse all of the time for me to consider that. I have considered an SI joint injection but have not asked about it yet.

Have either of you asked your surgeon for names of patients who have had iliac screw removal? Maybe they could refer you to people you could talk to who have had it done.
    Last edited by leahdragonfly; 06-01-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    Gayle, age 47
    Boston brace as a teen for AIS
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation, TLIF at L4/5.
    Feb 2012 major A/P revision for broken rods

mom of Leah, 12 y/o, diagnosed Jan '08 with 26* thoracic JIS (age 6)
    4/08 26 degrees, brace 16 hrs/day
    9/08 17 deg. OOB - brace discontinued
    9/09 30 deg, resuming brace
    5/10 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    5/14 stable 4 yrs post-op, 14* T

also mom of Torrey, 9 y/o son, 12* T, decreasing spontaneously (from 19*)

My surgeon mentioned it is very common to have that screw removed. I go back for my one year post op in September. I will ask more about it then. I am hoping for good results this week. I will keep you posted.