No announcement yet.

Food for thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably because I have not a serious background in Chemistry, Biology, physiology.. it seems to me that some things as Paleolithic diet theory is a matter of a large and probably not ending discussion. Some facts against it, others in favor..
    Anyway, I have read this food degradation began after 2° world war, when costs began to be something very much important. Oils began to be processed with hot getting (as I have read) something adverse. And now we are living in a kind of world not comparable with any other human civilization.
    Genetics manipulations, contaminations, drugs, poisons, chemicals, any kind strange procedures to reduce costs.. never before was seen something similar.
    There are not discussion about the negative side of many things, as (as I know) mercury in fishes, but how many others continues without an ‘official verdict’? Who knows if current knowledge is enough to evaluate all these news changes. In other times doctors recommended to smoke, the fibber was getting out form foods (as continue happens) because they believe it haven’t any benefit.
    And if we consider not only food but pollution, radiations.. I remember when I was a boy, cancer was something extremely unusual.. It seems really very reasonable to believe that nobody will die any more of old age. At least not those haven’t an extraordinary genetics or the conscious/intelligence/knowledge/ and possibilities to live a real health life style.. food is not the only issue.
    Last edited by flerc; 01-24-2014, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
      Probably because I have not a serious background in Chemistry, Biology, physiology..
      Of course if I would have it, even if I would be a Novel Prize, anyway I could not be sure about many worrying things I read and hear and see.. even about simply something as milk.
      Medical issues are not as Maths issues, where every assertion has only 3 only kind of reply: true, false or unknow yet.. there are not discussions realy about what kind of reply is right for every posibly assertion.

So I have not any other way, although I always try to find some serious article in favour about what I ‘feel’ as this http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0...930-6/fulltext I know I must to not only be limited about what some scientists are suggesting or not yet, but also to use my own brain, instinct. intution, experience.. to decide what could be true or not (or more or least). Since years ago I decided that homogeneized and also skim dairy products must to be avoided, also not organic eggs, chickens, fried food (except with coconut oil), processed food.. but I cannot force my daughter to eat only what I think is good.. or not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
        Nowadays, both things (hot dogs and soda) will kill you apparently.
        I have not been to Nicks but Nathans many years ago....don’t remember if I had a root beer...

If this guy can consume 110 of them in 10 minutes and is still alive, I guess hot dogs cant be too bad. LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeru_Kobayashi

I reduced soda consumption 99% after passing my kidney stone. Dairy also needs “moderation” without having my gallbladder.

On the milk topic, there seems to be pros and cons across the board with some studies....which is complex. 3 glasses per day for me seems like a lot as its hard to digest.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

When I was in college I took a class called "Vertebrate Form and Function". We studied EVERYTHING like we were in veterinary school. We were told that the ONLY mammal that didn't eventually decrease production of or lose the lactase enzyme altogether (needed for milk digestion) was the CAT. As humans age, we lose the ability to produce that enzyme. Although, I've heard of some pretty old folks that could still drink milk. Sometimes I can eat dairy and not have it bother me. MOST of the time I get really sick with horrible intestinal cramping. I also have my gallbladder out. It seems I needed that little bugger more than I thought. I've pretty much been sick with my gut ever since... and it's been YEARS ago. I think there are other components of milk that make me sick. I still eat ice cream (and get sick). I just can't seem to give the stuff up. Lactaid doesn't always stop the cramping.
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

I didn't know that about cats. very much significant really..
            As I know, dairy products as yoghurt, because fermentation process, has very much less lactase than milk and some ice creams are done with yoghurt. Also I have read about a process to get milk without lactase.
            But I have heard exactly the same problem and even worst about casein and there is not any kind of dairy products without it. I'm trying to see how much serious are the source of that information.

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
              I didn't know that about cats. very much significant really..
              As I know, dairy products as yoghurt, because fermentation process, has very much less lactase than milk and some ice creams are done with yoghurt. Also I have read about a process to get milk without lactase.
              But I have heard exactly the same problem and even worst about casein and there is not any kind of dairy products without it. I'm trying to see how much serious are the source of that information.
              I'm wondering if it's the casein, too. I've thought about it a lot when I'm taking triple doses of Lactaid (lactase enzyme brand name) and still getting sick. Cheeses don't bother me as much, though. I must say that when I eat cheese, I eat far less of it than other milk products. I get sick from lasagna and am not sure if it's the tomatoes or the cheese or both. I have trouble with spaghetti that has no cheese. That's why I wonder about the tomatoes. Yogurt is okay sometimes and sometimes not. Maybe my body is randomly putting out lactase? There are so many things that it could be that it's hard to sort out. I try to avoid foods that make me sick, but I get randomly sick from "harmless" foods, too, such as rice. It could be the MD. I read that it can affect smooth muscle and cause digestive difficulties and cramping. It could also be the lack of a gallbladder. Just throw it all into a sack and shake it up to pick a diagnosis...sigh
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

It seems that homogenization process lead the xantina oxidasa (XO) enzyme to be difficult to digest and I have read that Robert Cohen, the executive director of the Dairy Education Board, said that XO molecules not digested may provokes hard arteries and cardiac problems.. it seems that current food processes will kill all of us.. not in the same instant of course.

Comment

Working...
                X