Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: almost 2 years post op...both rods are broken

I am so sorry this happened and wish you good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Good luck to you Spring. I hope all goes well and you feel better real soon! Jackie

Good Luck!

Hi Spring,
    Remember when I was at Dr. Lenke's , and Karen was there too? We met briefly. I saw your post and feel so terribly bad for you, as I went through the same thing. But it was last May I had revision and I am doing fine.(eight mo. Out) I thought the surgery was like the first , except I knew what to expect.. But as with any surgery ,the first few days are the toughest. I don't know how they're doing your surgery. Dr. Lenke completely removed all my hardware , and put all new in, and added more reinforcement. You will do just fine. I know it's hard to start over, but you may feel better than ever. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Sending you warm thoughts, Linda
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Am awaiting surgery with Dr. Lenke(Oct. 29th,2012) at Washington University in St. Louis, Mo. He will fix my saggital imbalance.

hello Linda,

Yes I do remember meeting you, so glad you are doing well now. I was scheduled for surgery in the morning.... but at 7:30 this evening I received some bad news, my surgeon is stuck in Colorado and can't make it back in time so we will have to reschedule...ugh. I am at a point where I NEED this done now, aside from the pain, walking has become increasingly difficult. Thank you for your kind words, I will post again when I find out new surgery date.
    Spring
    42 yrs old
    Milwaukee braced 1983 to 1989
    was told my curves would never progress
    at 19yrs old 1991, T30-L38
    2010, T38-L56--progression in one year 2011, T40-L67
    new diagnosis-kyphoscoliosis, DDD, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, 73 degree Kyphosis
    Surgery 1-09-12....10 hrs all posterior T4-sacrum & 2 cages
    Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.
    Surgery to clean out infection 2-10-12
    Revision for broken rods 1-23-14

Quote Originally Posted by Spring72 View Post
    hello Linda,

Yes I do remember meeting you, so glad you are doing well now. I was scheduled for surgery in the morning.... but at 7:30 this evening I received some bad news, my surgeon is stuck in Colorado and can't make it back in time so we will have to reschedule...ugh. I am at a point where I NEED this done now, aside from the pain, walking has become increasingly difficult. Thank you for your kind words, I will post again when I find out new surgery date.
    Spring, I'm sorry to hear of the delay, as it's so hard to wait when the pain is so bad. I feel for you completley! Walking became an issue with me too, before Lenke did my revision last May. Oh, I fee for you Spring!
    I pray your surgeon gets home soon, and gets you fixed as soon as possible! Sincerely, Linda
    Am awaiting surgery with Dr. Lenke(Oct. 29th,2012) at Washington University in St. Louis, Mo. He will fix my saggital imbalance.

Hi Spring,

This is terrible news--and it also happened to me. My broken rods revision was bumped by 5 days or so for an emergent case. I was crushed to say the least. I just wanted to get out of pain and onto the road to recovery. I know you do, too.

Hang in there, I am sure they will get you scheduled very soon.

Take care,

Gayle
    Gayle, age 47
    Boston brace as a teen for AIS
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation, TLIF at L4/5.
    Feb 2012 major A/P revision for broken rods

mom of Leah, 12 y/o, diagnosed Jan '08 with 26* thoracic JIS (age 6)
    4/08 26 degrees, brace 16 hrs/day
    9/08 17 deg. OOB - brace discontinued
    9/09 30 deg, resuming brace
    5/10 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    5/14 stable 4 yrs post-op, 14* T

also mom of Torrey, 9 y/o son, 12* T, decreasing spontaneously (from 19*)

Spring,
    Oh, no! I can't imagine how upsetting this rescheduling has to be for you, especially since you are in pain. I hope your surgery can be rescheduled soon. You and Gayle keep having so many similarities so I'm sure you will follow in Gayle's footsteps and feel so much better when you have the surgery and this pain behind you.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 63
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Thank you ladies, my new surgery date is scheduled for this Thursday at 10:30am.....so glad I don't have too much longer to wait! A mistake was made with the way my oxycontin script was written and so the pharmacy would not fill it, looks I will just have to suffer a little more, at least I still have hydrocodone. It has been over a month now that both of my rods have been broken, I'm really hunched forward now and cannot force myself to stand up straight at all, it is becoming increasingly harder and more painful to walk. Gayle, did that happen to you as well?? I'm becoming concerned that something else is going on now.
    Spring
    42 yrs old
    Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.

So sorry!

Spring, I couldn't stand up either before either surgery. I was so pitched forward that the pain was almost unbearable. So I feel your pain. And it's no time to rant, but I can't believe you aren't getting better pain control. Mistake or not, how can they think of doing that to you! I guess I can feel those rods piercing your body and the pain that goes with it. So it's hard for me not to say anything. One more day girl! Can you take ibuprofen with the hydrocodone, as a break through med?you poor girl~~ I just thought the Ibuprofen might take some of the swelling down.( anti inflammatory) I will be praying for you. You will come out the other side better than ever! Gentle Hugs! Linda

"Can you take ibuprofen with the hydrocodone, as a break through med?you poor girl~~ I just thought the Ibuprofen might take some of the swelling down.( anti inflammatory) I will be praying for you. "

I was told a couple weeks ago that I can't take any ibuprofen before the upcoming surgery. Okay maybe I will stop worring about becoming hunched over and the walking then, if it also happened to you. Thank you for your empathy Linda.
    Spring
    42 yrs old
    Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.

Hi Spring,

I am glad Linda replied to you above…I remember her situation being similar to yours. I didn't have the same problem standing up straight, but I also didn't have to wait so long after both rods were broken to get them fixed. I did have increasingly severe pain and extreme muscle spasms as I waited for surgery. I was also told no ibuprofen for 10 days prior to surgery. I am so sorry you're having such a rough time.

Thursday will be here before you know it. We'll all be thinking good thoughts for you. Don't forget to stock up on some laxatives for after surgery!
    Gayle, age 47
    Boston brace as a teen for AIS
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation, TLIF at L4/5.
    Feb 2012 major A/P revision for broken rods

mom of Leah, 12 y/o, diagnosed Jan '08 with 26* thoracic JIS (age 6)
    4/08 26 degrees, brace 16 hrs/day
    9/08 17 deg. OOB - brace discontinued
    9/09 30 deg, resuming brace
    5/10 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    5/14 stable 4 yrs post-op, 14* T

also mom of Torrey, 9 y/o son, 12* T, decreasing spontaneously (from 19*)

Quote Originally Posted by Spring72 View Post
    "Can you take ibuprofen with the hydrocodone, as a break through med?you poor girl~~ I just thought the Ibuprofen might take some of the swelling down.( anti inflammatory) I will be praying for you. "

I was told a couple weeks ago that I can't take any ibuprofen before the upcoming surgery. Okay maybe I will stop worring about becoming hunched over and the walking then, if it also happened to you. Thank you for your empathy Linda.
    Spring, I remember now about NOT taking Ibufrofen before surgery. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Remember, it's surgery, so be strong those first few days, and ask for pain control if you need more. That's their job to keep you comfortable so you can start to heal. When you're feeling good enough , let us know how you are. Thoughts and Prayers!! Linda

You will be in our thoughts and prayers for a very quick recovery !

Sending you pain free thoughts and wishes for a rapid recovery! So sorry about the problem with your pain prescription. Too bad that the pharmacist could not clear it up with your doctor.

I will be looking for you're postop posting and news that you are on the road to recovery!

Hugs, Susan
    2011: Degenerative Adult Onset Scoliosis @65
    25* T levoscoliosis/ 36* L dexroscoliosis w/ 11.2 cm coronal & 3.5 cm sagittal balance T kyphosis 90*
    Severe disc degen thoracic & lumbar stenosis
    Surgery: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    3/2013, Dr. Hu @ UCSF
    Postop hernia @ ALIF incision repaired 2014
    8/2014: Rev surgery OHSU Dr. Hiratzka hardware removal T3-T5; reinstrument & revision fusion T3-T6
    Proximal Junctional Failure w/ SCI
    Cauda Equina Syndrome

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Sending positive thoughts your way. Good luck!
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF