Injections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by susancook View Post
    Bluestone (is that really your first name?), I am in favor of almost any treatment short of spine surgery if it can solve your pain. My heart goes out to you.

Although I am not the Queen of injections, I have had numerous corticosteroid/lidocaine injections both before and after surgery. All of them had some positive effect, some better than others. Since surgery, I have had SI joint injections and cervical injections. One point to remember, the lidocaine provides some temporary numbing just with the procedure....but then again, it certainly did not result in a pain free procedure. The corticosteroid takes a while to kick in, longer than I thought that it would. So, don't get disappointed if you don't get relief quickly. I was pleased, call it surprised that the SI joint injection provided relief after surgery for my Left buttocks pain.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you find something that helps, even temporarily.
    Susan

Thank you.
    I have spoken to a patient of my surgeon who had injections-for diagnostic reasons and she said she was sedated. Would it be better to be sedated because your muscles would be more relaxed for the shots?
    I don't have a problem with needles.

By the way my name is Sarah
    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

Originally posted by bluestone View Post
      Thank you.
      I have spoken to a patient of my surgeon who had injections-for diagnostic reasons and she said she was sedated. Would it be better to be sedated because your muscles would be more relaxed for the shots?
      I don't have a problem with needles.

By the way my name is Sarah
      Sarah: I have had injections both ways, sedated and not. The procedure is somewhat uncomfortable although they do use very small needles, so the part where the needle enters the skin is not uncomfortable. They do the procedure under fluoroscopy so they can make sure that they are on the right spot. Sometimes they are not, so they need to hunt a little. I always ask to watch if my neck can turn in that direction to see a little screen that they have for patients to watch. I always want to know exactly what they are doing and how they are doing it, so I always ask Dr. Chen to tell me what is happening. The procedure itself does not take very long, depending on he number of sites being entered. It does take a while to get you positioned, get the fluoroscopy machine focused on the area, clean off your back with Betadine or something, put the drapes on, then they usually study your back to make sure that they are in the right area, etc. They play music of choice at OHSU which helps. You could bring earphones and your own music.

During the procedure or any procedure I do relaxation breathing and put myself in another zone. I had natural childbirth, so in general except for denervations, I do not have sedation. So, it is your choice. I wouldn't slight anybody who wants sedation and on a day that I have a migraine which happened once ;+{, they gave me lots of analgesics which helped my headache a lot.

Let us know how you do and if it helps. Like I said above, I was initially disappointed in the relief from my SI injection as I wanted more immediate relief. Then after 2 weeks, I noted that my back on the L was much better! Hoping that you also get some relief!
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
        Sarah: I have had injections both ways, sedated and not. The procedure is somewhat uncomfortable although they do use very small needles, so the part where the needle enters the skin is not uncomfortable. They do the procedure under fluoroscopy so they can make sure that they are on the right spot. Sometimes they are not, so they need to hunt a little. I always ask to watch if my neck can turn in that direction to see a little screen that they have for patients to watch. I always want to know exactly what they are doing and how they are doing it, so I always ask Dr. Chen to tell me what is happening. The procedure itself does not take very long, depending on he number of sites being entered. It does take a while to get you positioned, get the fluoroscopy machine focused on the area, clean off your back with Betadine or something, put the drapes on, then they usually study your back to make sure that they are in the right area, etc. They play music of choice at OHSU which helps. You could bring earphones and your own music.

During the procedure or any procedure I do relaxation breathing and put myself in another zone. I had natural childbirth, so in general except for denervations, I do not have sedation. So, it is your choice. I wouldn't slight anybody who wants sedation and on a day that I have a migraine which happened once ;+{, they gave me lots of analgesics which helped my headache a lot.

Let us know how you do and if it helps. Like I said above, I was initially disappointed in the relief from my SI injection as I wanted more immediate relief. Then after 2 weeks, I noted that my back on the L was much better! Hoping that you also get some relief!
        Susan
        I also had natural childbirth with my second daughter-the pain after my surgery was worse than that when I was in hospital! I also had an apasectimy without sedation-I wasn't even offered it and it was like being 'butchered' in my mouth, just awful but I coped very well. Re the injections I will take it as it comes, I'm not sure NHS will offer the things that you get offered when having it done on health insurance though.

I will let you know how it goes........when I get a date through.

Comment

If you are unsure about needing medications with the procedure, tell the nurse about it. The medication is given via IV, so they could insert the IV, but not give sedating or analgesic medication unless you feel that you need it. That will probably be the best way to go since you will be covered either way.

They will use lidocaine before they give the corticosteroid which does numb the area somewhat locally. I hope that everything goes well for you as well as well as your pain decreases. Best of luck and please let me know how the procedure goes as well as how much it helps your pain.
          Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

i do not think any doctor offered me any kind of sedation
            for all the injections i've had...and i've had LOTS....
            no surgery...but lots and lots of shots...

jess

Comment

Hi Jess, glad to hear you're still doing well with your injections. It's that cold and painful time of year when I start googling about surgery, and of course I landed here. I will maybe try an injection- I've never had one. --Christina
              34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
              Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

hi Christina
                i had to give up injections about 2 years ago...when i got overdosed
                with steroids by one doctor in CT and it caused my cortisol level
                to crash...feels like mono....exhaustion...i was lucky, and 6 months
                later the level came back...
                this will be my first shot in all that time...out of desperation...
                because i cannot take any NSAIDS anymore...
                i had another allergic reaction to another NSAID....third one i
                reacted to...i didn't realize how much pain relief i was getting from the last one i was on...Diclofenac...the one i had allergic reaction to...
                but wow...the pain came crashing in after i could no longer take
                an NSAID....the bursitis in left hip is burning pain....
                so i will be getting a shot in hip this Friday, Jan 24th...hope it helps

jess...and Sparky

Comment

I have an injection question---the surgeon recommended an epidural at the C-7 T-1 level. The problem I had was insurance denial from the doctor's group. So I am working on a different location and their reaction is a lot of pain management doctors will not inject at that level.

Has anyone else had an injection at tha level? C7-t1.

Good luck Jess, I hope it all goes well!
                  Jackie
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                  To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                  Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                  Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                  Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                  Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by dailystrength View Post
                    Hi Jess, glad to hear you're still doing well with your injections. It's that cold and painful time of year when I start googling about surgery, and of course I landed here. I will maybe try an injection- I've never had one. --Christina
                    Christina,
                    It's REALLY nice to see you here again and I really like your signature!

At first the injections worked really well for me. Now they don't help as much but are still worth getting. They keep me walking. When I first got them I was able to go pretty much off of all narcotics for awhile. They were 'as needed' and a much lower dose than I take now. Now, if I didn't have my pain meds, the shots probably wouldn't give me what I consider satisfactory relief. But, coupled with the pain meds they do keep my lower back pain at bay quite well. I am FULLY aware when the pain meds and when the shots wear off, though. Yes, the cold weather is rough but I hurt all year 'round.

I'd say it's worth a try for you. Your curves are within the "range of error" of mine. For me, it's a better option than surgery if it continues to help. They talked about replacing my L5/S1 disc a couple of times now. I'm not going to do that for fear that it may destabilize the rest of my spine. I was told about a couple of options, 1) a prosthetic disc which would still give me range of motion and 2) a fusion.

For those of you who are afraid of the injection and talking about sedation:

The pain of the injections themselves is not nearly bad enough to require strong sedation. Some of those IV's they give you hurt worse than the injection itself. It's mostly anxiety for people who fear the injections. I would ask for an anxiolytic or a mild sedative if you are nervous, just to calm you down. General anesthesia would be out of the question for a procedure that literally only takes 10 minutes or less.
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
                      I have an injection question---the surgeon recommended an epidural at the C-7 T-1 level. The problem I had was insurance denial from the doctor's group. So I am working on a different location and their reaction is a lot of pain management doctors will not inject at that level.

Has anyone else had an injection at tha level? C7-t1.

Good luck Jess, I hope it all goes well!
                      Jackie
                      Jackie,
                      I haven't had an injection there. When I was a teenager they thought I had a cyst or a tumor at that level where the nerve root comes out. They described it as C7/C8. I know most people don't have a C8, including me. That's just how they phrased it in my paperwork. It wasn't an insurance question, either, since I was getting free assistance at the time.
                      Be happy!
                      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

I've had my appt come through already for my injections, typical when my pain isn't as severe as it was a couple of weeks ago, its just pressure which I can't see injections getting rid of.

The letter says I have to be admitted on the ward at 7.00 am which means we would have to start our journey at 5.30 am-I feel ill when I have to be up so early, and I can't eat after 2.30 am which must mean they presume I want sedation? There's no information whatsoever and at the moment I'm thinking of postponing. I didn't expect to have to be admitted onto a ward, I hate hospitals and don't really want to do this now.

Comment

wow....i wonder if all that is because you had the surgery...???
                          i never went thru all that just to get an injection...

thanks for the good wishes, Jackie.

even when i got first epidural at hospital in Manhattan...
                          i did NOT have to go in early the way one does for out patient
                          surgery....i just went in at noon....they put an IV in but
                          i got no sedation....the IV was in case of emergency...that never
                          happened...
                          most other shots i got in doctor offices....even the next two
                          epidural shots i tried...

if you do not feel ready for the injection, can you postpone it
                          and reschedule for a month from now...??
                          also...is there any doctor who would offer you the injection in the office...???

jess....and Sparky
                          Last edited by jrnyc; 01-23-2014, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Unsure if this answers your questions, but whenever I have an injection, denervation, etc from OHSU, they always want me not to eat and drink for 8 hours and come early. The no eating and drinking seems to be their paranoia about having one of those very rare problems that requires resuscitation or intervention. Coming in early is to fill out their forms ("on a scale of 1 to 10....") and the nurses getting you ready for the procedures like partially undressed, forms signed, resident/fellow talks with you....
                            Seems to be over the top on precautions!

Any why is it that you (me) are always in mild discomfort when we go for a procedure where the night before, pain is at an "8-9"?

Susan

Comment

Working...
                            X