Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martha Hawes - response (sorry for second thread, some problem in database)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martha Hawes - response (sorry for second thread, some problem in database)

[Linda - sorry for the second thread. There's some problem in the database, I think - the thread I'm responding to will suddenly disappear, or it will reappear without my post. After the third try, I just decided to respond in a separate thread. Please feel free to move this response over where it belongs and apologies again for the double thread]

Originally posted by Pooka1
    and will publish again in 2016.
    Martha Hawes is a professor in agricultural science with a long list of publications in, not surprisingly, agricultural science.

She is not a medical professional - she is a patient with scoliosis who has published her (remarkable) reduction in severity of a curve in an adult. Because she is not a professional in the field, she is under no professional pressure to publish continued research in this area. There is also no scientific urgency for such updates - both because the major contribution of her case to science is *that* an adult can reduce the severity of their curve and hold that reduction over time, and because she is (I believe) now old enough that any future progression of her curve will tell us more about degenerative scoliosis then it tells us about adolescent idiopathic scoliosis.

Which is all to say that I'm not looking for any further updates.

If anyone is interested in her case, she has written a book (here - http://www.amazon.com/Scoliosis-Huma.../dp/0971954607) and has also published her case study (here -http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/content/4/1/27). I will add that any reduction in an adult curve is very, very rare. The important information from Martha's case is that it's possible at all - it will take a long time to figure out how and why it's possible.

Originally posted by hdugger View Post
    [Linda - sorry for the second thread. There's some problem in the database, I think - the thread I'm responding to will suddenly disappear, or it will reappear without my post. After the third try, I just decided to respond in a separate thread. Please feel free to move this response over where it belongs and apologies again for the double thread].
    Sorry, quick clarification if it's any help in tracking down the problem. I'm not having problems posting on any other thread - just the one about Martha Hawes. One thing I noticed while I was (repeatedly) trying to post is that the time stamp and position of the thread would change. So, it would appear further down the list with an earlier timestamp, and then it and my response would disappear, and then it would reappear with a later timestamp but without my response. This all happened around 8 AM my time (11 AM EST). One timestamp for the thread was at 11:15 (EST), then it disappeared and reappeared with an 11:19 timestamp. Feel free to delete this post once you've read it - I just wanted to clarify for any technical staff who might look into the issue.

Comment

Working...
    X