Thread: Very Strange Heel pain upon waking

Very Strange Heel pain upon waking

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Ever since my September surgery I have heel pain when I get out of bed in the morning. I wonder if your heel is associated with any of the levels of the spine where I had my surgery. Drop me a line if anyone else has heard of this. Thanks!

Hi,

could it be plantar fasciitis? The hallmark of that is a stabbing heel pain that is especially bad with the first few steps out of bed. In the early stages it improves once you are up and walking around.

I hope for your sake that is not it! I have suffered from chronic plantar fasciitis for the last 6+ years and it is very unpleasant.
    Gayle, age 47
    Boston brace as a teen for AIS
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation, TLIF at L4/5.
    Feb 2012 major A/P revision for broken rods

mom of Leah, 12 y/o, diagnosed Jan '08 with 26* thoracic JIS (age 6)
    4/08 26 degrees, brace 16 hrs/day
    9/08 17 deg. OOB - brace discontinued
    9/09 30 deg, resuming brace
    5/10 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    5/14 stable 4 yrs post-op, 14* T

also mom of Torrey, 9 y/o son, 12* T, decreasing spontaneously (from 19*)

Thanks, I just read about plantar fasciitis. It says you have a stabbing pain in your heel with your first step. Mine is more of a feeling like someone took a hammer to the back of my heel (bruised) type pain. But it does go away with movement. I guess I will just wait and see if it gets any better. I was told during a bone scan I have arthritis in my torsal bones in my feet. Maybe I have it in my heels too now.

Thanks!

It could also be a heel spur causing the pain like that at the back of the heel. The best way to diagnose this is go see a podiatrist and he will either do a set of lateral X-rays to compare the heels or ultrasound to look inside the heel itself. Try doing ankle pumps prior to getting out of bed and see if it helps to ease it.

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Thanks.....it's just so odd that it started right after my most recent spine surgery. Maybe since I only have hardware in my lumbar, sacrum and pelvis I am putting some sort of different pressure on my feet.

Believe me when I say I understand feet feeling different after surgery, mine were on fire and once that was that went down my great toe joint still hurts pretty bad. I went and saw my boss (who is a podiatrist) and he did X-rays which showed swelling. He believes it's from how my foot was placed for 11.5 hours and since I'm 6 weeks out that he was going to give it a few more weeks before injecting it to reduce swelling.

Weird things happen to our bodies, but when it comes to heel spurs and plantar fasciitis it hits like a train you never saw coming. No explanation. How far out of surgery are you? It could be a bone bruise from transferring you. Maybe it got hit hard, but walking wrong would hurt the back of the heel only the bottom of it.

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Unhappy

I am 4 months out from surgery. It is the back of both heels that hurts when I wake up. I went to pain mgmt today and the doctor thinks its tendonitis. She said the bottom of my heel would hurt if it was the other thing you mentioned.

Still hurts!!!http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/images/icons/icon9.png

My heel pain is becoming worse every day. I read this could be a symptom of sciatic nerve pain. Has anyone else had this symptom? It's not just when I wake up anymore......its all day long now.

If it's the bottom of the foot, at the heel, it can be S1. If it's not the bottom of the foot, it seems to me that it's a lot less likely to be a problem with your spine. If you look at a dermatome diagram (HERE), you can see that the back of the foot that isn't the bottom, doesn't correlate to any of the vertebrae.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    If it's the bottom of the foot, at the heel, it can be S1. If it's not the bottom of the foot, it seems to me that it's a lot less likely to be a problem with your spine. If you look at a dermatome diagram (HERE), you can see that the back of the foot that isn't the bottom, doesn't correlate to any of the vertebrae.
    Thanks for the chart Linda. It is on the bottom, but toward the back of both heels. I have left sided groin pain and pain in my upper left thigh that runs around to my groin. I also have pain when walking in my butt and down the back of my left thigh. The heel pain is the newest issue. It is terrible pain and worse in the morning. It remains through out the day. I am going to send my doctor an email tonight and see what he thinks. I'll let you know. Thanks again!!

I have had bizarre foot pains since my surgery. In the first month or so, I felt like long needles were stabbing me through the heels. It only happened when I was laying down flat on my back. It faded after I started taking the Gabapentin, but now that I am off the Gaba it comes back intermittently when I'm lying in bed, although not as strong as it was. And my heels feel bruised because I still do spend a lot of time lying in bed on my back. What I am also now suffering from is stabbing pains in that bone next to my big toes (the one that sticks out, like where bunions would be if you have bunions.) I'm not sure if the pains in my toes is from nerve pain, or if all the miles and miles of walking I have done has caused some sort of injury. Since I am still walking a little funny, I think I put way more weight on my toes than on my heels because I have trouble getting my heels up under me still. But the pain is usually way worse when I am laying down or sitting than when I'm walking, so I'm still thinking it's nerve pain. Or maybe a combo of nerve pain or something else. Anyways, it's painful. And yes, I think somehow our feet really take a beating from this surgery! But as my PT says, I've prioritized the pain and it's pretty low on my totem pole right now.
    Surgery June 18 by Dr. Errico at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases at age 41.
    Fused T10-Pelvis.
    "Ask me about my brand new lordosis!"

Quote Originally Posted by the_baroness View Post
    I have had bizarre foot pains since my surgery. In the first month or so, I felt like long needles were stabbing me through the heels. It only happened when I was laying down flat on my back. It faded after I started taking the Gabapentin, but now that I am off the Gaba it comes back intermittently when I'm lying in bed, although not as strong as it was. And my heels feel bruised because I still do spend a lot of time lying in bed on my back. What I am also now suffering from is stabbing pains in that bone next to my big toes (the one that sticks out, like where bunions would be if you have bunions.) I'm not sure if the pains in my toes is from nerve pain, or if all the miles and miles of walking I have done has caused some sort of injury. Since I am still walking a little funny, I think I put way more weight on my toes than on my heels because I have trouble getting my heels up under me still. But the pain is usually way worse when I am laying down or sitting than when I'm walking, so I'm still thinking it's nerve pain. Or maybe a combo of nerve pain or something else. Anyways, it's painful. And yes, I think somehow our feet really take a beating from this surgery! But as my PT says, I've prioritized the pain and it's pretty low on my totem pole right now.
    I also have light needles feeling in my right toe when I am lying in bed on my back. I don't have it when I walk or sit. I had this problem since the surgery, but it way worse in the early days. It was very painful, but it greatly improved. I would say it's a little annoyance now.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

I basically do nothing athletic. I am still recovering from my Sept 4th surgery. My pain management doctor suggested my symptoms indicate achilles tendinitis. I emailed my spine surgeon to see if this could be spine related and told him the thoughts of pain management. He suggested an ultrasound. Just can't imagine how I could possibly have achilles tendonitis if I am not athletic. The extent of my exercise is a morning walk.

I have a pain appointment next week and surgeon appt the first week in March. Hopefully they can figure this out. It is VERY painful. Still have many other issues that I had before surgery, but the heel symptom is new.

Will keep you posted!