No announcement yet.

questions on fusing to the sacrum or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The question is "should I be fused to the pelvis"?

The first answer is: what does your surgeon recommend?

If he/she recommends fusion to the pelvis then
    A) how much pain do you have and you have decided that pelvic fixation is not for you...and your pain level is
    1) "not too much" then do nothing about having surgery

But if your pain level is:

B) "A LOT of pain"
    1) find another surgeon that will do whAt you want and not do a pelvic fixation.

My trade: pelvic fixation so that I could be pretty much pain free with very minor if at all limitations.

Susan
    Last edited by susancook; 08-01-2014, 01:44 AM. Reason: Revised because orig was types on cell phone and difficult to read
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by gerene View Post
      I am 4 months post op from t-10 to pelvis fusion and cannot cut my own toenails. Will my flexibility improve as time goes by.
      Hi... I think most people with T10-pelvis fusions are eventually able to cut their toenails. Unlike Golfnut, I am unable to cut my toenails with a T4-pelvis PSIF. BTW, I personally think that trying to cut your toenails at 4 months postop might be pushing it a bit. While many doctors remove most restrictions at 3 months postop, I think things that really pull on the fusion should probably wait until 6-12 months postop. I noticed improvement in my flexibility all the way until I was about 2 years postop.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Cutting toenails?

Cutting toenails? I personally would not recommend that anyone try this until 1 year post surgery. Gayle made an interesting comment that she thought that her back bends a little now. Well, I am glad that she said that because at about 14months, I tried AGAIN to cut my nails, was amazed that I could, and then noticed that my back does bend without any pain....ever so slightly. Not much, just a little bit....enough to cut my toenails. When I had previously tried to stretch and cut my nail, it did hurt. Then, at about 14 months, no pain.

Yes, occasionally in the first 12 months, I did forget that I should not bend, and when I tried even a little I did experience immediate slight pain.

Like everything else in scoliosis, so much is individual. There are probably things that Linda can do that I cannot do.

Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I think the cutting of the toenails really depends on the flexibility of ones leg muscles. I am almost 9 months post-op and have been able to bring my feet up to trim my nails. I have not had a problem putting socks and shoes of from the get go but being younger than some might add to the ability to manipulate my legs to do what I need.

As far as to fuse or not to fuse to the sacrum for me was the possibility of having to revise later down the road to add just the little bit. I did not want to risk a third surgery and so far do not regret my decision to just do it all.

Tamena
          Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

cutting toenails: T8-sacrum

I am fused T8-scarum, and at 4 months I thought for sure I would never be able to cut my toenails. I even posted that very question at some point during the first year.

I gained a lot of flexibility between 1-2 years, and even after the 2 year mark, as Susan mentions above. At the 2 year appt I was released from restrictions (mine were very long due to a complex revision following broken rods), and I think I finally let go of a whole lot of fear and anxiety about breaking my rods a second time. This stuff preys on your mind over time. After the 2 year mark I started cautiously trying more movements and was really happy to find I had a lot more mobility than I had thought. I can now cut my toes nails, shave my legs, etc.

I agree with the others to take it easy on these sorts of activities until after about the 6 month mark or so, or at least until your doctor lifts the no bending/twisting/lifting restrictions. I can't recommend the broken rod revision as a fun activity…

Take care,
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Working...
            X