Thread: Pregnancy and epidurals

Pregnancy and epidurals

Hi - I've been absent from this forum for about 5 yrs but always found a lot of help here, glad to be back!

I wasn't sure where to post this question but my husband and I are expecting our first child in July '14 and I'm wondering if anyone with a spinal fusion has had any trouble with back pain during pregnancy or giving birth? My surgeon said I should be fine.

Also wondering if it's possible to get an epidural or if anyone has had complications with that. I'm currently considering a home birth as well in which case I would most likely not go to the hospital. But wanted to ask since I haven't completely made up my mind.

I am 7, almost 8 yrs post-op. I had a revision surgery in 2007 that went well and only have pain after over exertion or sitting for long periods of time. This pain is manageable and a massage always gets me back to normal. So compared to the pain after my first surgery (2000 - fusion didn't heal, rods broke) I consider the 2nd surgery to be a complete success. I am 32 yrs old.

Thanks in advance!
    { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29.
    One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39.
    March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Quote Originally Posted by SARAHK View Post
    Hi - I've been absent from this forum for about 5 yrs but always found a lot of help here, glad to be back!

I wasn't sure where to post this question but my husband and I are expecting our first child in July '14 and I'm wondering if anyone with a spinal fusion has had any trouble with back pain during pregnancy or giving birth? My surgeon said I should be fine.

Also wondering if it's possible to get an epidural or if anyone has had complications with that. I'm currently considering a home birth as well in which case I would most likely not go to the hospital. But wanted to ask since I haven't completely made up my mind.

I am 7, almost 8 yrs post-op. I had a revision surgery in 2007 that went well and only have pain after over exertion or sitting for long periods of time. This pain is manageable and a massage always gets me back to normal. So compared to the pain after my first surgery (2000 - fusion didn't heal, rods broke) I consider the 2nd surgery to be a complete success. I am 32 yrs old.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Sarah...

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Since you're only fused to L2, you should be able to get an epidural, at least if you're in a hospital where they've got really experienced anesthesiologists. You should be able to meet with someone in anesthesia who can confirm this for you.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation