Thread: Pregnancy and epidurals

Pregnancy and epidurals

Hi - I've been absent from this forum for about 5 yrs but always found a lot of help here, glad to be back!

I wasn't sure where to post this question but my husband and I are expecting our first child in July '14 and I'm wondering if anyone with a spinal fusion has had any trouble with back pain during pregnancy or giving birth? My surgeon said I should be fine.

Also wondering if it's possible to get an epidural or if anyone has had complications with that. I'm currently considering a home birth as well in which case I would most likely not go to the hospital. But wanted to ask since I haven't completely made up my mind.

I am 7, almost 8 yrs post-op. I had a revision surgery in 2007 that went well and only have pain after over exertion or sitting for long periods of time. This pain is manageable and a massage always gets me back to normal. So compared to the pain after my first surgery (2000 - fusion didn't heal, rods broke) I consider the 2nd surgery to be a complete success. I am 32 yrs old.

Thanks in advance!
    { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29.
    One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39.
    March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Quote Originally Posted by SARAHK View Post
    Hi - I've been absent from this forum for about 5 yrs but always found a lot of help here, glad to be back!

I wasn't sure where to post this question but my husband and I are expecting our first child in July '14 and I'm wondering if anyone with a spinal fusion has had any trouble with back pain during pregnancy or giving birth? My surgeon said I should be fine.

Also wondering if it's possible to get an epidural or if anyone has had complications with that. I'm currently considering a home birth as well in which case I would most likely not go to the hospital. But wanted to ask since I haven't completely made up my mind.

I am 7, almost 8 yrs post-op. I had a revision surgery in 2007 that went well and only have pain after over exertion or sitting for long periods of time. This pain is manageable and a massage always gets me back to normal. So compared to the pain after my first surgery (2000 - fusion didn't heal, rods broke) I consider the 2nd surgery to be a complete success. I am 32 yrs old.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Sarah...

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Since you're only fused to L2, you should be able to get an epidural, at least if you're in a hospital where they've got really experienced anesthesiologists. You should be able to meet with someone in anesthesia who can confirm this for you.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.