Getting Ready for Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nikki,

Thanks for the compliment. As you've learned, none of us are here for the praise or thanks-we are all just in this together. I honestly don't know how I would have gotten through all of this without this forum. The people who started this forum and keep it running are the ones we really need to thank.

Here's a thought-have you considered buying Crystal some new body gels, lotions or bubble bath for Monday night? Since it will be awhile until she shaves her legs and even longer until she can soak in a bubble bath, why not pamper her a little? Maybe offer a back rub- it will not only help relax her so maybe she can sleep, but it will give you time to talk about last minute concerns.

Hang in there.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi guys
      we just got home from nicoles 4 month post op, everything went well. We also walked across the street to see susanna and i am so upset she wasn't there. We met her husband, she was at the hotel getting some much needed sleep. Their daughter was sleeping as well and is doing good. We got to speak with her husband for a while and there was a girl in the next room that had the surgery the same day as susanna's daughter and we got to visit with her as well. She was awake and doing great. It was great speaking with them. I really was hoping to meet susanna.
      He lifted some restrictions on nicole which was good and we have to go back again in 4 months.
      jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

So what restrictions were lifted and what restrictions remain in place? No matter what restrictions were lifted, I'm sure Nicole wants more of them lifted. I'm so glad she is doing well.

Sounds like Grace and Susanna are doing okay as well. Do you remember being in her shoes four months ago? Jamie is three months post-op and the memories are as fresh as if it were yesterday but yet it seems so long ago. Thanks for checking in on them even though you missed Susanna.

Mary Lou

Comment

Jennifer,
          It is good to hear that Nicole had a good 4 mo. post-op. The doctor will lift more restrictions as healing allows.

I am so sorry you didn't get to see Susanna. I am sure she could of really used a hug from you. But, it sure sounds like Grace has done well. Susanna said she was pretty miserable last night and didn't get much sleep. Hopefully, tonight will be better for them.

I got my very last transcription tape done. Now, that is out of my hair. I told them to drop my next round of tapes off at my husbands office on the 18th and that he would bring it home and leave it on my desk for me. Now, I can get into getting the house a little more settled during the next two days and get packed to go.

Craig told me he would help me get some picture hung and some of my other interior decorating things that I need help with. You should see our shop. It is wall to wall boxes. You can't get a rig in it to work on. Hopefully, tomorrow I can get it attacked tomorrow and make a little room for Craig's things, since the shop is his domain.

I let Crystal go to school for a few hours this afternoon, she had some tests to take. She has to go in the morning too, to finish some tests from a teacher that wasn't there today. It will be good for her to see her friends. She had her Winter Sports Award Dessert Banquet last night. We went and she had a great time. All the kids seem to be relatively healthy now. I told her not to hug any one that was even remotely sick.

I am starting to actually feel a little more at ease about things today. Maybe because we are finally getting so close. We are leaving in a couple of days, instead of three weeks. I sure wish we all lived closer, so we could all meet each other in person. But, we will have to be satisfied with this for now.

Crystal asked me what the date was today. You should of seen the look on her face when I told her it was the 10th. Her eyes popped and she said "No way." I said "Yes way." She seems to have settled a little bit today too.

Well, I need to get, it's time to feed the cows and then it will be time to feed the family.

'til later,
          Nikki

Comment

Hi everybody,

First, Jennifer, I am so dissapointed I missed you today. I was mad at my husband for not calling me, but he was afraid he'd wake me. I walked in 15 minutes after you left. Maybe we can meet another time. Let me know when you have your next follow up. Perhaps one of these days?

Nikki, tell Crystal that the braids are brilliant, but mom, you will need to re-braid the hair very couple of days to make sure she doesn't get a huge rats nest. My daughter's hair is almost to her waist. She wants to give her hair to "Locks of Love" this summer when she can meet the minimum donation length and still have long-ish hair after she cuts it. She wants to give something to kids with an illness that can't be treated as easily as scoliosis.

My daughter's hanging in there. She's feeling like she was hit by a train, and neither of us got a wink of sleep last night, but everybody's maintaining a positive attitude.

Later everyone!
            Susanna
            ~~~~~~
            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

hi marylou
              sorry i was pretty vauge on the restrictions i was in a rush. Okay, he didn't say much but nicole asked about a few things and so did i. I told him that sometimes when she gets out of the car she runs to the house, is she allowed to run and he said yes. I also said that sometimes when she is leaving the house she will jump down like 2 steps and i yell at her everytime i asked if she should be doing this and he said no. She asked if she could go on her friends trampoline and he said not until 1 year. She asked if she could go swimming and jump in he said yes and we asked if she could jump off the side of the pool onto a raft (because we have a pool and that's what they like to do - not that she could do it now since it's freezing) but he said yes, she can now bend and she was thinking about doing badmiton and he said in 2 months she could do that. We did forget to ask about going on rides this spring and she forgot to ask if she could go bowling, but i don't want her to do that yet anyway and i've been driving her to school and he said she could go on the bus and since she doesn't like anyone touching her back, he gave her 6 weeks of p/t for them to desensitize her back, she wasn't happy about that. She doesn't want to go. He said to basically get back to normal, which is pretty much is, but take it easy. I took a picture of her x-rays with the digital camera. It is wild seeing those x-rays!
              And yes i remember being in their shoes 4 months ago, it is going so fast. It felt good to be where we are now. Susanna's daughter was sleeping so i just got to peak in on her, she looked comfortable and the other girl next door was awake and i teared up when i walked in the room and started talking to her. Just brought back so many memories.
              Jennifer

Comment

nikki,
                it sounds like you guys are all set and the day is almost here. If there is a computer there try and e-mail us from there. I'm sure you can relax now also knowing all your work (typing) is done. I know sometimes i can't relax until it is done, just knowing it is in the house i feel like i have to do it. When it's all done, i feel so much better.

susanna,
                I can't believe you came in 15 minutes later! Maybe we'll meet up one day on post op visits for the girls. Will you be going to him or someone by you for that? I am glad she is feeling better then last night. Have you seen boachie yet? Your husband said she hates those things on her feet, my nicole hated them too, she kept asking them to take them off. Keep us updated.
                Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,
                  Was the other girl you saw Chava, that posts on Spinekids? If it was, I saw your post this morning. Everyone will be thrilled to know how she is doing. Are you Jenn3 on that sight?

I got some sleep last night, it was interrupted sleep, I woke up once at 11pm to move from the couch to the bed and fell right to sleep, 4am again because I was cold and went back to sleep abouat 5am and got up at 6am. But, it was about 9 hours of sleep, instead of 3 or 4.

Crystal spent the night at a friend of ours last night. Hope she had a good time. The only reason I let her go on a school night, is that all the girls are going to be super busy this weekend and won't have time for a sleepover. They only have a half day of school of Friday's, so I figured that would be okay.

I can't believe it's only 3 days til admission, and 4 days til surgery. I am starting to feel at piece with this. Thank goodness.

Well, I need to get. I'll write more later.

'til later,
                  Nikki

Comment

Jennifer,

Thanks for posting about the restrictions-you know Jamie is only a month behind and I'm always curious even though it seems their restrictions are so different. At her three month check-up we asked about swimming and she is allowed to do that, but we didn't ask about diving because I knew she wouldn't be allowed to do that but thought the swimming would be a good way to get some exercise. The trampoline-yikes!-I'd be afraid to let her do that before one year, but it is always nice when the doctor says no which means we don't have to be the mean one. I'm glad she is able to get back to normal for the most part. As for the p.t., is there a place you can take her for her therapy that has a pool? Jamie does about 30-40 minutes in the pool before doing her regular therapy which last about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes. The last thing she does in the pool is sit in front of the water jets and lets them hit her back. I've noticed a big change in her since using the jets. In fact I saw her friend reach to pat her on the back the other day and I cringed. Jamie didn't even react at all!

I'm glad you took a picture of the x-ray. I need to ask Jamie if I can put her pictures on this forum. I have pictures from just before surgery, pictures of x-rays that were taken in the O.R., and every x-ray from the time of her diagnosis until her last follow-up appointment. The before and after pictures are amazing!

Mary Lou

Comment

diving

Hi ladies!
                      Catching up on all the posts! Funny, the differences in restrictions. Jamie was told two months ago that she could try diving (at 3 months post-op!), but she hasn't tried yet, which I'm grateful for! Swimming has been great for her too! She swims laps for 30 minutes or so, and then goes and soaks in the hot tub/therapy pool! Happy to hear all is well w/Nicole and Jamie!
                      p

Comment

hi nikki
                        wow 4 more days. I can't believe it. I bet you just want it over with already. Well, we'll all be here for all your questions when you get home. You know we'll all be thinking of you on that day and yes, that girl was chava. I couldn't believe it! She was doing amazing when i saw her. She was really alert and asking us some questions about her recovery and she told us that she hadn't even pressed the pain pump in an hour.

marylou,
                        i know all the drs are different with the restrictions. At least i feel like i could rest a little bit now knowing she can do a little more. I know about the trampoline, but her best friend has one and she loved going on it, i'm glad he said no though. And he said no tumblesaults on it. That is great that jamie does all that swimming. I don't think nicole would let the jets go on her back, she doesn't even like the shower water going on her back, that is why the dr wants the p/t to rub her back. Your daughter is definitely benefiting from that because the dr. said if you never touch it, it will never return to normal feeling.
                        pat
                        how are you guys doing?? You haven't been on here in a while

well have to go for now talk to you all soon
                        jennifer

Comment

Well I Am In The Panic Stage Going For All The Tests . She Is Going For This Surgery. I Got To Take Home Her Mir Films {wow} Nicole Is Being A Little Bit Of A Brat . But My Husband And I Try To Keep Her Grounded. She Has Been Asking So Many ??? . Just Wants To Know About Doing Things With Friends And You Girls Know They Social Lives Are Better Then Ours.
                          Nikki 4 Days I Have 19 I Wish I Was In Your Shoes Can't Wait Till The Summer Then She"ll Be 4 Months Out Like Jennifer And Mary Lou Kids . Did I Tell You Guys Lately Your The Best. I Should Had Been On The Site Months Ago. I'm Starting To Feel A Little Less Stess. I WEnt For A Massage Today Boy Did That Feel Good . I Haven't Done That In Years Too Busy Taking Care Of Everyone Else. My Daughters Goes For A Massage Twice A Week And I Just Sit And Watch . So Today Debbie Gave Me One Too.
                          Niiki Good Luck In My Prayers.
                          Jennifer Glad Your Daughters Check Up Was Good.
                          Mary Lou Hi How Are You. I Wish I Knew How To Do A French Braid So We Are Going For The Regular Ones.
                          Susanna So Glad Your Daughter Is Feeling Better. Boachies Girls In The Office Have Been Great With All That Has To Be Done Before And All My Questions.when Do You Leave To Go Home.
                          Well Nicole Needs The Compter Talk To All Soon.
                          Theresa
                          THERESA

Comment

hi theresa
                            19 days will be here before you know it. Is boachie doing your daughter too??
                            I'm sure you daughter is feeling the stress too. You wouldn't have wanted to live in our house before my daughters surgery. She didn't want to have the surgery so she was not in too good of spirits before this was happening. The stress was unbelivable around here. We had to carry her into the car the morning of the surgery, she wouldn't get out of her bed and pulling up to the hospital at 6:00 in the morning was another whole production. Girls are not easy! Now, 4 months post, she said she would tell anyone the surgery is the best thing than having to wear a brace. She is a different person since the surgery, we get along so much better.
                            Jennifer

Comment

Theresa, Jennifer, Susanna, Mary Lou, Pat, and whoever else I forgot that reads this post:
                              Thank you for your note today. Panic stage, you bet, been there on that one. Especially, about the time Crystal got a sinus infection. Was kind of worried about that one, but that is behind us now. I actually slept for the first time in a couple of weeks for more than 3-4 hours. I slept 8 hours, Yeah.
                              Grouchy teenager, the worst (or at least I think so sometimes), but then she has been getting about as much sleep as I have. I've had to sick dad on her numerous times this week. Social life, for Crystal-not much of one for the last three weeks. I had to pull her out of school, with the superintendent's approval, because so many teachers and students were sick. Didn't need her sick too. Let her go to school for a couple of hours yesterday and for an hour this morning. Let her spend the night at a very good friend of ours last night. We were trying to do something this weekend, but just don't have time. So we did it last night. She enjoyed herself.

Taking care of myself, who has time, everyone else needs to be taken care of. Gosh, I don't think some of them can make a pot of coffee to save their souls. Actually, I have been leaning on my husband a lot more this week. The altenator went out on my pickup today while I was feeding cows. So, I limped it home and called Craig on the celphone and told him when he got home he could finish feeding the cows. Usually, I call him and tell him he can come home now because the chores are done.

French braiding hair, and art, unless you rode Hunter/Jumpers as a kid, then you learn it at an early age and apply it to the human head instead of a horses tail. Terrible thought, huh. We even do what the girls call "CORN ROWS." It's multiple thinner french braids.

Actually, the stress in our house seems much better today. Craig picked Crystal up from school this morning and she went to Walla Walla, WA, and Enterprise, OR with him. He had to deliver semi-truck parts to some customers today. She had a good time. He took her out to lunch at a nice restaurant. I think they enjoyed the time together.

I took the youngest to lunch in LaGrande and the middle daughter had track practice, so I brought her a Subway sandwich. She was greatful, she was hungry.

I am glad to hear all the girls are feeling better. I look forward to being able to report that Crystal is doing better.

More later, cuz I know I will have forgot to ask/mention something.

'til later,
                              Nikki

Comment

Jennifer yes Dr. Boachie is doing the surgery. I'm hoping that Nicole won't freak out the moring of but she could. My inlaw live in P.A. They are coiming here so they can go visit with Nicole. I'm not looking foward to them staying at my home because that moring we go to the hosipal will be crazy. She wants her two year old puppy pete{a maltese} to go with her. And my mom in law is very close to Nicole. She will be crying Nicole will be crying and I don't need this. I hope that my brother in law will pick then up the day of and bring them to the city from P.A. To make my live a little easy. Doesn't look this way and I'm having it out with my husband about them being here. I love them both very much but sometimes I wish they weren"t so up are butts. Nicole will still have to wear a brace not looking forward to this. Dr. doesn't want the lumbar to move. Shes 57 top 55 bottom double cruve. He says she will only have to wear it for about a year. After surgery hes hoping for the top to be 5 bottom 10. He is also going to remove some ribs she has a large rib humb. posterior fusion t-4---t12.

Nikki o my god tonight she went to a school dance about 400 kids in the gym hopefully she didn"t caught everything. But we have a little time if she did. I'm very worried about that. Shes due for a cold hasn't had one snice xmas. Then I may caught it and I need to stay strong for her. My husband is going to fall apart. I had a Bone Marrow Transplant 9 years ago and I still have a low iumme system. So I'm a little germ freak. And if she gets sick I'm sick a week later. Well I will just kiss her alot so I get it sooner then we will be ok. I'm alittle crazy Tonight
                                Theresa
                                THERESA

Comment

Working...
                                X