No announcement yet.

4 weeks post op and feeling good!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My surgeon recommended rehab and I thought that it was definitely needed, especially for older persons with degenerative scoliosis that results in lots of rebuilding of discs. The hospital did very little teaching in walking and self care. The rehab hospital helped me to walk well and do bathroom and toilet care. Frankly, I do not remember my 10 days in the surgical hospital. I was so drugged from pain management, that while I may have been in pain and maybe i had some PT or OT, I do not remember it. Also, for me and maybe some other older persons, I had urinary incontinence for 3 weeks afte surgery. The prospect of wearing Depends for the rest of my life was depressing. It spontaneously stopped at about 4 weeks, so being in the rehab hospital was great for allowing my body to heal. Also, I was anemic and still had electrolyte imbalances which they treated in the rehab hospital. Almost forgot, I had L pulmonary atelectasis which caused severe chest pain. The hospital staff immediately responded with an ECG and X-rays to rule out cardiac problems. That would have been very scary if it happened at home because I would have called an ambulance and would go to a hospital where nobody knew me.
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I love hearing about the success people have had with height & waistlines! An encouraging bonus, for sure!
      Happy New Year!
      Peg
      61 yrs old
      75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
      T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
      Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Hi all,

yes, I did gain back at inch. I was 5'3" a few years ago, then went down to 5'1" and now am 5'2". I'll take what I can get! I do have a waistline and believe it or not have lost about 6 lbs, which was very unexpected. Im hoping to keep it off. I think my appetite just isn't that big right now.

Best of luck to all of you and heres to health in 2014!

Jill

Comment

Working...
        X