Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 weeks post op and feeling good!

Hi everyone,

its been 4 weeks since my surgery on 11/18. My surgery went very well and Im feeling pretty good. I was in the hospital for 9 days, longer than I had expected but I had what is called an ilius or a bowel obstruction while I was there and wasnt able to eat much or go to the bathroom. The hospital was wonderful except for the lousy bed and noise from all of the nurses coming in and out. I was very much ready to get out at about a week but had to stick around a little longer. I then went to an inpatient rehab for 11 days. I would highly recommend this for anyone who is planning on having surgery. This rehab was unbelievable. It was like a fancy hotel with nurses and PT's. I had PT and OT, each about an hour a day and was able to get a lot of rest and care in between. I became very close with the 12 other people that were in short term like me and we became like a little family. I missed my own family so much during this time but they came to visit almost every day. I think the hardest thing was missing Thanksgiving this year. We hope to do a redo next week. My children were troopers during the 3 weeks but I missed them so much and was so happy to be home. My husband is my hero...he came to see me every day even though both the hospital and rehab were both 45 minutes away. He took care of the kids, the house, and worked when he could. I am so thankful for all of the wonderful support I got from family, friends and coworkers.

Im doing well at home so far and not even using have a cane or walker at this point. Doing outpatient rehab for 6 weeks which is also very helpful. For anyone who has to go through this surgery, you can do it and you will get through it, I promise. I had a very positive state of mind going in and that helps a lot. Im looking forward to getting off the meds in a few weeks hopefully and being able to drive and get back to work. Id be glad to talk to anyone if they have any questions. Please dont hesitate to ask.

My surgery was T3-L3 and my curve went from 60 degrees down to 15. Pretty amazing and I feel straight for once!

Happy holidays to everyone and thank you for all of your support.

Jill

Glad that you are doing well!!
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Hi, Jill,

Sounds like you are doing very well. Glad to hear it, but, be careful not to get too excited and do too much early on...you might jar something accidentally. The fusion takes about six weeks or so to heal initially, but six months to a year to completely heal, and then you have all those stretched out muscles and organs and internal things that don't want to go back where they belong. I was doing great at six weeks when I went in to see my surgeon. No cane or walker needed. He looked me in the eyes and said, you are just getting started with the real healing. Be careful! Of course, that was me, not you, but I think being careful is better than being cared for longer any day of the week!

You have a great spouse and family. You are blessed!

Wendy
      Wendy
      Fusion T6 to S2 with Dr. Carlos Bagley,
      Duke Spine Center
      Surgery Date June 21, 2013

Comment

Jill, so glad that you feel so well. Take care of yourself!
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Great news, Jill!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jill--
            That sounds wonderful! Very happy for you and remember to take it easy--don't rush things as much as you might likie too! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

...as much as you might LIKE to. I hate when that happens. Old English teachers must fix errors!
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I am very happy for you, Jill! Thank you for sharing - I am sure that posts like this will inspire people who are considering or getting closer to the surgery date.
                I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Jill, I'm so happy for you! Thanks for sharing.
                  Peggy
                  Peg
                  61 yrs old
                  75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                  T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                  Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Sounds like your doing great although not wanting to put a dampener on things you are in the elated high period at the moment. I can remember feeling like this until I was at least 8 weeks-then the real healing process started to work. This recovery is very up and down, full of highs and lows and certainly tests us to the limit!

We are all different though so hopefully your recovery will continue to be uneventful.
                    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

Jill,
                      I'm glad you are doing well. I hope you continue to have a smooth recovery.
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

so happy for you

Hi Jill,
                        yes my surgeon recommended inpatient rehab too, since I live so far from the hospital ( over 4 hr drive). I dread the drive even without surgery! but my question for you: how tall are you now? did you gain inches? do you have a waistline now? I am about 65 degrees +/- in the thoracic area, yes, Iknow this is not a cosmetic surgery BUT it would be so nice to have a waistline. I feel all crumpled up in the middle, I hope your recovery continues to improve daily! Jamie in TX
                        57 years old.
                        thoracic curve 68 degrees
                        lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
                        Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
                        Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
                        THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Originally posted by scooter950 View Post
                          Hi Jill,
                          yes my surgeon recommended inpatient rehab too, since I live so far from the hospital ( over 4 hr drive). I dread the drive even without surgery! but my question for you: how tall are you now? did you gain inches? do you have a waistline now? I am about 65 degrees +/- in the thoracic area, yes, Iknow this is not a cosmetic surgery BUT it would be so nice to have a waistline. I feel all crumpled up in the middle, I hope your recovery continues to improve daily! Jamie in TX
                          Hi Jamie,

I am not Jill, but wanted to answer your question too. I gained 3 inches from my surgery - was 5.6 going in and 5.9 going out. And yes, I have a waistline! Even though my back is not perfectly straight, it is such a dramatic improvement over what it used to be! I threw away all my baggy clothes and only wear form-fitting things now. You're right, it's not a cosmetic surgery, but cosmetic benefit is such a huge bonus!
                          I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                          45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                          A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

I regained nearly 2 inches despite still having a 22 degree curve. Yes, I have a waist and a nice lordosis curve in my back, something I used to have in my younger years but lost gradually, as my curve worsened. Before surgery I didn't think about the possible cosmetic results so it came as a very pleasant surprise.
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jamie,
                              I gained 2 inches in height and went from a 70 degree curve to approximately 25 degree. To the naked eye, my back looks perfectly straight and I have a normal looking waistline. I no longer have a rib hump and touch the area several times a week in disbelief that it is flat! Thank you, Dr. Lenke. I no longer seek the loose fitting clothing when shopping with the dread of looking at the back view of an outfit as I did in the past.
                              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                              Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Age-60 at the time of surgery
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                              X