scoliosis and disk instability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scoliosis and disk instability

I have had the scoliosis since teen years... now 53 and with a degenerating disk, curve worsening, and my body twists so (apparently from instability), that I am considering scoliosis surgery. Thorasic 36, lumbar 32 but severe disk degeneration at L2-3 on concave side. Severe pain on left convex side. MRI shows a pronounced worsening of curve at L2-3 because the disk degeneration's in on one side (concave- right) only. Docs say the rather severe pain I have had since January 2013 must be from sudden disk degeneration. Also my body has twisted 3 times since summer such that without a visit to chiropractor and massage, I literally stood up crooked and faced 45 degrees to the left- falling totally into my grade 4/4 rotation. This position is excruciating. Have muscle relaxants, colonophin to relax but on my own I can not get straight (as straight as I usually am since I am crooked!!) I live in upstate NY- just another posted a Q on who to go see within a days drive. Had one consultation where a spinal surgeon said try a spinal stimulator but at Hopkins told-no because I can not go to the chiro anymore. Went to Hopkins- was put in with a lumbar degenerative scoliosis guy- partly my fault not being clear I had a thoraco-lumbar curve. Now referred to Dr. Kebaish at Hopkins. Has anyone had this severe twisting- so painful and very scary. Chiro says the disk has gone spongy so he adjusts me and it does not hold. Doc at Hopkins says I probably need surgery. Failed all conservative ideas- epidural blocks, RFNA, prolotherapy, PT. When I am straight pain is only bad-not excruciating- lots of tylenol and tramadol works, but the slightest rotation, I go into excruciating muscle spasms.

Jean..i am so sorry that you are in so much pain...
    you wanted someone within a day's drive...???
    there are several top surgeons in Manhattan who are listed
    in info section of this website...

i hope you find the correct surgeon for you....
    QUESTION....have you tried botox injections to freeze the muscles
    that are going into spasm...???? i get botox shots in upper spine
    and it helps my upper spine...it has not worked on my lower spinal
    problems...

jess
    Last edited by jrnyc; 12-16-2013, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Jean

Looks like you waited a long time.....That’s a familiar story around here.

Before my surgeries, I was doing many hot soaks and massages for pain control. Did Chiro, had multiple herniation’s, sciatica, degeneration, you know, the works....

It’s a good idea to see a scoliosis surgeon. It doesn’t mean you have to commit, but it’s a start....

Ask any questions at all, there are many of us here.

Welcome to the forum

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

botox

I tried a botox injection into lumbar muscles. It did not really help. It wore off an it frankly feels better to be able to feel the massages I get weekly and the active release therapy from physical therapist. Insurance long stopped paying but I see him weekly too. I saw one surgeon at Mayo Clinic but realized I can not fly anymore. I love Mayo. Was seen there for a bad wrist injury. So now the quest for a closer consultation.

Comment

sorry the botox did not help you, Jean...
          not surprised, though...
          do not know that it helps lumbar area...thoracic area
          seems more suited to the shots...i still have feeling there...
          just no longer get muscle spasms in upper spine for a few months..
          i get the botox shots every 3-4 months...

i got a great deal of relief from lumbar pain with SI joint injections...until i got too much steroid and my cortisol crashed...
          i know others who got relief from lumbar pain with SI joint
          shots as well...
          not sure if you have tried those...for temporary relief.

hope you can find the surgeon best for what you need...
          wishing you a better 2014 for pain relief

jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jean1020 View Post
            I have had the scoliosis since teen years... now 53 and with a degenerating disk, curve worsening, and my body twists so (apparently from instability), that I am considering scoliosis surgery. Thorasic 36, lumbar 32 but severe disk degeneration at L2-3 on concave side. Severe pain on left convex side. MRI shows a pronounced worsening of curve at L2-3 because the disk degeneration's in on one side (concave- right) only. Docs say the rather severe pain I have had since January 2013 must be from sudden disk degeneration. Also my body has twisted 3 times since summer such that without a visit to chiropractor and massage, I literally stood up crooked and faced 45 degrees to the left- falling totally into my grade 4/4 rotation. This position is excruciating. Have muscle relaxants, colonophin to relax but on my own I can not get straight (as straight as I usually am since I am crooked!!) I live in upstate NY- just another posted a Q on who to go see within a days drive. Had one consultation where a spinal surgeon said try a spinal stimulator but at Hopkins told-no because I can not go to the chiro anymore. Went to Hopkins- was put in with a lumbar degenerative scoliosis guy- partly my fault not being clear I had a thoraco-lumbar curve. Now referred to Dr. Kebaish at Hopkins. Has anyone had this severe twisting- so painful and very scary. Chiro says the disk has gone spongy so he adjusts me and it does not hold. Doc at Hopkins says I probably need surgery. Failed all conservative ideas- epidural blocks, RFNA, prolotherapy, PT. When I am straight pain is only bad-not excruciating- lots of tylenol and tramadol works, but the slightest rotation, I go into excruciating muscle spasms.
            Dr. Frank Rand in Boston would be less that a day's drive for you unless you are way up North.
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
            X