Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Yoga Poses Post Fusion to Sacrum

Hi,
    I have seen other posts on yoga pre-surgery or yoga post, but I don't think there are any that address yoga for those of us fused to the sacrum. I'm 60 and had the surgery a little over a year ago and am doing well. I used to do a lot of yoga, but hardly did any by the time I had surgery. I emailed the yoga teacher referenced in some other posts (she is fused and does yoga), but she didn't have advice for someone fused to the sacrum.

For those who do yoga, what poses have you found best?
    Thanks,
    Lisa
    60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
    58 years old

I'm no longer able to do yoga but I am able to do other forms of exercise: interval cardio, weight training, competitive archery.
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

About Exercise

Hi Doreen,
      Thanks for your answer. I have been trying aqua yoga and just doing poses within my range. I'm still figuring it out. I agree that what's important is exercise on a regular basis. I've been attending a water arthritis class and like that very much. It's a class where I can really do everything. It's sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation at Y's and is available throughout the U.S. I also work out on a recumbant bike and do weights and exercises that I did in PT.

How are you feeling? I remember you were having some other issues. Did you ever figure it all out?
      Best,
      Lisa
      58 years old

Comment

Pedometer

And Doreen I wanted to thank you for getting me started using a pedometer. It's a little silly that I still use it, but I find it motivates me to keep my walking up. You were the person who explained to me how it helped you in your recovery.
        Best,
        Lisa
        58 years old

Comment

Glad the pedometer is helpful.

Some of the issues have been identified, some are still a mystery and I'll get info in a few weeks. So this is what I know at this point:
          Romberg's - balance issue
          Ulnar neuropathy - numb hands
          Osteoarthritis
          Clonus of knee/ankle - walking issue
          4 lesions in cervical
          Ataxia - balance issue
          PARATHESIS
          Cervical retrolisthesis
          Cervical spondylosis

Second opinion rheumatologist will give me updates soon about whether she feels I have RA or Fibromyalgia.

Second opinion MS doc said I have a lot of signs for MS (everything else has been ruled out) and that he cannot say for 100% certainty that I don't have MS because there is one area in the brain where lesions don't appear on MRIs. Right now my MRIs do not show lesions. Doc said until he sees something on MRI he wont Rx MS meds. He'll have me do MRI every 6 months.

I'm tired of going to docs and hopefully more info will be revealed with rheumatologist.
          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
          X