Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 13 year old daughter with a 44 degree lumbar curve

Thanks Linda. Dunno about the laxatives but last night they gave her a suppository which did not help much. Anyways have got the doc to prescribe an anema which seems to have helped. She's feeling weaker but would get better as the day progressed.

Thanks to all of you for just being there.

Hi there,
    Thinking of you guys and hoping your daughter heals quickly! One thing she might try for constipation when out of the hospital is warm prune juice. Sounds kind of gross but I found it helped. I used to just pop a glass in the microwave for a little bit.
    Hang in there!
    -spring
    Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
    Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
    Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Update

Hey Guys,

All your prayers and wishes worked !

We are back home. Dear daughter is fine and is already moving around albeit with braces. Normal diet ( a bit extra thanks to her protective parents to try and increase her heamoglobin levels).

She is about 1.5 inches taller and is waiting to show off her new found height gain to her friends. All the pain, nausea, dizziness are a thing of the past.

As of now she has been prescribed pain meds on SoS basis which she has not taken yet. She is fused T4 to L4. Her curves are in single digit along with a good correction of the rotation as well. She has been fitted with a Co-Cr rod along with a Titanium Rod. I have noticed a slight bit of left chest wall protrusion and a slight forward lean but the doc says it would all fall in place.

All of us are very happy with the outcome. Fingers crossed.

Coolblue
    Last edited by coolblue; 11-19-2014 at 07:46 AM.

That's such great news, coolblue!

Kids recovery pretty quickly. She will seem back to normal before her activity restrictions are lifted if she has any. That is the hard part... reminding them to take it easy when they feel completely fine.

Onward and upward!
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Quote Originally Posted by coolblue View Post
    Her curves are in single digit along with a good correction of the rotation as well.
    This seems like the key to avoiding another surgery. We have a woman on the group who was fused I think 6 years ago to L4 and her disc below that is fine. Hopefully now that your daughter's spine no longer technically has scoliosis (<10*) and was derotated, she will be okay for life. There was an article recently about how hyper correction matters in terms of disc health below the fusion. I will try to remember where I saw that. It's why Dr. Hey stands on his head to correct lumbars.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Here it is... it is only when I wrote about Dr. Hey that I remembered it was on his blog...

http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/2014/...dolescent.html

What is really cool about Dr. Lafage's research is that she was able to show that over the 2 years after scoliosis surgery, the lumbar discs actually REHYDRATED after the surgical realignment of the spine above the discs. This happened at ALL lumbar levels when the pelvic incidence was low (most common in AIS), and in some levels with high pelvic incidence (PI). This research suggests that the realignment was actually REVERSING the early damage to the lumbar discs, which would be our hope to allow those lower 2-4 lumbar discs to last the patient another 80+ years!

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."