Tight Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, Marina!

Asheville! Great! Who did your surgery? I had no luck finding a surgeon here. I wound up at Duke as an emergency. Did you have to go the pain management route?

Nice to know there's someone else from the the most beautiful place in the world!

Wendy
    Wendy
    Fusion T6 to S2 with Dr. Carlos Bagley,
    Duke Spine Center
    Surgery Date June 21, 2013

Comment

Asheville

Wendy, I left Asheville in 1985. I live in Atlanta now. Dr. Timothy Yoon at Emory did my surgery.

Are you from Asheville?

No, I didn't need to deal with pain management. I was very lucky in that I got off all pain meds by week 7 post surgery. Not sure if it was because I was ready or that I had to go back to work for health insurance. Whatever the case, I was fine and now two and half years post op, feel almost back to normal. If it weren't for the tightness and off and on sharp shooting pains, I would be 100%. Usually not a big deal. I've tried everything but nothing works. I don't want to take any medication for it. The only thing that I've been told that would work is gabapentin. I want to get rid of it, not mask it.

Take care!
      50 years old!!!!!
      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
      Surgery 07/11/2011
      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I am coming up on 2 years postop and I still feel like I am wearing a metal corset all the time. The weird thing is, it doesn't really bother me much now that I am used to it. And in some ways, I actually like it. (Like, I don't feel like I am hunched over and can't stand up straight anymore, and if this is what's keeping me upright, I'm okay with it.) That said, once in a while I get the muscle spasms that are somewhat painful. Then I know it's time to stretch and exercise. I have this nagging feeling that if I was in better shape--lifted weights, etc.--the tightness would be less. I wonder if it is related to muscle atrophy, because it sure feels like I am all skin, bones and metal back there. (Just to clarify, I'm not in terrible shape, but just do moderate exercise like walking and aqua aerobics.)

Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
          I am coming up on 2 years postop and I still feel like I am wearing a metal corset all the time. The weird thing is, it doesn't really bother me much now that I am used to it. And in some ways, I actually like it. (Like, I don't feel like I am hunched over and can't stand up straight anymore, and if this is what's keeping me upright, I'm okay with it.) That said, once in a while I get the muscle spasms that are somewhat painful. Then I know it's time to stretch and exercise. I have this nagging feeling that if I was in better shape--lifted weights, etc.--the tightness would be less. I wonder if it is related to muscle atrophy, because it sure feels like I am all skin, bones and metal back there. (Just to clarify, I'm not in terrible shape, but just do moderate exercise like walking and aqua aerobics.)

Evelyn
          On a good day this is exactly how I feel and I'm just over 3 years post op.
          I've been keeping a pain diary and I feel as though I'm still improving-very small improvements though but I am doing more than I was say 6mths ago. The corset feeling you describe is my main problem-do you feel as though you have pressure in your back? On a bad day though I have pain and I did put that down to some protruding screws but as time goes by I'm not so sure they are the culprit. They did impinge but that's getting less now. My surgeon has offered to remove my hardware and he's also suggested injections but I'm putting both off......for now. I'm still staying positive that I'm getting used to the pressure or things are still improving.

I only walk and find that if I don't I feel stiff and uncomfortable but if I walk for too long the pressure builds up too much. I like you wonder if being fitter would help but I couldnt imagine using weights, I feel as though I have no muscles in the centre of my back at all and my surgeon said I have zero fat there. I've asked him about muscle atrophy but he just shrugged it off, I wish it didn't feel as though all I had there is hardware.
          Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

Lifting weights

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post

Evelyn
            Hi Evelyn,
            Based on my own experience, I am a huge believer in using light weights and doing activities/exercises that engage the back muscles. I am not talking about heavy weight lifting. I started off with simple arm raises with no weights in hand and then eventually started to use soup cans and 3lb hand weights. I now have added weight machines and when I started with those, I used really low settings like 10 or 15 lbs at first. Now I do the pulldown and rowing machines at 40 lbs with no intention of going higher because then it starts to create shoulder issues for me (probably because of my 30 degree curve yet). There is still some tightness there and my back muscles sometimes feel "ropey" to me, but it is still so much better as compared to when I don't do weights on a regular basis. I have that corset feeling too and I think that it will always remain as a constant reminder of my surgery.

Whatever you do, Just be sure to start slowly. It probably will help that you do aqua aerobics and are already engaging those muscles more than you realize.
            Take care...
            Donna
            Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
            Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
            Fused T3-L3
            60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
            Tennis player & returning to the courts!
            http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Evelyn,
              I still look somewhat hollowed out between my shoulder blades, but I think I'm getting a little muscle back using light weights (5 lb. max.) and stretch bands and some of the machines at the Y to help that area. Janet (Dr. Lenke's PT) told me not to lift weights out to the sides while standing or overhead. I think it's to protect my neck. When I laid on my back at exercise classes, even at 2 years, it felt like I was laying on a 2 by 4 board. Now, it is much more comfortable at 3 years and probably because of the exercises.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                Evelyn,
                I still look somewhat hollowed out between my shoulder blades, but I think I'm getting a little muscle back using light weights (5 lb. max.) and stretch bands and some of the machines at the Y to help that area. Janet (Dr. Lenke's PT) told me not to lift weights out to the sides while standing or overhead. I think it's to protect my neck. When I laid on my back at exercise classes, even at 2 years, it felt like I was laying on a 2 by 4 board. Now, it is much more comfortable at 3 years and probably because of the exercises.

I also have a significant hollowed out area between my shoulderblades and this is where all my pressure pain is. I don't excercise because I'm scared of ending up in more pain but I'm wondering should I go give it a go anyway?
                Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

I am a big believer in exercising (and always was) , especially after this major surgery when my muscles so quickly atrophied. However, Dr. Lenke only allowed me to do specific exercises that his physical therapist approved. Periodically, I was able to add to my workouts with additional exercises that she gave me. Dr. Lenke stressed that most physical therapists "don't realize the magnitude of this surgery and can cause more harm than good." I worry about some who start physical therapy early in their recovery. I was only allowed to walk and do some exercises with light weights while lying on my back on the bed for the first several months. My point is that exercise is going to improve your muscle tone and strength, but that one needs to find out the do's and don'ts after having surgery so you don't do anything harmful when exercising.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
                    I am very happy with the outcome of my surgery, but curious about one thing. My back gets tight in the middle sometimes, like someone is holding me with strong hands. It is not bad and if I have to live with this feeling for the rest of my life, that is totally fine. But I wanted to ask people who are several years out of the surgery – does this tight back feeling ever go away?
                    Irina......Not today, that’s for sure...... Do you feel the front and storm moving in today?

This always happens when the winter storms approach.

Tomorrow, I will be ok......

This was an easy winter for west coast scolis. California will catch on fire here soon with the drought that’s happening. It’s the worst in 100 years.

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...