Nerve pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerve pain

Hi Everyone.... It's me again...I would like to ask who out there has experience my symptoms and if surgery in the lumbar spine to the sacrum helped. I have nerve pain I both legs and groin. Sometimes it is a burning pain... Sometimes it is just a stabbing, jabbing unrelenting pain. The more I walk or sit he worse it becomes. Have your legs ever felt heavy and I know this is weird but it feels like extreme pressure within my legs. The only thing that helps is laying down with ice and waiting for it to subside. MRI's show degeneration, moderate to severe facet arthropathy and stenosis. One MRI even showed compression of S1 exiting nerve root. I know you must be so tired of me whining that my surgeon did not elect to extend my fusion. I will see what the says Dec 9th but this bece pain has to be coming from somewhere. WAS YOUR NERVE PAIN RELIEVED By DECOMPRESSION TO THE PELVIS?? I hate to think of another surgery but this is really affecting my quality if life.
    1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
    1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
    Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
    December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Patty

I cant comment on a revision because I had the whole shebang done at once. I must say that with your recent posts here that it sounds like you are hurting with some serious pain......I’m so sorry about this. Sigh....

Dixiemom mentions about sleeping through the night, which weighs heavily. If you cant make it through the night or are waking up in pain, that notches up the seriousness of the situation. Are you at least sleeping through the night?

I used hot water soaks for nerve pain, it was the only thing that really worked. If you do this route, please be careful,no bending, no falling, and drink plenty of water.

I cant comment surgically.....

Have you had this pain all along since your last surgery, or has it gotten worse recently?

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Patty,

I would be very hesitant to say that surgery to anywhere for YOU in particular would solve your pain issues. I did have lumbar facet arthropathy, spinal stenosis, and disc degeneration before my surgery and the surgery with focus on all of those issues did result in much, much less discomfort. I am still struggling with some problems which I think will probably work themselves out by 2 years, but my quality of life is awesome and I sleep well. Before surgery, I had a lot of leg and back pain. My surgeon said that she could not guarantee that my pain would get better. She did say that pain from stenototic vertebrae is successfully decreased inversely to the amount of time that you have had it. I was very worried that I would go through surgery, only to have the same pain as before. That was not at all the case. I remember the first time that I stood up after surgery and walked, I smiled because the R sciatic pain was not there. Ahhhhhhh.........

Both surgeons that I talked to had the exact same game plan of T3 to sacrum, so I was never given any choice. With my age and understanding of the situation, I would have chosen what happened. I am very pleased.

And Patty, I never get tired of you or anyone in pain complaining or whining. I just feel sympathy and compassion and wish that I could do more than supportive words to help you.

I wish that I could have a crystal ball and tell you that an extension to the sacrum would relieve your pain. I do know that for me, the surgery was pretty much totally successful. A surgeon would be the one to Evaluate the degree to which any surgery might give you relief.

I hope that you find relief. My heart goes out to you. Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
      X