What's the best kind of office chair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best kind of office chair?

My firm has generously offered to buy me whatever kind of chair I need to be comfortable (aka to ADA accommodate me - I guess I fall in that category now?) At any rate, problem is, I have no idea what kind of chair might be best. All I know is that sitting at a desk all day is terribly uncomfortable. (I'm fused T10-pelvis, and I'm almost 5 months post op.) My PT has advised that I get a wedged shaped cushion, and that I lean forward and perch on the edge of the seat rather than leaning back. After about a week and a half, I think I'm starting to get strong enough to support myself in this position. But my tailbone gets crunched (I haven't bought the wedge yet), and my upper back above the fusion is really having to take the brunt of it, and by the end of the day my neck and shoulders and the space between my shoulder blades ache like crazy. But I can see how perching is a much better position than leaning back, because the seat is not deep enough even with a pillow, and ultimately it's more uncomfortable on my poor beleaguered ribs to lean back.

So, after poking around on the internet, it seem like these kneeling chairs sort of recreate the perching pose. Does anyone know anything about them? Are they hard on the knees? Are they a new agey fad? Is there some other type or brand of chair that anyone recommends? Thanks!
    Surgery June 18 by Dr. Errico at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases at age 41.
    Fused T10-Pelvis.
    "Ask me about my brand new lordosis!"

I don't know anything about chairs, but have you thought about a standing desk? I've heard some people even without back surgery use standing desks. It probably won't work if you use two monitors because these desks are usually small.
    Last edited by Irina; 11-13-2013, 09:42 PM.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

I have a kneeling chair in my studio that as of now I am not using. Pre surgery my legs hurt almost as much as my back. The shins take the brunt of the pressure with the kneeling chair, and getting on it, and worse, off it, is not easy. There is no body padding on the shins as there is on the "seat". I would suggest you go to an office supply store and try out a lot of their chairs. They all have adjustment changes with different chairs using different techniques. Getting a chair that works for you is very important for your continued healing. Good luck!
      Wendy
      Fusion T6 to S2 with Dr. Carlos Bagley,
      Duke Spine Center
      Surgery Date June 21, 2013

Comment

Working...
      X