No announcement yet.

Surgery 11-13/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wishing you the very best of outcomes and a bump-free recovery!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Tamena sent me her x-rays....she is straight as an arrow!

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Tamena,
        Best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

She is posting on Facebook, so seems to be doing really well!!
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Tried to read her Facebook page, but all I could bring up is a request to friend her....so I did. Glad to hear that you are doing well. Hope that this surgery does it!
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

My back looks great after 11.5 hours, but it don't feel to great. It's still real early, but all I can do is cry. I just want recovery to speed by and forget the pain.
              Tamena
              Attached Files
              Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Wow, those x-rays look great. Sorry you're feeling so crummy, Tamena. I hope your recovery is quick.
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

Tamena, I cringe when I hear of someone in such pain. What pain meds are you on at the moment? Yes, it's early days but I hope you can get that pain under control so you can relax, sleep, eat, walk and heal. I don't think much good comes of being in such pain. I had to beg for extra oxycontin and when I got it, the pain went and I was able to do the things I should be doing, all of which promote healing.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

We do cringe....and we offer our sympathy Tam, it’s a reminder and we posties think back about what we went through. How can we forget?

Although we know and try to understand beforehand that its bad, we don’t realize that its going to be such a shock. I wish I could say its like jumping into cold water, where we can simply get out and warm up, but we have to tough it out.....rely on our meds, and try to hang in there mentally. Be strong and realize that its temporary, and you will get through the hard part.

It was a few weeks of misery for me then suddenly I had this bump, a 10-20% bump in improvement. My recovery seemed to come in these steps and was not a gradual transition. Almost as if I had 10 specific nerve areas that suddenly healed at their own rates. And the nerve pain is either a strong 10 level pain or there is no pain, so like a switch, on or off. Lets hope a few of these switches turn off soon for you.

Scoliosis surgery is painful, we know that. Try to cheer up, stick with the plan, and get the job done. I always knew I would get through it, so just keep thinking about how well you will turn out in the future. Look ahead, think ahead, never back, almost as if you reset the clock. Your new spine and your new life are now a reality. You did it, congratulations.

Keep notes on meds, food, everything. Keep a diary. Do short walks.

Now, you also understand the true meaning of the words “hang in there” Our survival mantra we keep repeating.

Hang in there

Post no matter how sloppy, we understand

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Tamena,

I'm sending you some strength and positive thoughts….as Ed put so well, these early days are so incredibly difficult. You will make it through. My first 11 days post-op were really rough…severe pain, uncontrolled nausea, unrelenting constipation, oral thrush, anxiety with being trapped in this horrible new reality, all topped with insomnia. I remember calling my surgeon's PA and just crying hysterically because I felt so horrible. She advised me to sleep whenever possible, take several 5 minute walks outside each day, drink plenty of fluids, and keep up with the pain meds. I think the brief walks outside helped lift my spirits a bit.

At 12 days I suddenly turned the first corner, as Ed described, and I started to feel significantly better. At my 2-week post-op visit with the same PA she couldn't believe how good I looked compared to how bad I had sounded days before. I will happen for you soon, too.

Hang in, please let us know how you are doing.
                      Gayle, age 50
                      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Your x-rays look fantastic. Remember we all know what the first few weeks are like. You will get to the top soon. As Ed said--there will be periods of time that you feel better--then a little slip back--all in due time. There isn't anything that is easy about this surgery for an adult--but it does get better.
                        Best wishes to you for a great Thanksgiving,Jackie
                        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                        Right scapulectomy 6/15
                        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                        Broken neck 9/28/2018
                        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                        Osteotomy

Comment

Tamena, if you are crying and in pain take more drugs or ask for new ones. I had so many drugs, that I do not remember day 12! Slow down and drink lots of water and take your drugs on schedule. Do not hesitate to ask for more! Sending you love and less pain, Susan

Try an ice bag, I used them in the hospital as well as in recovery. My heart goes out to you. Figure out positions that work, meds that work. Tamena, you will get through this. Listen to your body and ask for help. Wish that I lived closer and I'd come over and help you. Pls post and let us know how you are.
                          Last edited by susancook; 11-23-2013, 11:49 PM.
                          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Just thought I would check in. Pain is still at a high level, but I am beginning to get used to the feeling of having a permanent brace. I've finally began to sleep a lot, so that's good and tomorrow I get to shower! I can't wait for that! I have not been able to eat. Even the sound of food makes me want to throw up but I am drinking a ton of apple juice, so I am getting some nutrients. Doesn't make fun for turkey day though. Anyway I am beginning to ramble so if I don't talk to you before Thursday have a great thanks giving! I know I have plenty to be thankful for!
                            Tamena
                            Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Tamena, Great to hear from you. Sounds like you still have a lot of challenges. I actually liked my brace a lot over time. It made me feel safe and also let others know to be careful with me. When you are in public, the brace was great as i was always worried about people running into me, but the brace provided a barrier which i found to be comforting.

I know that i am preaching to the choir, and you are a member of the choir, but the narcotics may well be contributing to your nausea....and what meds have you tried for the nausea? Have you tried a heating pad or ice for the pain (I used ice even in the hospital, works for me!) How about rice, bread, plain foods for a start? Ginger-lemon tea?

The shower will be....shall I say almost orgasmic (don't get any wild ideas and think about doing something kinky in the shower! Hahahahahahahaha. that is the furthest thing from your mind, I imagine. ) Showers at least help you to feel human.

I hope that your pain decreases. Try more pillows and positions that are more comfortable. Things WILL get better!
                              Thinking of you and sending a very gentle hug!
                              Susan
                              Last edited by susancook; 11-27-2013, 03:18 AM. Reason: Can't type worth a damn on my cell phone Internet;+{

Comment

Hi, Tamena,
                                I have been reading your Facebook posts and know that you have been in a lot of pain. Don't hesitate to call Dr. Kelly's office if you think you need to change your medications to get your pain under control. It is hard to know how much pain should be expected and tolerated. I was told that they wanted to keep my pain under control so that I would be able to walk my indoor track of the house several times a day. I hope each day gets better for you.
                                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                                Rib Hump-GONE!
                                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                                Now 66
                                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                                X