Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many revision surgeries have you all had?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many revision surgeries have you all had?

I was just curious. I see all of you posting a bunch of surgeries. Are they all from problems with the first surgery not taking? How many have you guys had after your initial fusion when you were a teen? I am just trying to see if in the long run I might need more or if I am done....Hopefully.
    are you guys in chronic pain? What are your limits physically? and if there are some when did they start? I am still trying to decide to have a baby and that worries me that I might need additional surgeries. My Dr told me after this they really can't do anymore surgeries so its crazy that you guys have had so many. Please share your stories for me. Thanks

Hi Annabeller,
    I have had 2 additional surgeries. After the 1st surgery--I factured the vertabrae above the fusion. It was a surgical complication because it was on the 6th day after surgery. I had to have the rest of the spine fused and 3 cervical levels.
    Pain and hyperkyphosis was the reason. Not fun for sure.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

I am so sorry you had to have 3 surgeries! Did they help? Are you out of chronic pain?

Comment

I would say that the additional surgeries helped. When I fractured the level above the t10-pelvis fusion, it stayed sore all of the time. It is like that is where your arms move through your back and everything hurt right there. When the surgical cervical fusion was done it helped with that also. It went t10-pelvis,then cervical and then t-2 to t10. I am over 2 years since the last surgery and am now having extensive pain in the upper most part of the spine,the only thing so far that helps if to lay my head down. That helps it go away for awhile. I am trying to schedule another visit with the surgeon. WE are trying am another perscription but is not helping yet.
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Osteotomy

Comment

Thats horrible! But I think I know what you mean. I was fused from t-10-sacrum and have had 3 surgeries but now my upper spine is always hurting too! I don't want anymore surgeries and I am afraid they won't help wither. So for now I am just on pain meds. It sucks. Why does the upper spine start hurting after the lower is fused? DO you know?

Comment

I don't know why the upper spine then starts to hurt, but I fractured the level above--I just thought that was why mine hurt. And it hurt a lot! That was not fixed for 2 years. I think my sore area now is because I only have one movable disc that isn't fused and that is c7-t1. I hope to see the Dr soon to see what he has to say.
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Osteotomy

Comment

Revision surgeries~~~

Hi, I have had five spinal surgeries. Four of them were what we call revision, as the first one was the one that created my huge problem of adult onset scoliosis and Flatback syndrome(sagittal imbalance). I live in So.Dak. and had a double fusion in 2006 on L3/4 L4/5. (Rapid City,S.D.). Then I started to lean over to the right a couple years later until it got so bad I could hardly walk. I then had a revision surgery in Sioux Falls So. Dak. to stand me up as everything above L3/4 L4/5 was sliding down and to the right and so the surgeons in Sioux Falls tried twice to do fusion fron T4 to sacrum (only posterior) But both times it failed to hold and the Flatback syndrome returned with vengeance. I live in a small town and both the places I had surgery were a couple hundred miles from my home town. I was bent over at about 45 degrees and in horrific pain. Pain control was almost impossible most the time. I found this web site before my first revisions took place. And after they failed I kept reading on this web site about how Dr. Lenke could reinforce the long fusion surgeries from the front, all from the posterior incision. I had had three major abdominal surgeries in the past, so this sounded good for someone like me. I was glad Dr. Lenke could take me. He only takes on the more serious cases. In 20012 he did do a 13 hr. surgery on me and was able to reach under my spine to reinforce me also from the front. So I was fused from T4 to my sacrum. Recovery went good until I fell hard (twice) and fractured a rod which caused me to start to bend again. So at six months I went back into surgery for repair and revision. It wasn't as long of a surgery, but it was very hard on me for a few weeks. But slow but sure I have gained strength and I am doing quite well. I go for my six month check up this Wednesday. So I pray for everything to look good on my X-rays!! It has been very hard on me , but we all no we're not alone. These are long and very tough surgeries. It's tough enough going through one of these let alone several. Well, that's my story. I hope you are doing good. Keep us in the loop! And I'll do the same Warmly, Linda. PS. Dr. Lenke was 13 hrs. from where we live, but worth the long drive.
              Last edited by babyboomer16; 11-11-2013, 12:04 AM.
              Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
              Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
              This started adult onset scoliosis
              July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
              Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
              Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
              May 30th 2013 revision
              May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
              May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Working...
              X