Chronic UTIs post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronic UTIs post-op

Has anyone else had issues with chronic urinary tract infections post-op? I am 18 months post op and have had constant UTIs every since my surgery. I am just now seeing a urologist for further testing, have been on a multitude of antibiotics. It is very frustrating to be constantly battling this! Anyone else have experience with this?
    Pam, age 49
    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
    T-3 to sacrum

All my urine tests since surgery show that I have a UTI but I have not had any symptoms. I keep thinking the tests have to be false positives, but after the third or fourth I find it weird thatmy body doesn't not since them. Wonder if it has anything to do with the numbness I've had since surgery.
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Pam

Sorry about the UTI’s..... Your urologist can get this straightened out.... Isn’t cranberry juice the choice beverage for UTI’s?

How is the back after your revision? You were in the doldrums there for awhile....

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I'm status quo, but thanks for asking Ed. The revision did not help me unfortunately.
        Pam, age 49
        Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
        April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
        T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Hi,
          I have had constant UTI's. But I blame it on to the fact I developed other female issues during my two yrs. of being bent over , my rib cage putting pressure on my pelvic muscles.(I now have a uterus prolapse). So I am blaming the UTI onto this problem. We'll see, as they are going to fix this uterus problem next week. It's kind of embarrassing to talk about my uterus (It just a fact). I am seeing a Urogynocologist for this, and I kind of get the impression that he doesn't think the infections and the prolapse are linked, as he is doing lots of tests on my bladder due to the constant UTI's. Ugh!! I am taking my antibiotics again. And since my surgery(5 mo.ago) I have been on antibiotics constantly. I wonder since I read your post if there is something related in the spinal surgery and the UTI's. I will try to keep you updated and we'll see if after they fix the prolapse, the UTI's go away.! I had my gall bladder removed a couple months after surgery. Hmmm? I have read that gall bladder problems are connected to the big spinal surgeries too. Who knows! Maybe I read too much. But we truly have to be our own advocates when it comes to our bodies. Sorry this got so long. Hope you are doing well with your spine. Stay in touch~~~Linda
          Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
          Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
          This started adult onset scoliosis
          July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
          Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
          Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
          May 30th 2013 revision
          May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
          May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Me, too.

I, too, have had a lot of uti's. my first two were in the hospital, a week apart. I am four months out and have had two since. I have a pocket like swelling on the side of my abdomen where my spine was twisted the most, the apex of my curve between L 2 and L 3 just under my ribcage. I don't know if it will go away or if it is a hernia in my abdominal wall caused by the trauma of surgery. This was a rough tough surgery. The force needed to ratchet straight those crooked spine vertabre must be pretty violent, I can imagine all our internal organs took a bruising. I could not eat afterwards, my stomach just would not let me swallow. I had a bowel obstruction in the hospital caused by the surgery. I don't have a uterus anymore, but if I did, I have no doubt it too, would have been damaged in the fray. You are not alone. It is like this surgery opens the floodgate for other issues. Hang tough and keep on keeping on, you will find your way out of the woods!
            Wendy
            Fusion T6 to S2 with Dr. Carlos Bagley,
            Duke Spine Center
            Surgery Date June 21, 2013

Comment

Working...
            X