4 weeks and counting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HI,
    I did donate 2 units for both of my surgeries. On the BIG ONE!!! I needed that and 2 more. The surgical team also used a machine called a cell saver---it remained hooked in the surgical site for several days. It amounts to a machine that gathers what you bleed out, cleans it and gives it back to you. It must not be used all of the time as the ICU nurses were really impressed by it. As much as I can remember it was bulky. The lovely post surgical drugs made me think it was a monster!!!{ Very needed after surgerey--but boy oh boy what they do to sane behavior!}
    I went to rehab after 5 days in the hospital but was able to walk the steps there right away. Steps seem to be Ok but you may need someone with you.

I would think children{even teens} will be scared. So many machines so many other sick people. I for one didn't even want to talk. It was hard on my children and they are all adults. So wating a few days is best.
    I could only hold their hand or nod to them any way.

Stay healthy and get as strong as you can. You will need very strong legs that need to remain that way.
    I walked and walked--I had a long time to prepare for surgery as my 1st surgery was done by workers comp and they fight everything.
    Someday I need to say how that came about.

We are all here for you,
    Jackie
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Jackie: I do not know what that big machine was that you had attached to you for a few days. Do you think hat it was some sort of drain? The surgeon used a cell saver on me, but it was a machine used only in the OR and recycled the blood that I suppose was suctioned off the surgical site and then was re-transfused into me in the OR after it was cleansed in some way.

The cell saver obviously saves the need for even more blood than I needed.

Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

One thing you are not going to know about until after surgery. For me it came as quite a shock that I could not reach my rear end in order to take care of my cleaning needs, if you know what I mean. There are things that help if that is the case for you. First, try your non dominate hand to see if you can accomplish the task that way. It took me a while to realize a different approach with a different hand worked. If that doesn't work, there are appliances that help extend your reach. Amazon sells Bottom Buddie online, along with other aids. There àre moist wipes that are really helpful in that way, since assurance of being clean is hard when you can't reach well. I don't know how you feel about it, but I am not planning on letting anyone else take care of that problem for me until after my last breath, if I can help it! Relax and don't worry if you can. I was in the hospital for a week which I don't remember very much about. I remember almost nothing until the end of the two days in ICU. I was at a rehab center for a week. Hated that. I am 63, and I was able to walk up stairs to my bedroom first thing on coming home. Keeping up going upstairs has helped me keep my energy and strength up while I havn't been as active as I want to be. Good luck!
        Wendy
        Fusion T6 to S2 with Dr. Carlos Bagley,
        Duke Spine Center
        Surgery Date June 21, 2013

Comment

My surgeon did not encourage me to donate my own blood and assured me that the blood bank was safe. He thought I would need 4 units, which was correct. I waited until I was fully recovered and have started donating my blood to the Red Cross to "pay it back." I was 60 at the time of my surgery but did not qualify for a rehab. center based on what I was able to do at the hospital following surgery. I was in the hospital 6 days and sent home, however, my husband was able to be off of work to help with cooking and my care. I did not have horrible back pain, but abdomen pain from constipation issues caused by the pain meds. I was able to be weaned off the meds at 5 weeks and started wanting to get out of the house on a daily basis. Being out of the house for lunch or dinner and seeing people was a big aide to recovering.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Cleaning the behind

Originally posted by WLB1 View Post
            One thing you are not going to know about until after surgery. For me it came as quite a shock that I could not reach my rear end in order to take care of my cleaning needs, if you know what I mean. There are things that help if that is the case for you. First, try your non dominate hand to see if you can accomplish the task that way. It took me a while to realize a different approach with a different hand worked. If that doesn't work, there are appliances that help extend your reach. Amazon sells Bottom Buddie online, along with other aids. There àre moist wipes that are really helpful in that way, since assurance of being clean is hard when you can't reach well. I don't know how you feel about it, but I am not planning on letting anyone else take care of that problem for me until after my last breath, if I can help it! Relax and don't worry if you can. I was in the hospital for a week which I don't remember very much about. I remember almost nothing until the end of the two days in ICU. I was at a rehab center for a week. Hated that. I am 63, and I was able to walk up stairs to my bedroom first thing on coming home. Keeping up going upstairs has helped me keep my energy and strength up while I havn't been as active as I want to be. Good luck!
            Purchase a hose-bidet that easily (my husband) attaches to the water line that fills the toilet. It is the best invention ever. I too could not reach and too private to let anyone help. This bidet is absolutely the best!!!!! You shoot water (cold has no effect on both ends) and most is washed away leaving only some little patting with tp and voila you are done. It came handy when I suffered from my gastric problems with 3 wks living on the toilet.
            Gardenia
            Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
            pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
            Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
            T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Thank you all for your feedback. Since I haven't had surgery and certainly nothing like this, your feedback is incredibly helpful. We're starting to do some things around the house to get ready and I'm trying to stay positive despite my fears. Im sure a lot of you can relate. I am lucky to have a great support team, both with family, friends and at work. I do hope to be able to start working PT from home in January and my boss has already set me up with being able to do that. I know this is just a temporary bump in the road and have told my husband and kids that their support and patience mean the world to me. I know this will be hard for them as well. Best of luck to anyone else in the forum that is having their surgery in the next few weeks. Keep in touch and good wishes sent your way!

Comment

Working...
              X