Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr. Hey posted a bunch of interesting videos!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Hey posted a bunch of interesting videos!

http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/

The one where he is talking about a skeletally mature girl wearing a brace for a large double major curve is very sad. I think there might be some blowback from the girl against her parents at some point. I also think that while surgeons must remain diplomatic in the face of nonsense, at some point they have to advocate for the patient sometimes against the parents and the patients themselves. That girl would be a poster child for this in my opinion. They are paying him for his expertise and while I am sure he is giving it, I wonder if he is giving it in a forceful enough manner. The correct outcome would be to take that poor girl out of brace but she's looking at another 6 months in it (all at skeletal maturity). Tough situation. I realize the decision lies with the patient and parents and surgeons can only do so much but I would worry that surgeons might be vulnerable if they are not clear/forceful enough calling a spade a spade on nonsense. It is shocking that girl is looking at another 6 months in brace and will still be a surgical candidate.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 08-23-2013, 06:47 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Dr. Hey should be paying you royalties for promoting him! LOL
    Seriously, that is very sad that the girl is in brace still AND now having pain out of brace. I think the issue of muscle weakness is a real issue and not "No harm, no foul." I'm of the opinion that this atrophy could cause much harm. But, that's just my opinion.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      Dr. Hey should be paying you royalties for promoting him! LOL
      Seriously, that is very sad that the girl is in brace still AND now having pain out of brace. I think the issue of muscle weakness is a real issue and not "No harm, no foul." I'm of the opinion that this atrophy could cause much harm. But, that's just my opinion.
      That's a good point. I think the stakes are even higher on Dr. Hey getting the reality across to them given the brace is not just ineffective but actually causing new problems.

I don't know. I am not saying Dr. Hey is just taking their money because I am sure he is not. But it can look that way when after the visit the girl didn't throw the brace in the garbage during that visit. That is what the result should have been. I am sure Dr. Hey is being factual with these people but perhaps he needs to be more factual. I don't know.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
      X