Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr. Lenke won't do my surgery - Dr. Buchowski?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Lenke won't do my surgery - Dr. Buchowski?

After reviewing my X-rays, Dr. Lenke said my 65 degree curve, etc. isn't "bad" enough for him to do the surgery. His nurse left the message & said that was actually good news. Yeah, but . . I justified traveling 8 hrs. from home because I was going to one of the top surgeons in the country.

Dr. Lenke did refer me to Dr. Buchowski - a spine surgeon in the same practice. I've done some research & what I've read is very good. He's on the SRS & his nurse said he does 1 major back surgery per week.

I searched this site for info on Dr. Buchowski, but only found him in the research area.
    All of you have a lot of personal experience with scoliosis surgery, so I'm asking for opinions!

I do have a consultation appt in October with Dr. Buchowski.

Peg
    Peg
    61 yrs old
    75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
    T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
    Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

It is definitely good news that your scoliosis is not one of the most complicated, however, I'm sorry that Dr. Lenke won't be doing your surgery. On the other hand, I am sure he is totally confident in any surgeon that he would recommend. I can understand that it would be harder to justify the 8 hour drive if not seeing one of the country's best. Good luck in selecting your surgeon. Sometimes, people just seem to know which surgeon is right for them after getting a couple of opinions.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Yeah, I know how you feel. I made SEVERAL 8+ hour trips driving from Ohio to St. Louis consulting with Lenkes partner, Dr. Bridwell. Its a long story that I could go on forever about, but after all the tests, workups, mental and physical preparation, etc, etc, etc, he decided he "dropped the ball", and that he was cancelling the surgery the day before it was scheduled, while I was driving from my hotel to the hospital to get my central line put in. You can probably search on this forum if you want to read about it. My thought has always been that because I'm self employed and have this pre existing condition, I can't get good major medical health insurance, and that's why he decided not to do it at the last minute. I've been trying to signup for new coverage with this new health care reform, but still after 14 days of trying, the website setup to do it won't work. I'm patiently waiting. STILL. Well, maybe not so patiently anymore....Good luck to you...
      Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
      Still unsure of post-op numbers
      37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
      Scoli pics

Comment

Mike, I did read old posts & I remember yours. Having your dr cancel so close to surgery is outrageous! I can't begin to imagine how you must've felt.
        I saw Dr Snook in Columbus several times. He was highly recommended, but red flags went up for me when he said his skills are adequate for my type of surgery!
        Good luck with your insurance. I'm heading to St. Louis next week.

Go Bucks!

Peg
        Peg
        61 yrs old

Comment

Peg,

I too was hoping to have Lenke head up my revision surgery, but am going with his associate Dr. Kelly. Take it as a good thing that you are not bad enough and that someone worse will have an opening with him. I knew there was a slim chance of him doing my correction due to knowing the majority of the cases he takes, but it was worth a try.

Quite frankly anyone at Wash U is going to be top notch! They only take the best of the best, but make sure you feel confident in your decision to go with a particular surgeon. Being in the medical field I probably ask some of the oddest questions to any of my doctors and my first question to Dr. Kelly was "why did you choose to specialize in the spine?" For me this question left him vulnerable and he was not ever asked by a patient that question, so that opened the door for me to get to know him a little. I am passionate about the work I do with my patients and the health of their feet, so I want a surgeon that is just as passionate because that means they will give me all they have and that will be as close to perfection that we as man can strive for.

Just pray for the right decision and the peace in making it. I will keep you in my prayers as well.
          Tamena
          Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Originally posted by osumike View Post
            Yeah, I know how you feel. I made SEVERAL 8+ hour trips driving from Ohio to St. Louis consulting with Lenkes partner, Dr. Bridwell. Its a long story that I could go on forever about, but after all the tests, workups, mental and physical preparation, etc, etc, etc, he decided he "dropped the ball", and that he was cancelling the surgery the day before it was scheduled, while I was driving from my hotel to the hospital to get my central line put in. You can probably search on this forum if you want to read about it. My thought has always been that because I'm self employed and have this pre existing condition, I can't get good major medical health insurance, and that's why he decided not to do it at the last minute. I've been trying to signup for new coverage with this new health care reform, but still after 14 days of trying, the website setup to do it won't work. I'm patiently waiting. STILL. Well, maybe not so patiently anymore....Good luck to you...
            Mike, would you consider traveling to Boston? I know Dr. Rand at the New England Baptist Hospital takes people who don't have great insurance. I know he takes Medicaid people. It would be worth a phone call at the very least. Just google his name to get his phone number. I am on my way to a Doctor appt. or I would get it for you.
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
              Peg,

I too was hoping to have Lenke head up my revision surgery, but am going with his associate Dr. Kelly. Take it as a good thing that you are not bad enough and that someone worse will have an opening with him. I knew there was a slim chance of him doing my correction due to knowing the majority of the cases he takes, but it was worth a try.

Quite frankly anyone at Wash U is going to be top notch! They only take the best of the best, but make sure you feel confident in your decision to go with a particular surgeon. Being in the medical field I probably ask some of the oddest questions to any of my doctors and my first question to Dr. Kelly was "why did you choose to specialize in the spine?" For me this question left him vulnerable and he was not ever asked by a patient that question, so that opened the door for me to get to know him a little. I am passionate about the work I do with my patients and the health of their feet, so I want a surgeon that is just as passionate because that means they will give me all they have and that will be as close to perfection that we as man can strive for.

Just pray for the right decision and the peace in making it. I will keep you in my prayers as well.
              Tamena

Thanks, Tamena. My 1st reaction was: why bother to go to St Louis if I can't have the best?! ( 8 hrs away). My second opinion dr, an SRS doc, told me he'd send his mom to St Louis. That's the 2nd dr who has mentioned St Louis, so I'm on my way for my first consult next week. It's a very good way to look at not having Dr Lenke as far as freeing up a space for someone who needs his skills more than I do - good perspective! Thanks for sharing!

Peg
              Peg
              61 yrs old

Comment

I am down here today to begin my pre-op tests. Today is my full spine MRI and tomorrow is lung test, surgical meeting, and anesthesia. Surgery is November 13. Let the fun begin!
                Tamena
                Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

I know I am prejudice, but I think Dr. Lenke's department is the exceptional even if you don't have Dr. Lenke as your surgeon. He would only choose the best for the department.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Peggy, I had a surgeon on the west coast because I live here. I would not have qualified for Dr. Lenke anyway. There is nothing magic about one doctor. Yes, he is very skilled, but so are so many others around the country. Generally a group of surgeons that work together can usually be recommended. Dr. Lenke has bad outcomes like everyone else. Anyone that he chooses to work with is doctor wise, probably also top notch. He would not work with doctors that would give his hospital a bad reputation. He also would not have spent time training someone who was not phenomenal.

I traveled 12 hours to have surgery with a doctor that I trusted. My first consult is an excellent surgeon and I am certain that my results would have been equally excellent with him. I am lucky to have had 2 great choices.

If you need to travel 8 hours to have top notch surgeon, do it. I would have traveled whatever distance it took to have skilled hands.

Susan
                    Last edited by susancook; 10-21-2013, 02:42 PM.
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

hey Mike
                      sent you a private message...

i think one of the things that made Lenke well known in the scoliosis world
                      was that he was famous for reaching around the body, rather than going
                      in both anterior and posterior approaches...that was what i always read
                      about him on this forum...and also that he took patients that other
                      surgeons might not want to take, as their cases were considered challenging...

jess

Comment

Thanks for the words of encouragement about the other doctors who work with Dr. Lenke!

We're driving to St. Louis tomorrow & my initial appointment with Dr. Buchowski is scheduled for Wed.

Peg
                        Peg
                        61 yrs old

Comment

Working...
                        X