Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My son's surgery moved up to this Thursday 8/15, ready as we can be.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tampamom View Post
    Will see if he keeps his jello and muffin down this morning.
    Just to add some perspective, my first kid was allowed nothing and not even ice chips. I could wet her lips. A year and a half later with the second kid, the surgeon had relaxed this to a few ice chips. She also had tiny sips of water off the little lip sponge. The first three days were hard because they were thirsty but after reading a few testimonials where people claim the bloating pain was worse than their surgery pain, I understand why the surgeon is so strict.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi tampamom,

Hang in there and try to rest when you can, also. These first few days are difficult and exhausting for all. Tomorrow should be a little better than today, and once he is up walking and sitting in a chair he will start to improve more quickly. For today the breathing exercises along with very good pain control are the most important things. Make sure the nurses keep ahead of his pain, rather than reacting to worsening pain. It is best to give the meds on a regular, round the clock schedule rather than waiting for the pain to start getting bad.

Don't forget to drink plenty of water yourself and eat regularly. It is easy to forget to take care of yourself.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Pain Meds during recovery

Figuring out pain meds is hard and just thought I share our ups and downs should future patients/family members want a scenario of what may happen. Everyone's body reacts differently though so this is just an fyi.

Yesterday was a great day, low pain on 10mg percocet every 4 hrs, eating and walking well. Then around dinner he started getting uncomfortable with bloat. Took suppository and that got things moving, felt better. at 3:30 am scheduled med time, his pain level was only a one, so we held off 30 more mins and cut doage in half. That caused pain to increase and for the rest of that morning he battled nausea, wouldn't eat, took 10mg next time and got very light headed, had to stay in bed all day. The nausea was making him miserable so they gave him a shot in the afternoon, with 5mg percocet and hes been sleeping 5 hours straight for the most part now. He did wake to eat (YAY!!!) and is now asleep again. Pain level was at a 4 when eating, he did get up to use the restrooms okayish, but wanted to go right back to bed.

I am guessing he should stay at the smaller dose 5mg next time and maybe do 7.5 in the night if his pain ends up rising from the 5mg dose. But right now asleep, the 5mg dose is fine.

Anyone have any experience with 100lbs teens and percocet dosage please chime in
        Mom to son with new straight spine 8/15/2013 T16, L16
        Pre op T65, L?
        diagnosed 2/21/13 T55, L42

Comment

right hip hurts to walk now.

Curious if anyone else had this problem occur, but today after standing up my sons right hip started to hurt when he walked. So now all day he is walking tip toed on his right foot, and keeping his right hip stiff. Like he doesn't want to swing his leg back in forth when he walks.

I've emailed the nurse. But was curious if anyone else had this problem. I've been so nervous watching his trunk alignment in bed and as he stands, walks. Given his compensatory lumbar curve, which now Xrayed at a 16. I am just worried things might move.

Thanks!
          Mom to son with new straight spine 8/15/2013 T16, L16
          Pre op T65, L?
          diagnosed 2/21/13 T55, L42

Comment

Working...
          X