Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with osteoperosis? Vertebroplasty/Kyphoplasty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience with osteoperosis? Vertebroplasty/Kyphoplasty?

Hi there,

I am actually posting on here for my friend's father. A few months ago, her father (in his 60's) had a sudden onset of severe back pain and went to the hospital to discover that he had a fracture in L3...After tests were run, it was discovered that he has osteoperosis...He was given a brace to stabilize him, pain meds, and I believe they got him on a forteo regimine...

Within the past weekend his pain became much more severe, so he went back to the hospital, where they discovered there were two more fractures....L1 and L5....So a total of 3 fractures...L1, L3 and L5...The doctor is recommending a vertebroplasty and/or kyphoplasty to solve the issue.....

I just wanted to see if anyone has underwent this procedure, had a similar experience, or had any advice that I could pass along....I feel for him...Since I know how much pain he's got to be in...I know I was....But I also know that my recovery (being younger) was/is a lot quicker/easier....(I'm 28 - 10 1/2 months post op from a T2-L3 Fusion to correct my Scheuermann's Kyphosis).

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated....Thanks so much in advance!

Hannah

Hi Hannah...

I haven't had either procedure, but they're pretty much very successful surgeries. They're minimally invasive, so recovery is very quick.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Not going through with Vertebroplasty/Kyphoplasty for now....

The doctor has determined that his bones are too porous from the osteoperosis to go through with the vertebroplasty/kyphoplasty, so they will continue him on the forteo treatment and have him on a steriod and dilaudin right now. He'll be in the hospital a few more days....My heart goes out to him....I feel so bad knowing the pain that he is in....

Comment

Hannah,
        I don't have any answers. I just wanted to say how sorry I am for him. Usually men aren't as much risk so I'm sure that this came as a total surprise to everyone. My mother-in-law had severe osteoporosis. She was always fracturing a vertebra. I'd say she was fracturing them on a regular basis. I don't think they did anything for her. She was in her 80's. It hurt me so much to see her in such pain. She talked about it like it was "nothing" when I KNOW it wasn't nothing. I hope they can figure things out for him. ='(
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
          Hannah,
          I don't have any answers. I just wanted to say how sorry I am for him. Usually men aren't as much risk so I'm sure that this came as a total surprise to everyone. My mother-in-law had severe osteoporosis. She was always fracturing a vertebra. I'd say she was fracturing them on a regular basis. I don't think they did anything for her. She was in her 80's. It hurt me so much to see her in such pain. She talked about it like it was "nothing" when I KNOW it wasn't nothing. I hope they can figure things out for him. ='(
          It was a complete surprise to everyone when they found out....And to make it worse, he has fatty liver disease (heredity-he never drank....), so they have to be careful with what kind of pain killers he has...Another issue, with the pain he's having to endure....What did they do for your mother-in-law when she fractured vertebra? What was the outcome (if you dont mind me asking? I have no experience with osteoperosis and have had little time to do my research on it.....)

This is the third vertebra in the last few months that has been fractured....and he's only in his 60's....And the fact that the doctor can't do the vertebroplasty/kyphoplasty makes me very worried...I asked my friend if the doctor knows what the long term "plan of action" is and she said that right now the doctor is trying to find to root cause of the osteoperosis and hasn't talked about a plan of action....She is so frustrated....The hospital that he is staying at has made MANY stupid mistakes....Medicine mix ups....Accidentally added pecocet (which btw had tylenol in it-which he can't have due to his fatty liver disease-2nd time they'd screwed that one up) to his schedule while he was already on a dilaudin IV....Wrong names on his ID bracelet and many more issues.....I feel so bad for them...I wish there was something that I could do, but don't know what I can do...

Comment

Working...
          X