Surgery Tuesday, 15th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Tuesday, 15th

Okay, we're almost there. AC is scheduled to be at the hospital 6:00 AM Tuesday morning. She had to wear a heart monitor for 24 hours - nurse who took her blood draw noticed an irregular heart beat. Cardiologist read it and said it looked fine. Posterior fusion from L3 to T6, titanium rods and pedicle screws. I have been fine until these last couple days. My patience level is REAL thin (my poor family!) School has been great - they did a temporary 504 Plan which will give her accommodations because of medical reasons. Will update later. Thanks everyone for information and support! God bless!
    Melinda

Good luck!
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

All the very best, we will be thinking of you and saying extra prayers, let us know how it goes. Take care ~Laura
      30y/o
      Upper curve around 55
      Lower curve around 35

Comment

Hi Melinda,

My little one will be having the last of her pre-op testong on Tuesday... surgery is March 9th! We will be praying for you and we wish you the very best!

One mom to another...

Susanna
        Susanna
        ~~~~~~
        Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

I am thinking of your daughter!
          SARAH ~Mother of 3~ 11 year old son had a Posterior Spinal Fusion on March 17, 2005. He had a 77*, right thoracic curve, and was fused T4-L1. His curve is now less than 10 degrees* He is doing great!

Comment

I am thinking of your daughter!
            SARAH ~Mother of 3~ 11 year old son had a Posterior Spinal Fusion on March 17, 2005. He had a 77*, right thoracic curve, and was fused T4-L1. His curve is now less than 10 degrees* He is doing great!

Comment

hi susanna
              i saw your post that you are going to do pre-op tests on Tuesday, let me know how it goes. It will be a long day and alot of waiting around. I was not happy when we went we waited a long time at the pediatric clearance in the hospital i was getting very annoyed. Let me know how everything goes. How is everyone's nerves at your house with everything getting so close.
              Good luck
              Jennifer

Comment

Hi Sarah, Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi Jennifer, How's Nicole feeling? My daughter's doing really well. We have finished up with all the pre-op stuff that can be done in Baltimore. She donated blood this morning. I think it was easier for her because my husband and I have donated blood in the past, and she's gone with us, so there was no great mystery. She was a little jittery, but she did beautifully. She was more interested in the color of her bandage (lime green, her favorite color) and what they were going to give her as a snack (Famous Amos cookies and pretzels).

We are in a pretty good place emotionally. It makes it so much easier when you know you've done your homework, and you really feel like you're putting your child's life in the most competent and experienced hands. We feel absolutely comfortable with Dr. Boachie. I just wish I could protect my daughter from the pain those first few weeks. That's the only thing that's keeping me up at night.

Susanna
                Susanna
                ~~~~~~
                Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

hi susanna
                  oh that's good you were able to do the post op by you. That is great that she was able to donate, i don't know if you remember my nicole ended up not donating, she was hysterical when we went and they wouldn't do her. Then i couldn't find out if i was a match to her, ended up i wasn't, then my husband went to donate and he couldn't. I was freaking out. Needless to say she never even needed any blood during her surgery, i was thrilled. A few days after while in the hospital they said she was alittle anemic and if they had some of her blood they would have gave it to her, but they waited and a few days later the levels were better.
                  glad to hear you guys are doing good emotionally. I know you feel helpless that they are going to go through pain and no one wants their child to have to go through any pain, but she will do fine, just keep thinking of the positive outcome of all this.
                  Nicole is doing really good. She is at the mall with her friends today. Everytime i look at her i am still amazed on how great she is doing.
                  keep in touch before the surgery.
                  jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

I meant to ask you, what exactly did they do when you went for your pre-op visit? We've already done the blood donation, an MRI, pulminary function testing, EKG, and an echocardiogram. What's left? I'm just wondering how much we'll have to go through when we're there.

Susanna
                    Susanna
                    ~~~~~~

Comment

susanna
                      i think that was about it. After those tests we just had a clearance by the physician then after we left the hospital where we had the tests done we went over to boachie's office and he took some bending x-rays and that was it. It sounds like you guys are set to go.

Make sure you pack comfy clothes for yourself.
                      jennifer

Comment

Hmmm, I wonder if we really have to go up on the 2nd for a pre-op visit then? He's already taken bending x-rays of her. Maybe we can just call and verify that he's got everything he needs and skip the 4 hour drive to New York. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Susanna
                        Susanna
                        ~~~~~~

Comment

susanna
                          i would definitely check that out. It can't hurt to ask them. I really can't think of anything else they did that you didn't mention
                          let me know what happens
                          jennifer

Comment

Thanks Jennifer! I'll let you know what they say. Susanna
                            Susanna
                            ~~~~~~

Comment

Good Luck Susanna & AC.
                              Upper Curve: 46 Degrees (pre-op 75 Degrees)
                              Lower Curve: 23 Degrees (pre-op 64 Degrees)
                              Posterior Spinal Fusion on Mar. 2nd 05
                              Dr. Boachie

Comment

Working...
                              X